Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
When I get a girl friend for my Kiwi... I am probaly going to name her "Berry"... I want to stay in t he fruit family! ;)

But I would have to think about "Holly" or "Myia"

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I'll be naming Gelato's girlfriend Sorbet.

Oscar and Maya would be cute. Or maybe grouch? Like Oscar the Grouch? I dunno. I'm sleepy.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Kiwi was a pinch close to being called "Milo"

It was between

Kiwi
Milo
Oatis
and Pickles

I kinda regret not calling him "Milo" It would have been so cute! But Kiwi is cute too :D

I think that Maya is a good idea. It ties into Oscar real well. They are giogn to be a pair, so why not give them something that is "pair...eee"??? ---Gosh... that was gay.--- :(

Sorry, I can't really describe in words that you should give them a name that matches in a way of being almost the same thing.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kiwi was a pinch close to being called "Milo"

I think that Maya is a good idea. It ties into Oscar real well. They are giogn to be a pair, so why not give them something that is "pair...eee"??? ---Gosh... that was gay.--- :(

Sorry, I can't really describe in words that you should give them a name that matches in a way of being almost the same thing.

LOL. Yes, very gay. I guess me saying the "name that glowed in my mind" was pretty gay too. But not as gay as "pair....eee".
lol.
yea, milo would have been nice too!
Im gonna look up what Oscar means.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Lol..... Hopefully no one else will make anymore "gay" comments :)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New!

I've found a local breeder, who my mother knows. She has many birds, and seems like good quality. I am getting a 10 week old green female parrotlet for Oscar!

It's not completely official, but it's very close to happening. I just have to prepare a few things, etc.

I am planning on naming her Maya.
If you have any good ideas, please let me know!!!

I'm excited!
:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, it is official. I just went and picked up a 10 week old female. She is not that tame. The breeder said she hasn't spent much time with them.
But she seems like she will be easy to tame, and make friendly. Just TLC, and lots of handling.

Any tips??

So, everybody, welcome MAYA to the "Gang"!

:):):):):):):):):)

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
She is a doll! Chipper was a wild child, seven month old girl when I got her. Just let her get accustomed to her new home and talk and sing to her. I handled Chipper carefully and fed her safflowers. Before too long, we were best friends. We are SO close now. She sits on me and stares at me all the time. She loves when I sing to her.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We shall see how this turns out!
I'm wondering...
Here is my game plan to get her and Oscar become "buddies" and share a cage. let me know what you think about it:
1*For one to two weeks, keep her in a separate room to prevent any possible sickness from spreading to my other birds.
2*Then, put her in a cage next to Oscar's.
3*Let them play daily, and watch closely.--for weeks, to months.
4*When they are accustomed, and play nice, put them together.
5*If there are any major fights, separate them and start back at step 2
6*Small fights will be discouraged, but not grounds for separation.

·
Registered
835 Posts
1 - suggested quarantine is 30-90 days

Is she from the same place that Oscar came from?

2 - sounds good

3 - good!

4 - Great!

5 - do expect spats, parrotlets are hot tempered and short tempered! They will be sweet and lovey, then one will do something the other doesn't like /want and the yelling will begin. It is rather funny really. But if the cage is large enough it is fine. They def. need personal space

6 - I don't do anything to discourage little fights. They will more likely learn that a little spat will get your attention and there for do it more. Let them work it out.

Keep up the good work!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts