Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While surfing a budgies site I often to go, (I have two budgies as well as my Parrotlet, Marco, and my cockatiel, Kermit), I noticed a thread on, "Millet Training".

Needless to say, after not having made much progress with Marco the first year I'd had her, I read on.

There were only 6 simple steps, and, along with a detailed explanation, there was a very instructive video placed on Youtube. So, I tried it.

Low and behold, Marco is now "investigating" my hand, eating not only millet but other "treats" such as lettuce, (not iceburg), and parsley from my hand, but she's also coming over when I'm sitting near her cage, and puffing up/watching my movements. She seems so much happier, and more interested in me!

So, I figured, after searching to see if there were any threads on here about it, that I'd post it for other struggling owners.

The Thread:http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=24092

The Videos:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkkT0i376rI
and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B3x2dx_9hM

Hope this helps one or more of you guys the way it has helped me. :D

·
Registered
636 Posts
WOw thats pretty interesting, I've never heard of it before - clicker training but not millet training, cool!! Thats awesome that Marco took to it so fast as well!!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Yes, and it's just as applicable to Parrotlets as Budgies. Patience and positive reinforcment do work wonders! It does backfire to force or grab a bird in order to try and tame the bird.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
When I brought Callie home she did not want to step onto my hand to get out of her cage. She would only come out and climb on top, then bite if I tried to come near. I was frustrated with this situation, as I knew in the future if going to the vet, and other 'taking out of cage' situations, this behaviour would prove to be difficult. So using millet training, I taught her that if she wanted to come out of her cage (which she was showing obvious signs she wanted out) she had to step up onto my hand. Within 2 days she had this down pat :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys! The best part is that each day she does better. She let me pet her stomach today! :)

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
thanks for posting the video - many of us tell impatient or frustrated owners having problems with taming to be patient, work slowly, reward with millet, etc., but this video showed all that and hopefully will help many people with their birds!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for posting the video - many of us tell impatient or frustrated owners having problems with taming to be patient, work slowly, reward with millet, etc., but this video showed all that and hopefully will help many people with their birds!

You are quite welcome. Can I get sticky status? That way we'll be able to refer frustrated owners to the video and threads.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This was really informative! I don't have problems with getting Katie out of her cage, but as I have said before, I have been the last resort to some skid row birds, and I used the "grab" method on some of them. It DID work, and was probably a pretty brilliant and brave idea for a 12 year-old kid to come up with, especially considering the lack of resources like the internet back in the 80's, but millet training is certainly a kinder more gentle way to get a scaredy-bird to come out!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Give him time. He needs to start feeling secure and safe at your house before you can expect much. Clip some millet in there next to a perch, and as soon as you see he's eating it and learning how delicious it is, then you can start using it for training treats.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Chapala is right- and you've only had your little one for three days! Millet is kinda like "Pringles" chips for birds, they can't eat just one!

My Parrotlet came home at about 8 1/2 weeks, and the day I bought her, she was still in her brooder, and I had to wait three days before I could bring her home because they wanted to transition her to a cage, and make sure she was eating seed. I was fortunate to buy Katie from a pet store that also breeds their Parrotlets and they say they spend at least one to two hours a day holding the babies, so when I brought Katie home, she was very used to people, and she is always eager to come out of her cage, but some of these little guys don't get that one-on-one time with humans.

I'm chuckling right now because here I am typing, and Katie is on her play gym, which is full of fun toys and things to do, but she's whining at me because she'd rather sit on my shoulder, which always ends up in her repelling down my shirt to get to the keyboard so she can stand on the keys and be a general nuisance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the links! We recently had a 14 month old parrotlet come into our household that has not been handled. We'll try this method with him and let everyone know how it works.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
I've been using a similar method with Noodle and it's been working great. I got him to perch on my finger after 2 weeks! But we've seem to have plateaued because he's still scared of my moving fingers and still doesn't like it when my hand approaches him.

Here I thought Noodle was just really smart! (not that he isn't). The only other thing that I do is limit the amount of food he gets to make sure he's a bit hungry for the millet. When I'm done training for the day, he gets his evening meal.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my p'let wont even eat the millet i left in his cage.. he only eat his seeds in the dish. today is his third day in my apt..
Take your time. He/she may not want to eat in front of you, and will need time to settle.

Have you seen seed husks on the floor of the cage? This indicates she/he has been eating when you are not around.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Remember, this can take a while. With P'lets, as with any bird, there is no "insta fix", nor any "easy" solution. Keep at it, and you will all do well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2 Thumbs up, Eikoden

Eikoden, thank you for posting those video's. I couldn't get Sweet Pea to get on my hand but I could get her to eat out of my hand, by using this method for 2 days she now steps up and when I try to put her back on her parch she climbs up my arm. She more than happy to stay on me now. I was so excited about it.:D Now it's time to work with Kiwi. :eek:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you, Ladyred!

Eikoden, thank you for posting those video's. I couldn't get Sweet Pea to get on my hand but I could get her to eat out of my hand, by using this method for 2 days she now steps up and when I try to put her back on her parch she climbs up my arm. She more than happy to stay on me now. I was so excited about it.:D Now it's time to work with Kiwi. :eek:
Congratulations! It's always great to hear the method is working for someone other than me.

I'm glad your baby believes good things come from your arm, and can now associate you with a wonderful, food-filled time. Keep working!

Good luck with Kiwi! I'll bet he/she has been watching jealously, wondering why she/he didn't get a chance at the millet-arm. Just you wait, more good things are to come! :)

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I want to add my experience with the new Budgie, Sax. Within two weeks of coming home, straight out of a large aviary and never handled, he is eating out of my hand, flying to my shoulder, arm, hand, leg (when sitting). All with millet reinforcement, never forcing, and going at his speed. For about a week, progress seemed at a sort of standstill - he would eat from my hand, and I could walk with him, but still had to encourage the first step onto my hand and wait until he was ready. All of a sudden, he decided I'm his friend! He is flighted also, and I want to keep him flighted so tried the taming without clipping. No problem!

1 - 20 of 116 Posts