Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have two male parrotlets. They are from same hatch. Technically they are brothers. They are almost 2 years.

One of them is dominant. MOst of the time they will be fine. But suddenly the dominant one starts chasing the other one like crazy, like to the millisecond and it doesnt let the other parrotlet go out of his sight and doesnt let him do anything includ,ing food and play.
I literally have to separate them so that the calm one can eat some food. When I separate both of them still miss each other, and the submissive one goes to dominant one as soon as I join them.

It takes couple of days to get back to normal. I have to separate them atleast half a day for these couple of days.

Can anyone explain this behavior?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!
Parrotlets don't like to share. They can be quite aggressive with each other, and it has resulted in an unfortunate number of deaths. If one bird is preventing the other from food and violently harassing him, then they NEED separate cages. They can still spend time together supervised out of their cages, but the bullied one deserves better for a life, and the dominant one clearly doesn't want a roommate. There are some options of cages with dividers, or simply two cages beside each other. They have hit an age where they are coming into their full maturity, and it is unlikely to get better. Multiple owners have gone through this, and the only happy final result is separate cages. I fear with this level of violence that if you don't separate them your next post will be about a dead parrotlet. :( Sorry to be blunt, but I wouldn't want that to happen, and it does. (See this thread for another owner with two boys that had to be separated http://talkparrotlets.com/showthread.php?t=67777)

·
Super Moderator
6,544 Posts
Hello, welcome! As Dana shared, this is very common behavior for Parrotlet's, especially two mature males.

You will have to give them each their own cage.
I just purchased a very nice divided cage for my own Birds on Amazon, I quite like it, and I let them play supervised on the top of it with ropes and things to keep them entertained.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
:)Welcome to the forum! Please be careful when your 2 birdies are together. The dominant one will eventually make life so miserable for the weaker one, that you may find some blood . It only takes a split second for one of them to lose a toe or foot.:eek:. ..or eye.
All advice given so far is excellent!

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
I must second everything that's been shared...I'd definitely separate those two, and I'd be cautious about any time together for them. A serious injury can happen very fast, leaving permanent damage. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for you advice.

I bought a divider cage and plan to separate them. But, its going to be tough.

Last 2 times I separated them when they are fighting, they didnt quite take it well. They keep shouting to each other, and whichever bird is kept in the other room goes crazy, not eat, tear down the paper (dominant one more aggressive). Whichever bird is left in original room will eventually become clam. But, by the end of the day, night, they want each other and try to communicate.

They are almost 2 years. The dominant one doesnt let the other bird eat food unless it eats and is full. Haha

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
It is difficult, but you need to put them in separate cages. I don't think they need to be in separate rooms, though, so that should make for calmer birds. A divider cage is a good middle ground, as they can interact, but there is a whole safe space for the poor one that is in danger. Persevere through it, because this is really your only option to have two healthy birds. This is part of the deal you made when you brought them into your life, to do what is best for them even when they disagree with it. Don't let them bully you into doing something dangerous!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for your advice.
Yes, I have decided to keep them in separate cages.

I just need to figure out how to handle that. Waiting for my new cage. Just ordered it earlier today.

Thanks Again.
This forum is very useful with all kinds of advises.

·
Super Moderator
4,460 Posts
thanks for your advice.
Yes, I have decided to keep them in separate cages.

I just need to figure out how to handle that. Waiting for my new cage. Just ordered it earlier today.

Thanks Again.
This forum is very useful with all kinds of advises.
Separate cages is the best way to go, less lost toes that way. I have a hen with a damaged toe that learned that lesson the hard way. :eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your valuable suggestions.
I did buy a divider cage and keeping them separate whenever they are little aggressive. There are days where they are real nice to each other and with me. There are some days the dominating one turns the switch back on and it starts following the other one like to the millisecond, and dont even bother about me.
If I divide them for a day or 2, we are seeing some positive results.

But I am curious what is the reason behind this vigorous following and keeping the other bird in its sight, like an inch part at the most. Is it getting 1) anxious or 2) being irritated and just taking its heat on the other one, because it cant do anything to me. The silent one, when divided, goes and eats by himself and then even it comes back to divider and talk to each other or shout. Even when the dominant one leaves him for few mins, it flies back to him and pokes him and again chase starts.

·
Super Moderator
6,544 Posts
Typical Parrotlet behavior. As long as they have time enough with their own space they should continue (with supervision) being friends but pletts still bicker. My pair when together a few times every day at least tell the other when they are getting annoyed with a little sqack or a nip. then its back to kissy kissy lol

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I have two males, a parakeet and parrotlet.
I take them out one at a time from their cages that are near each other. The parrotlet is more aggressive, not as nice as he used to be.
They like each other but can't be out at the same time. This is normal in the bird world.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Gee, that sounds like reaffirmation of self-identity, even if a negative or unpleasant one; ironically, seems similar to what we humans can do sometimes. It does resemble a person who continues to stay in an abusive relationship. Birds are strange sometimes, us too. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,544 Posts
Sometimes humans stay in abusive relationships with their Birds. I can't help it, i just keep going back. :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts