Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’ve seen quite a few threads on here about egg laying. I’m wondering statistically how many pet female parrotlets without mates have laid eggs. I would love just pure statistics on female parrotlets and whether or not they ever laid eggs. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,741 Posts
Not sure I have seen any science on it. I know that my female that I had 8 years did not lay any eggs while I had her. She was a rescue so I do not know what she did before I got her or how old she was.

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Two female, neither ever laid eggs. One even had a mate, still never laid an egg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! We got Penny in January 2020, she has laid 4 clutches since then. Per her avian vet, she's a prolific egg layer!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I’ve seen quite a few threads on here about egg laying. I’m wondering statistically how many pet female parrotlets without mates have laid eggs. I would love just pure statistics on female parrotlets and whether or not they ever laid eggs. Thanks!
I have two females. One lays a clutch of 4 or 5 twice a year and is very hormonal. My other lady has never laid an egg and displays no hormonal activity! I have had them for 3years now and have tried everything to get the egg layer to stop laying and being hormonal.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
There are shots that can regulate the hormones of the hen. These shots are ' iffy ' at best if they work, and, from what I understand, expensive!
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are shots that can regulate the hormones of the hen. These shots are ' iffy ' at best if they work, and, from what I understand, expensive!
Dave
We have Penny on monthly Lupron shots, they cost $75 per shot (here in NJ). She still gets hormonal at week 3 and we have to try and thwart the behavior with stepped-up environmental distractions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts