Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Having just got Sausage on Sunday I started the millet training on Monday evening having given her 24hrs to begin to settle. Monday she just looked at the millet as if to say 'yeah, what do I want with that?'. Yesterday however she was more curious and nibbled it a bit while I praised her and told her she was a good girl. Today hopefully things will move a tiny step further or maybe not but we'll keep trying. I keep telling myself I am at the start of potentially a 30 year journey and it will take baby steps to get there.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Having just got Sausage on Sunday I started the millet training on Monday evening having given her 24hrs to begin to settle. Monday she just looked at the millet as if to say 'yeah, what do I want with that?'. Yesterday however she was more curious and nibbled it a bit while I praised her and told her she was a good girl. Today hopefully things will move a tiny step further or maybe not but we'll keep trying. I keep telling myself I am at the start of potentially a 30 year journey and it will take baby steps to get there.
Those are really good videos.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
The problem I ran into is Kiwi figured out how to get the millet without stepping on my evil hand. It might help if my hands weren't so small!

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
The problem I ran into is Kiwi figured out how to get the millet without stepping on my evil hand. It might help if my hands weren't so small!
Use two hands... at least that's what I do when I run into that problem...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi all!

I'm trying this with Chocobo, it's working really well because he loves his millet! I've reached the stage of actually getting him to step onto my hand, but despite how comfortable he is with me putting my hands close to him while he is eating the millet usually (and his willingness to go through with every other step in the training), he does not like the idea of stepping up! When I put up a finger he looked so tempted by the millet, I thought he might do it... but then opted for just biting the finger repeatedly. Ah well, patience and persistence I suppose! Clearly Chocobo knows I'm not giving up, he's currently sat sharpening his beak for me on his favourite toy...

·
Super Moderator
6,601 Posts
My parrotlet lifts the door on her cage by herself. Is this a sign she wants out of the cage? Lol
Haha! Yes it might be. I have little ropes on the outside of my cages, this way I can open the door and if they want to come out they can do so without having to get on my hand. Only an issue with one of my Birds, he hates hands. Could be a good way to get her comfortable!
Is she clipped or flighted?

Oh and secure the door, they are escape artists... Lol

·
Super Moderator
5,048 Posts
It is definitely a sign of boredom. Birds don't belong full-time in cages. Cages are like bedrooms - places to go back to, but not places to live in.
You might want to get a new cage. The Vision line of cages can't be escaped from, and the M02 is great for parrotlets!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Well this was an interesting read seems like my Pip is not as bad off as some of these little guys. The first video that is linked and the post to the other forum do not work anymore though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The first video is unavailable for me. Not sure if it is just my region or it is just gone. The second one starts at step 7. Can anyone fill me in?

·
Super Moderator
4,572 Posts
The first video is unavailable for me. Not sure if it is just my region or it is just gone. The second one starts at step 7. Can anyone fill me in?
This was from 2009, looks like the links have been deactivated.

101 - 116 of 116 Posts