Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost forgot to mention - how could I do that :eek: . But success at LAST.

Mrs. Penny Peepers took Flight - real flight for the first time last night. She took off as Mr. Peepers flew. She flew a good 30 feet and in an UPWARD flight and LANDED on the blinds. I was ECSTATIC - as you all know I've been waiting for her wings to grow in since I got her. Up until then her previous flights were to the floor and PLOP.

She had already grown in her flight feathers on her left wing - but had lost two of her right wing feathers as they started to grow in - Now she has two new ones on her right wing that I hadn't noticed until last night after she flew.

She then flew from their playgym to the back of a chair and landed and perched. Big step :D :D :D

·
Registered
514 Posts
What fun! It's hard to watch "flight failures". It took Bitsy a few accidents before he learned to fly -- he is so cute!!! Way to go, PP!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the well wishes everyone :)

Kathy - I actually put them together full time a while back. She became an excellent "hopper" :D and was getting around his cage with zero problems - even better than he at times.

Yes, musicjan the "flight failures" are hard to watch. The only place she fly's to without incident it to the top of the cage. She fly's to the ceiling and fly's along it until she slides down a wall - I will have to hang a sheet or something when she is out - having the blinds drawn down helps as she mostly lands grabbing onto those.

I'm guessing she never fledged - as she is completely new to this. My male was approximately 4 months old when I got him and when his flight feathers grew in he had no problems flying - it was as if he already knew - so I'm guessing he fledged.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I'm glad she is flying now! I love letting Gelato fly around the room, he is just so nimble! He did have one incident though, he wasn't paying attention and landed to low and fell and couldn't right himself. He fell behind my hermit crab tank and I guess he was shocked that he fell because he just stayed there. I got paniced because I thought he was dead and I ripped everything out of the way to get him. He's fine though, but he is more careful of the curtain.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Kathy how is the cutest man-let doing? Did he get over the house guests?
Sorry Memmey, I've been very very busy with final exams, I never saw this!

Yes, he's back to his old self now. Based on what I've seen and know of him, it wasn't so much that my sisters were around - it was that their guy friend who handled him improperly. Nemo is very good about people coming and going and my sister has been around before with none of this aggression.

Thanks for asking!

P.S. "Man-let" LOL.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Kathy - I actually put them together full time a while back. She became an excellent "hopper" :D and was getting around his cage with zero problems - even better than he at times.
Can you tell I haven't been on as much lately!? After tomorrow's exam (last one for this term...then it starts again in Sept! :rolleyes:), hopefully I'll be able to catch up on everything.

But I'm happy to hear that they're getting along so fabulously :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Pado, how did she 'look'?! That is: did she make a very proud impression or get all excited of was kind of blasé... or what? And mr. Peeper? Thought everything quite normal?
He will get it comin' I agree with Memmey... poor little soldier ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts