Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parrolet was having breathing problems I noticed so made a avian appointment immediately. He told me he has a bad respiratory infection that has been going on for some time now, but he just started to show it. He gave me baytril to give him morning and nights, with some vitamins to add into his water and a steriod to add to a gallon of drinking water. Everyone told me not to give him the steroids cause they're not good for them so i stopped. I continued with the baytril all though he got sick from it once after giving it to him on a empty stomach ( I know it was dumb, I didn't know) I went back for the check up after a week and he said he's not recovering with the baytril so gave me doxycycline to give him morning and night and a little more steriods to add into his water which I haven't given to him. He seems to be getting worse and every single time we give him his medication he gasps for air and he can't breath for like a hour. Am I aspirating him?! I have looked up videos and have been seeing how yo proplery give it to him. He fights me and me and my fiance try as best as we can to get it in his mouth. But he keeps not being able to breath and hisi breathing is getting worse. I can't stop breaking down. I don't want to lose my bird. He also recently started losing so kuch feathers I don't know if it's cause it's molting season or from being sick? I just don't know what to do anymore. His vet is 3 hours one way its the closest bird vet I could find they have good reviews so I went for this one. It's not easy to get back and forth but I'm trying to do everything i can.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there! Any updates on your parrotlet? How are they?
Hi! I'm sorry I haven't responded to the previous answer, thank you so much. I started giving him the steroids in the water and since he couldn't stop fighting the medication I called the vet and asked if I can add it to his food. I have been adding it to his quinoa. His chirps seem to be sounding better. I'm hoping for the best! His next check up is in a week.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So sorry you are going through this, I have had a bird be very sick for a long time and it is just so heartbreaking feeling like you don't know how to help them. I'm glad things are looking up! Keep doing what you're doing you're doing a good job
Thank you 😊

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh that sounds promising! We all care about you and your parrotlet so keep us updated! Hoping the doxy is working to clear the infection. I took doxy once and I had some super rare side effects from it, I didn't know it could be given to birds, but it makes sense.
Thank you!! His check up is next thrusday. I'll keep everyone updated. Thank you everyone for the kind words. ❤ 💙

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was told by my avian vet, Dr. Joel Murphy, look him up He’s in Palm Harbor Florida,steroids are not safe for birds, they attack the liver or the kidneys I can’t remember. What exactly are you giving him?You really shouldn’t put anything in the water, should always try to mix vitamins or medicine with a little bit of a treat but not their water.
The steriod is dexamethasone.
He told me to mix the syringe in 1 gallon of water. He also is having me mix vitamins in his water.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi. The steroids are fine in the dilution you have. I have raised birds for over 55 years and have used steroids with absolutely no problems, as long as it is used in the dilution you are using . Respiratory infections kill more birds than anything else.
I know one thing for sure, listen to your vet! He sees the bird and knows your bird better than we do. There are some vets out there who you have to watch out for. It is important that you tell us all you can about what the vet says. We have a lot of experience in this forum. We have been ranked Number One for many, many years!

Keep your bird as warm as you can right now. This will help . Your bird will have different poo do's from time to time. The meds will do this. Put your ear close to your bird's face and listen for a clicking sound when he breathes. Sometimes you can hear the click right after he flies. That clicking sound is a fluid ball located way back in his throat. If the sound is profound, you need to call the vet. If you can, open his beak and look way back in his throat and you will see the little round ball.

Dave
Thank you! Sadly he has been almost 2 weeks on the doxycycline and he still has the click and breathing problems. He fights his meds and so I have to give them to him on his food, so he doesn't get that much of the dosage, but every time i give him the medication he fights and when he gets it in he starts throwing up and trying to get it out, I don't know if he's aspirating or if him fighting it is causing it. I don't know what to do anymore. His next check up is Thursday. I feel there was some improvement and now we're back to the flicking and breathi

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes a nebulizer might be a good option.

Recovery is not as likely to be always up and up, you may have some worse days but don't give up hope!

RE: liver damage - there is some info out there that suggests limiting corticosteroids as first line therapy because of liver issues, so there's some controversy about it. Nothing I could find talked about the dose or the amount of time the bird would be on the drug. However I am often inclined to think that it is likely that this is a small dose and diluted, and also is intended for short term, so your vet likely knows what he is doing.
How do I get a nebulizer for him? They have that for birds? And he can get his meds in this way? or do you just mean for his breathing? Sorry to sound so dumb I'm just lost on how to get him better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
You are in a tight spot, for sure. I do knw he needs to change to Baytril. This is widely used to fight respiratory illnesses. I had used it for many, many years on my budgies and parrotlets. I had great success. With antibiotics, I know you have to find a way to get the required dosage in the patient. All it takes is a touch of the tongue to deliver the dosage. I assume you can't get to a vet very easily, but maybe you can find another one. Sometimes this helps.

Dave
I still have the baytril, cause he switched him to the doxycycline. Should I give him the baytril? He only had him on it for a week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts