Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have been talking with my breeder. He really doesn't want me to get another female since he feels Gelato is well adjusted and has plenty of interaction.

He didn't say he wouldn't sell me a female, but he is really against me getting a female for Gelato. He just worries they will become family obsessed. I can't argue with the man. He's a well respected veterinarian within the community and a really respected breeder. I don't want to insult the man by saying "I understand what you are saying, but I really dont care... I want the female."

SO, if I do get a female then I will have to get one from a pet store (highly unlikely because I don't like the quality of the parrotlets I've seen, I've wanted to rescue them but I cant support the care the pet store gives them by purchasing them.... it's counter productive) or find another breeder.

Oh these little speed bumps.....well at least if anything I will get the new cage first.:p

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and my quarantine of the Crabby the quaker is over. General and Crabby are in the same room together now, actually all my birds are... General doesn't seem to know what to make of this intruder.

(S)He is used to cats and Gelato... but another Quaker..... General is very curiouos and very vocal atm, I'm not sure if General is saying "What in the world?!" or "WOOOOOOOOO that is not a parrotlet scream, that sounds like me!" Crabby seems to be watching everything.... and talking like normal, a little nervous. Gelato could care less. He's preening himself in between jumping from swing to swing or chewing on his toys.

Hopefully things will be okay. :D

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I am just glad Parrotlet's can't scream!

Glad the quarantine is over.

I got Chipper at a pet store. She is in gorgeous feather and super sweet. She even has a dark turquiose rump! She is a girl. I have read a lot about them and very few girls have so much color. That is kind of fun.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I did not read replies - but parrotlets are VERY easy to prevent from wanting babies. They will mate like crazy but it takes a good bit of effort to get them to actually breed. All you have to do is prevent certain things such as: excessive daylight, over feeding, potential nest, etc.

Some breeders feel threatened if they think someone might be stepping into their territory. A lot of breeders don't understand keeping pairs for the sake of kindness, they see pairs only as breeders.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
catfish - thats great that Crabby's quarantine is over and has joined the rest of your flock. Hopefully everyone will be the best of friends soon. Keep us posted on how things progress.

Regarding the female P'let. I think what Andrea has to say has a lot of merit - I think what she said is the mindset of most breeders, they think in terms of breeding not companions.

As Sally stated there are some great Parrotlets in Pet stores - I'm assuming my male is a Pet store bird also and he's gorgeous in my mind :p - even the pet store birds came for some breeder someplace.

I understand your concern perfectly about not wanting to patronize a store that doesn't keep their birds in good conditions - Look for a store within driving distance of you that is reputable.... a lot of Bird only stores are. You might find a nice female there ;)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I am just glad Parrotlet's can't scream!

Glad the quarantine is over.

I got Chipper at a pet store. She is in gorgeous feather and super sweet. She even has a dark turquiose rump! She is a girl. I have read a lot about them and very few girls have so much color. That is kind of fun.

Sally you might want to do some research on the Lucida Pacific Parrotlet - The Lucida females are more colorful than a normal Pacific hen - Its possible thats what Chipper is ;)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I might get one of my friends to get me a female from the breeder... kinda going behind his back, but I rather get one from him then a pet store. It's not just because they are $125 cheaper, but they are just so much more healthy looking.

As of right now though. . . I'm going to get a larger cage. I think a larger cage would be best atm.

As I type this I have both Crabby and General out with me. They are talking back and forth with each other, but General really has no interest in the new playmate. Their cages have been moved near to each other, but they just talk and thats it. I'm not going to force anything. Crabby isn't very afectionate to me as of yet (he does step up but doesn't want me to scratch his head... We're working on his trust with me), and General always wants to cuddle (General is very sweet and wants to just cuddle and give kisses).

If they become playmates great, but as long as I can have both out together I'm happy. I just wish I could have Gelato out with them, but I think that would be a mistake..... I love my quakers and parrotlet <3, but I know that General does not do well with smaller birds, very much the bully. I rather not risk anyone getting hurt.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Thats great Catfish - I love it when things work out. I'm sure as time goes on General and Crabby will be the best of friends. :)

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I did look it up, emailed a breeder too. I have read about Pacifics having a turquiose rump. Not often. I will keep trying to read about it.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
catfish,

If the breeder is someone who you will be having dealings with in the future, I'd play it straight with him - it alway works out better in the end.

Just tell him that you appreciate his opinion but have decided that you would like to take the risk of getting a second bird, because you believe the rewards outweigh the risks.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm just not sure what to do atm. He's very...ecentric? He's one of those people that is always right, whether they are wrong or not. So I have to play my cards right.

We'll see what happens... maybe I can find another parrotlet breeder that is just as good around OKC...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts