Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Faster Bonding, Less Stress

87K views 116 replies 59 participants last post by  Gia_of_the_Birds 
#1 ·
While surfing a budgies site I often to go, (I have two budgies as well as my Parrotlet, Marco, and my cockatiel, Kermit), I noticed a thread on, "Millet Training".

Needless to say, after not having made much progress with Marco the first year I'd had her, I read on.

There were only 6 simple steps, and, along with a detailed explanation, there was a very instructive video placed on Youtube. So, I tried it.

Low and behold, Marco is now "investigating" my hand, eating not only millet but other "treats" such as lettuce, (not iceburg), and parsley from my hand, but she's also coming over when I'm sitting near her cage, and puffing up/watching my movements. She seems so much happier, and more interested in me!

So, I figured, after searching to see if there were any threads on here about it, that I'd post it for other struggling owners.

The Thread:http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=24092

The Videos:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkkT0i376rI
and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B3x2dx_9hM

Hope this helps one or more of you guys the way it has helped me. :D

See less See more
#86 ·
Drawing blood and biting hard is biting. Testing is gentle. Tell him no and gentle beak. Do not let him know it hurts. Don't make a sound except a gentle no and gentle beak. Remember they love reactions and any loud noise is a reaction. Take the millet away and don't work with him again for at least a 1/2 hour. Don't punish but just ignore him. He may be stressed if you are working with him for any length of time. It should be the most 5 - 10 minutes a couple of times a day. Let us know

#88 · (Edited)
He doesn't seem to react to no or gentle beak...can I even start training gentle beak if he won't let me touch him in the first place?

I am keeping the sessions short - about 5 minutes each.

Edit: I realized that sounded a bit testy. I really appreciate the help! This is already so much more useful than the book I bought.

#91 ·
Well, this is what I do to get them to step up. Instead of pulling the millet away, I put a finger between them and the millet, so that they have to sort of lean over to get the millet. Once he's comfortable with that, I take the finger that he has to lean over and push into his belly and keep pushing until he either steps on (which most will) or he falls off the perch.

#92 ·
Help

I've had my parrotlet Zoe for 5 months. She still isn't super friendly towards me. She is however becoming more friendly with my husband. My husband doesn't want anything to do with her. Yet she preens him and will willingly jump on his shoulder. I don't know what to do. Any ideas or advice?

#93 ·
I've had my parrotlet Zoe for 5 months. She still isn't super friendly towards me. She is however becoming more friendly with my husband. My husband doesn't want anything to do with her. Yet she preens him and will willingly jump on his shoulder. I don't know what to do. Any ideas or advice?

I would have your husband ignore Zoe and have you try to entice her back to you with some goodies, like millet or hemp seeds (whatever she's willing to work for).

#94 ·
While surfing a budgies site I often to go, (I have two budgies as well as my Parrotlet, Marco, and my cockatiel, Kermit), I noticed a thread on, "Millet Training".

Needless to say, after not having made much progress with Marco the first year I'd had her, I read on.

There were only 6 simple steps, and, along with a detailed explanation, there was a very instructive video placed on Youtube. So, I tried it.

Low and behold, Marco is now "investigating" my hand, eating not only millet but other "treats" such as lettuce, (not iceburg), and parsley from my hand, but she's also coming over when I'm sitting near her cage, and puffing up/watching my movements. She seems so much happier, and more interested in me!

So, I figured, after searching to see if there were any threads on here about it, that I'd post it for other struggling owners.

The Thread:http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=24092

The Videos:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkkT0i376rI
and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B3x2dx_9hM

Hope this helps one or more of you guys the way it has helped me. :D
This is great for parakeets, but were talking parrotlets here. Two different issues.

#95 ·
Actually, it does help with parrotlets. We have a thread on millet training on the forum. The basics work from budgies to Amazons. It just that p'lets are a little harder to deal with as are the bigger parrots but it just more patience.

#96 ·
My bird Zoe is 3.5 I've had her for 5 months. She was handled some by the previous owners. She steps up and will ride around on your shoulder or head if you put her there, but she still isn't very friendly. I talk softly to her and give her as much space as she wants. I give her millet when she is out of her cage. I just don't know. Is she a lost caused.

#97 ·
It depends on the bird's personality and its past, it also depends on you, your personality and the effort / resources you are willing to put into it. Are you working with the bird daily to socialize it?

We have 2, 3+ year olds that had lost their tames to the point that their last owner was chasing them down with a net, since they would run from her and bite her. We now have them potty trained, step up, they regularly land on us, play with us, one says pretty bird, etc. They are a work in progress but they have came a long way with us, so I can say that in some situations it is possible to get a good bird out of an older one. I am not sure they will ever be as trusting \ cuddly as a young one owner bird but we are trying and maybe one day we will get there. :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#98 ·
I take her out of her cage and have her ride around on me while doing chores, I talk to her all of the time. If I'm home her cage is open. At night I take her out to try to play with her and I read books out loud to her. I know it can be a slow process, but in 5 months I've only succeeded in getting her to step up to get out if her cage so I don't have to towel her anymore. I'm afraid she won't ever really warm up to me.

#101 ·
Having just got Sausage on Sunday I started the millet training on Monday evening having given her 24hrs to begin to settle. Monday she just looked at the millet as if to say 'yeah, what do I want with that?'. Yesterday however she was more curious and nibbled it a bit while I praised her and told her she was a good girl. Today hopefully things will move a tiny step further or maybe not but we'll keep trying. I keep telling myself I am at the start of potentially a 30 year journey and it will take baby steps to get there.

#109 ·
Hi all!

I'm trying this with Chocobo, it's working really well because he loves his millet! I've reached the stage of actually getting him to step onto my hand, but despite how comfortable he is with me putting my hands close to him while he is eating the millet usually (and his willingness to go through with every other step in the training), he does not like the idea of stepping up! When I put up a finger he looked so tempted by the millet, I thought he might do it... but then opted for just biting the finger repeatedly. Ah well, patience and persistence I suppose! Clearly Chocobo knows I'm not giving up, he's currently sat sharpening his beak for me on his favourite toy...

#112 ·
My parrotlet lifts the door on her cage by herself. Is this a sign she wants out of the cage? Lol
Haha! Yes it might be. I have little ropes on the outside of my cages, this way I can open the door and if they want to come out they can do so without having to get on my hand. Only an issue with one of my Birds, he hates hands. Could be a good way to get her comfortable!
Is she clipped or flighted?

Oh and secure the door, they are escape artists... Lol

#113 ·
It is definitely a sign of boredom. Birds don't belong full-time in cages. Cages are like bedrooms - places to go back to, but not places to live in.
You might want to get a new cage. The Vision line of cages can't be escaped from, and the M02 is great for parrotlets!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.