Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone..

Recently, one of my friends gifted me an essential oil diffuser and ionizer. I have a regular humidifier in my house but I have never owned an essential oil diffuser or ionizer before( I have no clue what an ionizer does, from what I understood is that it helps in purification of air)

Here is the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Oil-Aromatherapy-Diffuser-InstaNatural/dp/B00OOBEQWY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Is it safe to use around my parrotlet? Does anyone use similar products?

If using essential oil is dangerous for parrotlets, can I just use it without essential oils? It would be of great help if some one could answer to my questions as I am clueless.

On a side note, I have found this article that says it is okay to use few types of essential oils near parrots. But I want to make sure with you guys before I proceed further. http://www.liveoakacupuncture.com/parrots-essential-oils

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I personally don't use any of these things , because parrots all have such fragile respiratory systems and I just wont take chances . If I don't know , why would I want to use it ? Two minutes on google came up with this ; http://www.naturalnews.com/022909_pet_health_essential_oils.html

This excerpt from the article would convince me !

Birds are well known for being sensitive to scents and particles in the air, and essential oils are no different. Gillian Willis, a toxicologist in Vancouver, has seen many cases of avian poisoning, including a well-meaning cockatiel owner who, upon seeing an abrasion on her bird's foot, applied a drop of Tea Tree oil. The bird became depressed and even with veterinary intervention, died within 24 hours of respiratory failure. Even diffusing oils around a bird can produce dire consequences .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I personally don't use any of these things , because parrots all have such fragile respiratory systems and I just wont take chances . If I don't know , why would I want to use it ? Two minutes on google came up with this ; http://www.naturalnews.com/022909_pet_health_essential_oils.html

This excerpt from the article would convince me !

Birds are well known for being sensitive to scents and particles in the air, and essential oils are no different. Gillian Willis, a toxicologist in Vancouver, has seen many cases of avian poisoning, including a well-meaning cockatiel owner who, upon seeing an abrasion on her bird's foot, applied a drop of Tea Tree oil. The bird became depressed and even with veterinary intervention, died within 24 hours of respiratory failure. Even diffusing oils around a bird can produce dire consequences .
This is scary:eek: I will just keep away from the essential oils. However, I do have another question. Will it be okay if I use it just as a humidifier? I will just add water and no essential oils. please let me know if you know anything regarding this.

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
An ionizer "purifies" the air by producing OZONE, which is NOT okay for birds to breathe! These companies produce dangerous things because people believe what they read on the package - that the air will be purified. Animals, people included, are not meant to breathe ozone. Those with lung diseases like asthma can feel the bad air, while the average human just thinks that it smells good so it must be good for us.
Normal humidifiers are GREAT! An excellent addition for feather health! Just make sure to keep it clean.
I'd subtly regift the other thing to someone without parrots or any lung diseases. Maybe in small enough qualities it could be nice for a healthy adult human.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I use essential oils. However, I diffuse in a different part of the house or in the car. If I use topically is when I won't be around the birds or I use on places that they can't get (like my toes under socks)

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
No scented fragrances with candles or diffusers----I use scented body/hand lotion, not a problem so far.
Be very careful cleaning your stove!! I have eliminated that completely unless I can have windows open and my birds are downstaires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts