Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I brought Oliver home back in February, I had his wings clipped for easier bonding/training. He’s just gone through his first molt and is able to fly better now, so we’ve been working on having him fly and land on my finger, which he is doing very well. The problem is I think he gets very excited about his abilities and sometimes just takes off without a real plan for where he is going to land, and usually ends up crashing into something. Thankfully, he hasn’t hurt himself yet, but it makes me nervous that he’s going to get injured, or worse. I’m not really sure what to do. I was intending to keep him fully flighted, but don’t want to if it’s going to be a safety issue. Is this a phase that young ones go through or does it sound like I may have a real problem? Does anyone have any recommendations to share? I really want to do what’s best for Oliver!

·
Registered
402 Posts
When I brought Oliver home back in February, I had his wings clipped for easier bonding/training. He’s just gone through his first molt and is able to fly better now, so we’ve been working on having him fly and land on my finger, which he is doing very well. The problem is I think he gets very excited about his abilities and sometimes just takes off without a real plan for where he is going to land, and usually ends up crashing into something. Thankfully, he hasn’t hurt himself yet, but it makes me nervous that he’s going to get injured, or worse. I’m not really sure what to do. I was intending to keep him fully flighted, but don’t want to if it’s going to be a safety issue. Is this a phase that young ones go through or does it sound like I may have a real problem? Does anyone have any recommendations to share? I really want to do what’s best for Oliver!
Monty was also a little clumsy when flying at first as he grew his wings out. Oliver will improve :) Just try to make sure he has somewhere to land and try to cover up mirrors and windows when they are in the clumsy stage and it will get better! Parrotlets are generally strong fliers.

·
Super Moderator
4,629 Posts
Rio is/was clipped when we got him from breeder. He is a nut case with flying at the moment but getting better. Yes, there is a risk with being fully flighted but it is so much better for their physical and mental health that I think it is worth the risk.

Reactions: ElphieT
1 - 3 of 3 Posts