Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my parrotlet for about three weeks and everything was fine until last night. I get home and he's a puffed-up, even when he stepped onto my finger. He closes his eyes slowly and his poop is watery.
I disinfected the cage, made sure to rinse everything with water afterwards, and gave him some millet spray. Is there anything I should do before I go see a vet? Does anyone recognize this as a sign of any particular sickness?

Thank you

·
Registered
835 Posts
If you are stuck at home for now (no after hours vet) you can share with us your keeping methods - diet, etc. anything that can affect Tori. Perhaps something will jump out at one of the members as a clue.

Also, what colors are you seeing in the watery droppings?

What has he eaten in the last 12-24 hours?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My boyfriend decided to buy a parakeet, which I have adopted as my own because he's the kind of person that gets bored with things easily. Not to say Inko (our keet) is a "thing" of course, but you get what I mean.
Inko and Tori share the same cage and get along splendidly. She is in perfect health--as far as I can tell--and just as loud as every.
Do you think perhaps it has to do with Inko passing something on to Tori?

·
Registered
835 Posts
It is possible. Did they come from the same shop? When did you introduce Inko?

Parakeets (budgies) or any bird for that matter can carry illness, disease, parasites, etc. and not show symptoms but then spread it to other birds.

How old is Tori?

How old is Inko?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are stuck at home for now (no after hours vet) you can share with us your keeping methods - diet, etc. anything that can affect Tori. Perhaps something will jump out at one of the members as a clue.

Also, what colors are you seeing in the watery droppings?

What has he eaten in the last 12-24 hours?
The bredder told me to feed Tori keet seed, and I work at a pet store so I got him the kind made with real egg for calcium. He also has cuttle bone and a mineral block in his cage as well. I treat them to millet spray once in a while and some organic wheat grass that I buy from my store, topped off with a bit of DriGreens (dried veggies) sprinkled on top of their food.
The droppings are greenisn-yellow in color.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is possible. Did they come from the same shop? When did you introduce Inko?

Parakeets (budgies) or any bird for that matter can carry illness, disease, parasites, etc. and not show symptoms but then spread it to other birds.

How old is Tori?

How old is Inko?
Tori and Inko were both bought on the same day, just a few hours apart and have been sharing a cage ever since.
To my knowledge, Tori is about 3-4 months old and Inko can't be much older because the color of her ceres is still a pale white color, which I believe indicated her immaturity.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Well, the droppings sound appropriate for the diet. Although I don't agree the diet is appropriate.

The two diets I recommend are:

1 - pellet based, 85% and the other 15% can be seed, produce, etc

2 - natural diet - produce (lots of veggies) soaked grains & beans, some seeds, nuts, etc.

We feed a natural diet. A diet heavily compromised of seed is not balanced or healthy. Some breeders advise methods from 10+ years ago not realizing that parrot research and keeping methods have changed. Others do it b/c it is easier for them.

Also, Dr. Wolf from the avian section of the University of Hanover and a nutrition expert for parrots strongly advises against feeding any animal proteins to parrots. They increase the uric acid and will lead to gout. They do not need it nutritionally and it can harm them.

We acheive necessary protein through beans.

Also, a parakeet seed will lack some of the important seeds that a parrotlet would benefit from.

Good job on the wheat grass though :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, a co-worker of mine also suggested pellet food, so I bought Kaytee's Exazt Rainbow formula. It says on the bag it is suitable for Parakeets and Lovebirds. Do you think, perhaps, something like this would be good for Tori? Should I wet it a bit? It seems kind of hard.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did Tori and Inko come from the same place?

Does the shop you work in have birds?
I bought Tori from a bird store. He had been weened fairly recently because he was still in a tube with his brothers and sisters and not in the main cage with his cousins.
I bought Inko from my store. I work for Pet Supermarket and we carry Lovebirds, Tiels and Keets.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Well, a co-worker of mine also suggested pellet food, so I bought Kaytee's Exazt Rainbow formula. It says on the bag it is suitable for Parakeets and Lovebirds. Do you think, perhaps, something like this would be good for Tori? Should I wet it a bit? It seems kind of hard.
I prefer and advise pellets that are organic. If not organic, then with as little excess food coloring and artificial preservatives as possible.

First Choice - Harrison's Bird Diets
Second Choice - Totally Organics
Third Choice - Roudybush

In my opinion, Kaytee Exact Rainbow has way too many corn ingredients (it's cheap) and I don't like that it has ethoxyquin. I never feed anything with ethoxyquin. It is a rubber preservative and not good for the body. It also has artificial colors, in my opinion a no no.

What is interesting to me with pellets is that the manufacturers act like it's a perfect diet. Good example here, this bag you have is recommended for parakeets and lovebirds. Parakeets are from Australia and Lovebirds are of African origin. How could it meet both species needs? This is why I choose a natural diet, amongst other reasons.

·
Registered
835 Posts
It is also possible that you may bring home an illness or disease from your store. The only way to prevent this is by only getting birds that have been avian vet checked and not allowing birds in the store unless they have been vet checked. I have never known a pet shop to do this.

You can take precautionary measures by washing with Oxyfresh cleansing gele and changing clothes before handling your birds after work.

Oxyfresh Cleansing Gele

All-purpose cleanser and disinfectant. Inactivates the polyoma virus and many other microbials. Very economical!

Directions

Dilute 4 tablespoons per gallon of water or

1 tablespoon per 32oz of water in a spray bottle. You may let soak or remain on surfaces to be cleansed for at least five minutes.

12 oz. bottle prepares 24 32-ounce bottles of solution or 6 gallons of solution!

We also recommend only diluting/mixing as much as you will use up in 5 days or less as well as storing it in a dark place (such as a cupboard) after it is diluted

Non-toxic. Perfect for cleaning cages, food bowls, water bottles, syringes and other utensils, brooders, counter tops, etc.. Also ideal for cleaning hands, dog dishes, stain removal on clothing, floors, walls, even as a shower gel and shampoo for humans! Keep some in a dispenser at each sink.

How Do Oxyfresh™ Products Work?

These products contain the active ingredient Oxygene®, Oxyfresh’s registered name for it’s brand of stabilized chlorine dioxide. This compound is a powerful killing agent, which is effective in killing bacteria, fungi, viruses, and protozoa when used in accordance with label instructions. These products are also proven effective in eliminating odors caused by many sources.

STABILIZED CHLORINE DIOXIDE Brand Names: Oxyfresh Dent-A-Gene, Oxyfresh Cleansing Gele Stabilized chlorine dioxide is a chlorine derivative which is a powerful oxidizing agent. It can destroy many pathogens, including bacteria, viruses, fungi and protozoa. Chlorine dioxide deactivates avian polyomavirus (a hydrophilic virus). Many studies have suggested that stabilized chlorine dioxide is a superior disinfecting agent to bleach. It is used in Europe to treat drinking water because it does not form carcinogenic by-products like bleach does. There are very few products that are both effective and can be safely used around birds, and in my opinion, stabilized chlorine dioxide is the best choice available for aviculturists today. At the present, the only stabilized chlorine dioxide products available are made by Oxyfresh.Oxyfresh Cleansing Gele' is a cleaner containing stabilized chlorine dioxide. It is excellent for routine cleaning of cages and aviaries as it will clean and provide some disinfectant protection. Plus, it is not harmful. It is also an excellent washing/soaking solution for syringes, food dishes, feeders and water containers. For hard surfaces, the solution is sprayed on and then wiped off after a 5 minute exposure.
The best price you'll find on it is here: http://www.thecozyparrot.com/clandba.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am going to look for the pellet brands you have suggested from my local bird store, but in the mean time, what sort of natural diet should I put him on? Any particular kind of fruits and veggies I should be giving him? I know not to feed him avocado, but are there any I can get at the local supermarket that would be particularly effective in fighting whatever poor Tori has?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'll let Andrea answer you food questions, but I just wanted to jump in here and make sure you knew about household toxins such as heated teflon, air fresheners, perfume, and so on. They can make a bird sick...

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
There are so many good things to feed them. I bake muffins with goodies in them too. Chipper adores her breads with apples, nuts, oatmeal, banana's, veggies, etc. A wide variety is good for us all.

I hope your birdie gets well very soon!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unfortunately, I was unable to take Tori to the vet last night, and when I got home from the grocery store last night I found Tori at the bottom of the cage, dead.
It happened very quickly. Literally from one day to the next. He looked happy and active Friday morning, and last night he died.
I'm guessing it had something to do with a) his diet and b) the fact that I didn't cover his cage at night when the sair was on and he got sick from the draft.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Oh, my gosh. I am so very sorry. That is heartbreaking. They can go downhill so very quickly. It is awful.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You really ought to consider having Inko vet checked, diet should not lead to death in a bird so young and unless the temp dropped below 60 degrees F I doubt the draft did it. You may be able to prevent the same thing from happening again, with Inko. I know this is tough, but just always remember to act quick if they are showing any symptoms. Hang in there, you did what you could in the mean time :( Just keep learning as much as you can, for yourself, for Inko and even to help customers at your store that have or want birds.

regrets,
Andrea

1 - 20 of 27 Posts