Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 month old Pacific male, who classifies me as his mate and will not interact with my children or husband. He bites, and lunges at them when they are near me. During his molt, I noticed he began to pluck his feathers on his breast and some down his back between his wings. Spoke with his breeder and received good tips, followed them and feathers began to grow for a few weeks. Now just a month later he's back to plucking and is looking quite shabby, just downy feathers with bare patches. I believe he's got separation anxiety since I work almost full time.Also, running to sports 4 nights a week. So not as much time spent with him as I'd like to give. He has lots of toys, fed well, good lighting. Wondering if he'd benefit from another feathered friend?? If so, male, female?? One cage or two.Anyone with tips or advice I'd love to know, since this is new territory for me.

Concerned about Keiko...

·
Registered
835 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, Andrea, please do go into more detail, I'd be very interested in your viewpoints. The thread titled "one or two" that we both have posted to could might be a better thread.

It does seem that getting two at once would be better than getting one and then adding another, that way there is no "invader" coming into the cage. Because of this, I want to sort out the one or two issue before buying a bird.

Thanks in advance for you insights.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the links. Getting a feathered friend is turning out to be more complicated than I thought, but I am learning a lot about them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Well you are definitely doing it the right way – most of us just jump in and have to suffer the consequences later.

Yours will have everything ready and be much better off for it :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Feather plucking story/mystery

:confused: "Wednesday" began plucking (actually it was more like chewing) with her first molt. This was not a neglected bird -- if anything, she's spoiled rotten (I mean that lovingly). Diet, exercise, clean cage, bottled water only, etc., basically we worship her! So, when she began to chew her feathers off at the base, AND the tips of her tailfeathers began to look shreadded, I was very concerned and confounded by her condition. She was eating well, and behavior was ok, but I realized that the avian vet would be my next stop.

One day I was doing laundry. Standing in my kitchen near the service porch, Wednesday suddenly bolted from my shoulder and flew to the laundry tub that was emptying from the washer into the deep tub sink. That little girl dove right in!!! There was a foot of suds atop the water and you can imagine the panic as I grasped with futile effort to find her, hoping she would not get swirled down the drain, OR poisoned from the soap. I got her out - she then bit me, wriggled out of my slippery hand, and darn it if she didn't dive right back in!!! Well, I got her out again and tossed her under my shirt to be sure she didn't do it again. Needless to say, laundry tubs and birds don't mix. Moral of the story - expect the unexpected! Always close the service porch door when doing laundry.

However, as to how it pertains to your problem -- here is my little mystery: Within two days whatever was wrong with her feathers was cured. She immediately began to sprout new feathers and by the time they came in fully she was as beautiful as ever! I am not certain as to whether it was her sudsy dunking, but the coincidence was dumbfounding. PLEASE NOTE: I am not advocating that you dunk ANY bird in laundry soap! However, since then she has had a tendency to chew during her annual molt. What I have done then is to encourage daily bathing especially around her "time of the year." Oddly, she tolerates and seems to enjoy my holding her under a tepid water stream (neck down only) to get a maximum of soakage. She then gets to stay with me during the drying/preening phase (a reward, but mainly to keep her body temp up). For some reason, the soaking seems to help keep the chewing to a minimum. She still bathes in a triditional way, but the way they toss the water around, most of it misses the intended target. Of course it is still fun to watch.

I am interested to know when/if you resolve your problem. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Feather plucking story/mystery

:confused: "Wednesday" began plucking (actually it was more like chewing) with her first molt. This was not a neglected bird -- if anything, she's spoiled rotten (I mean that lovingly). Diet, exercise, clean cage, bottled water only, etc., basically we worship her! So, when she began to chew her feathers off at the base, AND the tips of her tailfeathers began to look shreadded, I was very concerned and confounded by her condition. She was eating well, and behavior was ok, but I realized that the avian vet would be my next stop.

One day I was doing laundry. Standing in my kitchen near the service porch, Wednesday suddenly bolted from my shoulder and flew to the laundry tub that was emptying from the washer into the deep tub sink. That little girl dove right in!!! There was a foot of suds atop the water and you can imagine the panic as I grasped with futile effort to find her, hoping she would not get swirled down the drain, OR poisoned from the soap. I got her out - she then bit me, wriggled out of my slippery hand, and darn it if she didn't dive right back in!!! Well, I got her out again and tossed her under my shirt to be sure she didn't do it again. Needless to say, laundry tubs and birds don't mix. Moral of the story - expect the unexpected! Always close the service porch door when doing laundry.

However, as to how it pertains to your problem -- here is my little mystery: Within two days whatever was wrong with her feathers was cured. She immediately began to sprout new feathers and by the time they came in fully she was as beautiful as ever! I am not certain as to whether it was her sudsy dunking, but the coincidence was dumbfounding. PLEASE NOTE: I am not advocating that you dunk ANY bird in laundry soap! However, since then she has had a tendency to chew during her annual molt. What I have done then is to encourage daily bathing especially around her "time of the year." Oddly, she tolerates and seems to enjoy my holding her under a tepid water stream (neck down only) to get a maximum of soakage. She then gets to stay with me during the drying/preening phase (a reward, but mainly to keep her body temp up). For some reason, the soaking seems to help keep the chewing to a minimum. She still bathes in a triditional way, but the way they toss the water around, most of it misses the intended target. Of course it is still fun to watch.

I am interested to know when/if you resolve your problem. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Wow, what a story! I think I typed this in the feather picking post, but it does help to bathe/shower your bird till drenched up to three times daily to get them past picking. Kind of relates to your little one dive bombing into the water! She obviously new she needed it. thanks for sharing this story.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wondered if my Keiko needs more bathing than what he does on his own. I've noticed he's very hesitant and scatters when I encourage a gentle shower under the kitchen faucet. He only bathes in his water dish which I end up changing 3-4 times a day. I'm assuming I'll have to perservere and slowly get him to like water other than that in his cage. I had to wear heavy gloves to avoid being bitten in order to wet him, but didn't want to freak him out totally. Any other suggestions on how to get a hesitant p'let to like water??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts