Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it happened. I have had parrotlets since 2013. Now on my 3rd little guy. We have ran our ceiling fans on low the whole time with not issue. Well not today. Rio took off like a bat out of hell for no reason and went straight into one. Knocked him straight to the ground. Little yellow feathers everywhere. He has been scalped. There is a hole in his feather coat on his head you can put a few peas in. Can see all the way to his skin.
He took it well. Jumped up and flew again right away. He was a bit stunned for a bit and has been really huggy and soaking up attention every since. Still it is a scare for all.

• Sad
Reactions: kiwi_and_avocado

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Poor Rio!!!!! He looked so guilty in the pic. Remember when I wrote to the forum about Bogie hitting the fan? I usually kept the ceiling fan on low, but that day, it was off. He flew right into the end of the blade and down he went. He had a bald patch on the front of his chest the size of a nickle. It took six weeks for him to get his feather's back. I almost had a heart attack when that happened! He never went near that fan, ever! I turn it off and ....Wham!

Rio should be okay. It has been 3 days...how is he?

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well it happened. I have had parrotlets since 2013. Now on my 3rd little guy. We have ran our ceiling fans on low the whole time with not issue. Well not today. Rio took off like a bat out of hell for no reason and went straight into one. Knocked him straight to the ground. Little yellow feathers everywhere. He has been scalped. There is a hole in his feather coat on his head you can put a few peas in. Can see all the way to his skin.
He took it well. Jumped up and flew again right away. He was a bit stunned for a bit and has been really huggy and soaking up attention every since. Still it is a scare for all.
Sweet, sweet baby! Prayers for a full recovery. I fear this all the time, have run fans all my life winter and summer and really have to consciencly think about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am leaving town for 3 days and leaving my sweet Archie , parrotlet, with my family. They are really nervous about letting him out of the cage. I’m worried a bit they he may struggle to find me? Have not left him yet, have had him for about 3 months. Any advice for separation anxiety?

·
Super Moderator
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Poor Rio!!!!! He looked so guilty in the pic. Remember when I wrote to the forum about Bogie hitting the fan? I usually kept the ceiling fan on low, but that day, it was off. He flew right into the end of the blade and down he went. He had a bald patch on the front of his chest the size of a nickle. It took six weeks for him to get his feather's back. I almost had a heart attack when that happened! He never went near that fan, ever! I turn it off and ....Wham!

Rio should be okay. It has been 3 days...how is he?

Dave
Rio is doing just fine. We are still a bit traumatized. My wife is being really attentive about it.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I am leaving town for 3 days and leaving my sweet Archie , parrotlet, with my family. They are really nervous about letting him out of the cage. I’m worried a bit they he may struggle to find me? Have not left him yet, have had him for about 3 months. Any advice for separation anxiety?
I recently left my guy with my son and his wife for 10 days. I would not have let hi out if I took him with me so I figured he would be better off in his big cage if he was not going to be let out. He is back to his skittish ways now that we are home but I also have my nails painted and that could be an issue. He did look happy to see me when I walked in.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am the queen of anxiety when it comes to leaving my guy. The last time I had to leave him at the bird store where I purchased him. He did fine. We had driven about 100 feet when he started our flock call, then started talking like crazy. He forgave me quickly.

·
Super Moderator
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a quick update. Rio seems to be doing fine. He just has that weird bald spot on his head. I hope it fills in. Hopefully sooner than later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts