Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So pretty much overnight my sweet cuddly friendly parrotlet turned into a monster! He is very serious about guarding the top of his cage today (which he has never done before) and LATCHING on to everybody, harder than he has ever bitten before. He even attacks his toys and rattles his dishes and throws his food and screams a LOT. Earlier today I even saw him rubbing himself against his toys. I have not changed his food, or his daylight/night hours, and he gets plenty of hours outside his cage and has plenty of toys. Nothing else has changed! He is still very active. Is this hormones?? How long will this last! His personality has just completely did a 180 overnight!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Yep, definitely hormones! Spring is in the air! He may also be molting on top if it all, which makes them grumpy too.

Try decreasing his daylight hours to less than 12, make sure his sleep is dark and uninterrupted, and stop feeding warm food for awhile. If he gets obsessive about masturbating or regurgitating to one toy, you can remove it until he settles down. Definitely remove his hidey hut or similar if he has one. Now would also be a good time to train him to step up onto a stick so nobody gets bitten when he has to be removed from his cage.

·
Registered
280 Posts
birds can masturbate??
I had no idea....lol
Mine are still babies, so we have a while before runnign into that.
But only a little while until their first molting =/.

But yeah that deffinetly sounds like hormones. Idk how long it'll last...suppose I should research more of that.
Good luck though!! :)
Enborgles advice sounds great ;p

·
Registered
619 Posts
enborgles right.
im dreding Pickle going through this, fingers crossed hes still too much of a baby to be affected just yet, hes not one till august
im not sure how long it will last, and i cant seem to find out either

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
OH NO! I have that to look forward to? Had I known I would have gotten a girl. Then we'd have bchee hormone fids laying eggs and depleting their calcium. Some days ya can't win.^^

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Today he seems to be getting back to normal. Very friendly and attached to me (maybe a little too much). Still rubbing himself on the toys and a little louder than usual but the cage aggression and biting have stopped. Thankfully.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts