Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parrotlet always wigglenecks after drinking. Up to this point I did not really think anything of it. Just now she took a sip of water and some of the water came out through her nose! She wiggle necked a lot after this as well. Has anyone ever experienced something like this? My other parrotlet never wiggle necks after drinking. Is it likely to be a habit or might there be an underlying issue?

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts
I haven’t experienced this either. How odd. Only after drinking? Water out of the nares is nothing I have ever seen before. Literally wiggle necks every time she drinks?

·
Super Moderator
5,183 Posts
Water out of the nares sounds really weird, and would be something I asked the vet about. It could be crop adjusting not wiggle necking, but I don't think anything should be coming out of the nares ever.

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts
If you are able to get a video of this wigglenecking after drinking and post it here, we could help you to determine if it really is a wiggleneck. I take what Dana said - it might be a crop adjustment or something else altogether. If she wigglenecked more after the water came out of her nares, she was clearly trying to shake it out which makes me think it is something other than a wiggleneck as we know it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've though about it some more, I think she got some water on her little nose and breathed out air through the nostrils! That would have made it seem like actual water came out while it was just an air bubble. Silly me. She doesn't have any nasal discharge and seems very happy😊.

As for the wiggle necking, does crop adjustment look similar? I think that might be it. Is it normal for parrotlets to do that often after drinking?

Thank you all for your responses!

·
Administrator
5,316 Posts
I've though about it some more, I think she got some water on her little nose and breathed out air through the nostrils! That would have made it seem like actual water came out while it was just an air bubble. Silly me. She doesn't have any nasal discharge and seems very happy😊.

As for the wiggle necking, does crop adjustment look similar? I think that might be it. Is it normal for parrotlets to do that often after drinking?

Thank you all for your responses!
I can see that. when rio drinks or eats he usually comes up slinging stuff.

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts
Crop adjusting looks more like a pronounced yawn where they stretch their neck up and open their beak. Wigglenecking really is wiggling the neck. They do look different but can be confused if you haven’t seen both. I am really glad you came up with a possible explanation for the fluid coming from the nares (bird speak for nostrils). It is still a little odd to crop adjust for fluid every time. Is it every time?

·
Registered
180 Posts
You have no idea how helpful I found this post. I have noticed Pip doing the yawn/neck stretch thing a few times and got a little concerned that he might be having a problem breathing. He’s terrific and very healthy otherwise. Glad you identified it for me.

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts
You have no idea how helpful I found this post. I have noticed Pip doing the yawn/neck stretch thing a few times and got a little concerned that he might be having a problem breathing. He’s terrific and very healthy otherwise. Glad you identified it for me.
Yes, crop adjusting! I had the same concern about Kiwi until I learned what it was. She did it at the vet once and she told me what it was. If you stroke them with your finger over the ear openings on the side if their head, they will do it. I think it is like what we do when we want to pop our ears.

·
Super Moderator
5,183 Posts
I used to do the ear-rubs with my cockatiel, and she always was forced to adjust her crop afterwards. Tumi is harder to force, I think mostly because he prefers other parts of his head being petted than his ears.

·
Administrator
5,316 Posts
I always thought the ear rub caused a yawn not a crop adjustment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha I always thought it was yawning as well when you rub their ears. Good to know it is crop adjustment! Mila actually does the wiggle after drinking. BUT I have figured out she does not do it when drinking water in her cage. I didn't see her drinking in her cage often since I always let her out when I'm home. When outside, I often offer her water after she has finished eating. Since she did the wiggle neck every time exactly after drinking it made me worried there was a medical problem. But maybe she's just happy?

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts
Haha I always thought it was yawning as well when you rub their ears. Good to know it is crop adjustment! Mila actually does the wiggle after drinking. BUT I have figured out she does not do it when drinking water in her cage. I didn't see her drinking in her cage often since I always let her out when I'm home. When outside, I often offer her water after she has finished eating. Since she did the wiggle neck every time exactly after drinking it made me worried there was a medical problem. But maybe she's just happy?
Interesting! How do you offer her the water? Now I think of it, Kiwi would sometimes wiggleneck the kitchen faucet when I let her drink from it (a slow stream of cold water directly from the tap is her fave). She may be courting the container that is kindly letting her sip it. Haha! They’re such funny little birds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts