Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find part 1 of the vid? it seems to be removed from youtube for some reason >_<

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just got Oliver a couple of days ago from a breeder that has hand-fed him and given him personal attention every day. I left him alone for the first 24 hours and then tried to remove him from his cage with no success. He avoided my hand at all costs and refused to even step on it. My boyfriend managed to get him out basically by grabbing him and cupping Oliver in his hand, but Oliver would fly away if he un-cupped his hands (his wings are clipped, so it was more of a fluttering away). He was very bitey but did let us pet his head and neck. This morning we basically repeated the same thing, which I was very unhappy about because I could see that Oliver was definitely not enjoying that type of interaction. My breeder told me to keep millet in his cage for the first two weeks because he's so young, but I really want to start millet training because that seems to be much friendlier to the birds and to my hands (he bites HARD). So should I wait two weeks to start millet training or take the millet out of his cage and start training now?

Thanks

·
Registered
736 Posts
First of all NEVER grab the bird out of the cage. Each time you do it's a major set back with his trust. If he's eating other food you can probably take the millet out of his cage to start the millet training. But be sure to pay attention, if he's not eating other foods yet, don't take it out.

It takes a LONG time with these little guys. You can't expect them to be all cuddly and friendly in a few days. With Virgil the first couple days I just sat by his cage, and talked to him, sang to him, and went about my regular day so he could see me and know I wasn't a threat. He was eating, so I was able to start the millet training. I never tried to pick him up, I let him come to me. Sometimes he'd stay with me only a couple minuites. I never forced him to be near me.

NOW.....he wants to be with me every second of the day lol. The hardest thing as a new parrotlet owner is patience! I can't emphasize it enough!

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
I would agree. Give him time to settle down. He's been taken away from his normal environment, people, and other birds. He needs to adjust. Some birds adjust faster than others. You may not want to remove the millet as some young birds have died because they don't eat. You may want to try something else like sunflower or hemp seeds to see if he's willing to go for that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I wouldn't grab him if he doesn't want to come to you it is best to keep taking, offer the millet and give it some time. I took our parrotlet jack 3 years to come around for my husband and I now he sees us as his "flock" mates we don't have too many issues. Hang in there :) I know how you feel

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thank you for the help. This forum has helped me a lot. I felt so sad that my bird didn't want to be around me even though he has been hand-fed since he hatched, but now I see that's just the way a parrotlet is in a new environment. I've spent the day just sitting by his cage and knitting so he can watch me and I can watch him. Already he seems a little more comfortable having me around. I just keep thinking to myself: "Baby steps and patience, patience, patience!"

·
Registered
736 Posts
That's the best thing. I know it's hard, they are soo sweet and adorable and it's almost impossible not to love on them. But in time you'll get your chance! :) Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have 5 min by myself! lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Progress!!

:D Today Oliver ate millet that I was holding! We've made it through the first step of millet training! Oliver went from being wary of me even being near his cage to tweeting along with me while I sang (Oliver is partial to 60's and 70's rock, especially the Beatles) and eating millet from my hand. I was even able to skooch my hand a little closer to him while he's eating!

It's so uplifting to know that my parrotlet is starting to accept and trust me!:eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
You are quite welcome. Can I get sticky status? That way we'll be able to refer frustrated owners to the video and threads.
I tried to watch part one of your video and it wouldn't download. Do you know what the problem might be? The second part downloaded and was very informative.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Millet Training

I used millet training with my budgie (who I sadly lost last month and I'm now the proud, yet frustrated new parrotlet owner) also and it worked. For some reason my new bird who is supposed to be only 10 wks handfed so I thought he'd be less scared and more friendly, anyways he just isn't interested in the millet or coming out of his cage. When I do make him come out, he'll do step up only to be rescued to the floor to where he has jumped in trying to get away from me and back to his cage. Am I expecting too much too soon? I expected to spend months taming and getting my budgie bonded to me because he was a store bought, parent raised, young bird. I thought the main reason for looking and buying a handfed baby parrot was that they would be already pretty friendly and trusting...................no?

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Try leaving the millet in his cage and see if he'll warm up to it and eat it. Otherwise, millet may not be his favorite treat, you can try other seeds like hemp/sunflower/coconut flakes...

As for handfed, it doesn't always equal hand tamed. It also varies with different personalities. I had gotten a 7 month old parent raised, never handled p'let from a breeder. He told me she wasn't scared and should tame easily, but he never worked with her. I got her anyway, and she tamed down so quickly! She was fearless and willing to do just about anything!

I've heard of other members who had gotten handfed babies, thinking that they'll tame more easily. That's generally true, but at the same time, they move into a new home without their birdie buddies; that's usually a lot of stress for them and that makes them scared. Also, it depends on how much the babies have been handled. Some babies are never handled even though they're handfed.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm going to have to try this because Kirby just seems to be spiriling downward and getting worse. He's like a little terror now. I can no longer even put my hand on the outside of his cage without him trying to attack.Forget about trying to put my hand in for anything. He runs to the back corner like when he first came home. Im so gentle with him and dont force him to do anything. Lets see what happens.

-Totally bummed out :0(

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
I'm going to have to try this because Kirby just seems to be spiriling downward and getting worse. He's like a little terror now. I can no longer even put my hand on the outside of his cage without him trying to attack.Forget about trying to put my hand in for anything. He runs to the back corner like when he first came home. Im so gentle with him and dont force him to do anything. Lets see what happens.

-Totally bummed out :0(
Did anything change? Cage placement? Toys? There probably was something that scared him and may still be scaring him, besides just being afraid of you.

·
Registered
142 Posts
We took out his happy hut on friday (getting aggressive) but saturday he seemed just fine singing and even playing like usual. I did also mist him Saturday and he got over it once he dried. Thats only the only thing I can think of.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Could be the happy hut, he probably feels like he doesn't have anywhere to hide anymore. I still wouldn't put it back in, he'll get over it with time and persistence. If his cage isn't in a corner where at least 2 sides are protected by walls, you may want to consider trying that too. That way he doesn't feel as "exposed".

·
Registered
65 Posts
My parrotlet eats his normal food now...however i have had him since tuesday and hes been so scared cause i have 3 small kids that are noisey....however here soon school will be starting and my two oldest will be in school most of the day so im hopeing that he will calm down some....he lets me through out the day on rare occasions pet the back of his head he really likes it he makes some kind of squeaking noise but evertime in the evening i let him out he flies out what lil bit he can fly but i can lay my hand flat and he pearches on it just fine....but then he either wants to climb the curtin or go to my hair when he goes into my hair he gets all snuggled up and is just fine...if he bites me i take him out and put him on the back of my couch and he paces back n forth till i set back down...i dont have a problem babing him and giving him all the attention he wants but right now for being a hand fed handled lil guy who loves to cuddle....i dont know what to do cause hes my first p'let...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ahhh
The first video doesnt work. Simple question, i just got my 3.5mth old plet 2 days ago. Shes very curious and like to be petted on the beam through the bars. How long until i start trying to tame her. She was suppsedly hand fed by the breeder at 10 days.
When should the tameing begin?

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
I think the taming should begin as soon as she's comfortable and settled in the home. If she's already letting you pet her, then you can definitely try putting your hand in the cage and see what she does.

61 - 80 of 116 Posts