Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day i evicted my bird from his cage. He was PISSED. I shan't be doing that again, but wanted to let him know he has the option to leave (i do leave the cage open all day so I guess that's good enough). He ended up crawling to the top of his cage and yelling. Thankfully i haven't lost any of the trust i built with him so far. I think i made a mistake by forcing him out.

He still doesn't fully trust my hands as i can't get him to put his foot on my finger, although he will sometimes "test" my finger with his tongue and beak. Doing stick training every day, but he won't move too far yet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
With my Luna, I mimicked doing bird things with my hands, like pushing her seeds toward her, dipping my fingers in her water and playing with her toys. She eventually caved to her curiosity. I still spend at least half an hour a day just "being a bird" in her cage. Another thought- have you tried toys or treats that you can leave on the top of the cage?
Gotta admit, I laughed at the idea of a tiny furious ball of feathers and beak, giving you what-for!

·
Administrator
5,088 Posts
The world can be very scary place for a parrotlet. The world is full of things that want to eat them or casually hurt them and they know it in their instincts. It is easy for them to get comfortable with the inside of their cage and not want out. My first pair of parrotlets were cage bound. They did not leave the cage and did not want to. I made it easier by dressing the outside of the cage a bit like the inside. Perches, especially those comfy rope perches. Coop cups with treats on the outside. Maybe a few toys. Things that make the difference between inside and out not so stark not so abrupt, left the door open when I was around and eventually they explored outside. Baby steps is the way to go with a parrotlet.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
We have all made mistakes with our birds – None of us have all of this down perfectly. By the way, that will not be the last time you are yelled at by your little ball of feathers! They are very good at letting us know when we have messed up! Cleopatra yelled at me quite a lot the first year. Enough times that she learned what “I’m sorry!” meant! I said it to her so many times. :rolleyes:

They recommend that you get your bird used to your hands inside their cage before you let them out. It makes a lot of sense if you think about it. You mentioned before that you got Chirpy to eat some millet from your hand. Excellent. Continue Millet Training him in his cage (hold a long sprig of millet at one end and offer him the other end). Over time, gradually move your hand a little closer and he should eventually get comfortable enough to step up on your fingers. Just five minutes or so, 2-3 times a day. A lot of people have had success getting their birds used to their hands this way. With these little guys, trust needs to be earned. And that can take time. That is why we are always saying you need to have patience. First get him used to your hands, then take him out of his cage. Ozzie has some great ideas to encourage him to come out of his cage, but first, get him used to your hands. You do not want to be chasing him around the room to get him back in his cage again. That will not make him trust you much.

Every bird is different, so it could take anywhere from few days to a few of weeks to train him. Just work at his pace. Earn his trust. And talk softly to him! Make slow movements and give lots of praises! You guys are just starting your journey together, it will all come with time. And patience! ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts