Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed that Oliver didn’t seem to be his normal, spunky self. He wasn’t playing with his toys or practicing his talking like he usually does, and he seemed to be napping a lot during the day. I called the avian vet and they said to bring him in, and it turns out he has an infection. Luckily he has been eating and drinking normally, and his weight is good, so he was able to come home with antibiotics and I’ll be monitoring him closely.
First, I just want to say thanks for all of the information about parrotlet care on this site. I did a ton of research before getting Oliver, and a lot of my info came from this forum. Because of that, I knew exactly what to look out for and when a call to the avian vet was warranted. Thanks, everyone, for the helpful info!
I was also wondering if anyone has had a sick bird that was prescribed Baytril and if there were any side effects? I’m mainly wondering about drowsiness. Oliver had is first dose at the vet clinic this afternoon and has been sleeping ever since we returned home. I was googling it, but couldn’t find much info about use in birds. I’m a little anxious now that he’s sick and would like to hear of anyone else’s experience. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
4,469 Posts
Reactions: ElphieT

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
That is great that you had been paying close attention to Oliver and noticed that he was not acting like he usually would. I have used enrofloxacin (baytril) when prescribed by an avian vet in the past when one of my birds had an infection and it did not cause them to become sleepy. Your bird may potentially be sleepy because he is still recovering.

One note on probiotics is that they are good to give after a round of antibiotics and should not be given at the same time as the antibiotic.

·
Super Moderator
6,553 Posts
I've had a few different occasions I had to give my birds antibiotic, I think I'm inclined to agree he's probably still tired and not feeling well it'll take a little while for him to start to feel better. I know once Jasper received a shot at the vet and they said that he would be a bit sleepy not because of the antibiotic but just from receiving an actual shot. Also all of the excitement going to the vet could make him a little tired also.

Reactions: ElphieT

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have never had to give my bird any antibiotics up to this point, so I am not one to give advice on it, but I understand why you would be feeling anxious, I would be too. They are our babies! I really hope Oliver gets feeling better soon! Let us know how he is doing!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is great that you had been paying close attention to Oliver and noticed that he was not acting like he usually would. I have used enrofloxacin (baytril) when prescribed by an avian vet in the past when one of my birds had an infection and it did not cause them to become sleepy. Your bird may potentially be sleepy because he is still recovering.

One note on probiotics is that they are good to give after a round of antibiotics and should not be given at the same time as the antibiotic.
Thank you for the info! It does make sense that he is probably sleepy from the infection. I will talk to his vet about a probiotic when he’s done with his antibiotic course.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have never had to give my bird any antibiotics up to this point, so I am not one to give advice on it, but I understand why you would be feeling anxious, I would be too. They are our babies! I really hope Oliver gets feeling better soon! Let us know how he is doing!
Thank you! I didn’t realize how attached I could get to a tiny bird in such a short amount of time. I feel so bad for him being sick, but I’m glad he’s getting treatment! Hopefully he’ll be on the mend soon. I’ll keep you all posted! :)

·
Registered
776 Posts
Thank you! I didn’t realize how attached I could get to a tiny bird in such a short amount of time. I feel so bad for him being sick, but I’m glad he’s getting treatment! Hopefully he’ll be on the mend soon. I’ll keep you all posted! :)
Oh, I know! They steal our hearts really fast! Cleopatra was my first bird and it was a major surprise to me too. I never knew you could bond with a bird so much. Please do not feel bad, you did nothing wrong. Sometimes things like this just happen. It can happen to any of our birds. You are a great mom - you got Oliver to the vet so he could get the treatment he needs. Oliver is lucky to have a mom that loves him so much! :)

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Hello~~ I had to use Baytril a couple of times in the 10 years I had my Bogie. The last time he was prescribed it, his poo do's did became a little runny. I asked the vet about it and he said Bogie's poo do's were runny from the infection he had, not the meds. Bogie stayed sleepy and tired for a week, so I took him back to the vets. The vet gave him a B12 complex shot and another vitamin shot ( I think a vit. D shot). By the end of the day, Bogie perked up and started pestering me again! He felt better.

I am glad you are in tune with your Oliver! They hide their illnesses well. Make sure you give every dose of the Baytril as prescribed! It is very important that you do! Even if he feels a lot better, give him what is prescribed.

Blow Oliver a kiss-kiss from me and my wife....they are so precious!

David and Vicki

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Happy to share that Oliver finished his antibiotic course and is feeling better now. Today was the first day in over a week that he actually ate normally and played with his toys. I’m so relieved!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Little Oliver is looking good! I am so glad to hear he is back to his old self again. The antibiotics did their job! Hurrah! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts