Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1 year old parrotlet (Wendell) is absolutely terrified of anything that is gray, silver or alluminum coloured. He is normally very inquisitive and adventurous. I am wondering if this is something "hard wired" into these little guy's brains in avoiding predators. Has anyone else noticed this fear related to colour?

Stephen:confused:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sam was very afraid of bright colors. He liked dulled colors. He was also afraid of balloons. :p

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave,
That's really odd as Wendell absolutely loves bright colors and is afraid of dull ones. If I put on something red, yellow or blue he goes absolutely nuts, running back and forth and saying "that's good" over and over........
Stephen

·
Registered
78 Posts
I haven't noticed any color fears with our parrotlets yet, but our green cheek we had before was scared of orange colored things. He would go nuts!

I'm not sure why things like that come up (when it's not in relation to a bad experience). But after a long time he did learn to tolerate orange. We helped by bringing orange objects around just for him to see (never taunted him or left orange objects near him all the time) then we would remove it. He eventually learned that orange thigns weren't going to hurt him, but he still wanted nothing to do with them. He got good enough that he would sit on me when wearing my one orange shirt tho.

If it seems to be a big problem, you can try that. Depending on the level of fear of course. Take it very slow and easy. Never force anything.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hey Stephen

Stephen I just read an article by S. Molenda and she said that real talking p'lets are rare but doesn't Wendell talk and talk. How did he start doing that . Tell us Wendell 's story if you would, he seems to be the cutest little bird. I notice that he looks straight into the camera , he's not shy is he? How did you get him, what are his hobbies who's he dating, where does he plan to go to college? Tell him we are admiring him. :) :) :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
memmey,
Thanks for getting in touch......I'm going to start a new topic "Wendell Talking" to answer your questions about him talking. Feel free to contact me for any more info....
Stephen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts