Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parrolet was having breathing problems I noticed so made a avian appointment immediately. He told me he has a bad respiratory infection that has been going on for some time now, but he just started to show it. He gave me baytril to give him morning and nights, with some vitamins to add into his water and a steriod to add to a gallon of drinking water. Everyone told me not to give him the steroids cause they're not good for them so i stopped. I continued with the baytril all though he got sick from it once after giving it to him on a empty stomach ( I know it was dumb, I didn't know) I went back for the check up after a week and he said he's not recovering with the baytril so gave me doxycycline to give him morning and night and a little more steriods to add into his water which I haven't given to him. He seems to be getting worse and every single time we give him his medication he gasps for air and he can't breath for like a hour. Am I aspirating him?! I have looked up videos and have been seeing how yo proplery give it to him. He fights me and me and my fiance try as best as we can to get it in his mouth. But he keeps not being able to breath and hisi breathing is getting worse. I can't stop breaking down. I don't want to lose my bird. He also recently started losing so kuch feathers I don't know if it's cause it's molting season or from being sick? I just don't know what to do anymore. His vet is 3 hours one way its the closest bird vet I could find they have good reviews so I went for this one. It's not easy to get back and forth but I'm trying to do everything i can.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Everyone told me not to give him the steroids cause they're not good for them so i stopped
Who has told you not to use the steroids? I would use them if the vet has recommended them. Steroids are used in respiratory cases like asthma (it controls inflammation and swelling), so I think it might help with the breathing. The vet would be intending for them to be used in conjunction with the antibiotic.

I'm so sorry you and your pet are going through this. I don't have much advice but sending you love.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there! Any updates on your parrotlet? How are they?
Hi! I'm sorry I haven't responded to the previous answer, thank you so much. I started giving him the steroids in the water and since he couldn't stop fighting the medication I called the vet and asked if I can add it to his food. I have been adding it to his quinoa. His chirps seem to be sounding better. I'm hoping for the best! His next check up is in a week.

·
Super Moderator
6,632 Posts
So sorry you are going through this, I have had a bird be very sick for a long time and it is just so heartbreaking feeling like you don't know how to help them. I'm glad things are looking up! Keep doing what you're doing you're doing a good job

Reactions: Milly2695

·
Registered
484 Posts
Hi! I'm sorry I haven't responded to the previous answer, thank you so much. I started giving him the steroids in the water and since he couldn't stop fighting the medication I called the vet and asked if I can add it to his food. I have been adding it to his quinoa. His chirps seem to be sounding better. I'm hoping for the best! His next check up is in a week.
Oh that sounds promising! We all care about you and your parrotlet so keep us updated! Hoping the doxy is working to clear the infection. I took doxy once and I had some super rare side effects from it, I didn't know it could be given to birds, but it makes sense.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh that sounds promising! We all care about you and your parrotlet so keep us updated! Hoping the doxy is working to clear the infection. I took doxy once and I had some super rare side effects from it, I didn't know it could be given to birds, but it makes sense.
Thank you!! His check up is next thrusday. I'll keep everyone updated. Thank you everyone for the kind words. ❤ 💙

·
Super Moderator
4,833 Posts
Thank you!! His check up is next thrusday. I'll keep everyone updated. Thank you everyone for the kind words. ❤ 💙
Did they do a gram stain? If so what was the results?

·
Registered
25 Posts
My parrolet was having breathing problems I noticed so made a avian appointment immediately. He told me he has a bad respiratory infection that has been going on for some time now, but he just started to show it. He gave me baytril to give him morning and nights, with some vitamins to add into his water and a steriod to add to a gallon of drinking water. Everyone told me not to give him the steroids cause they're not good for them so i stopped. I continued with the baytril all though he got sick from it once after giving it to him on a empty stomach ( I know it was dumb, I didn't know) I went back for the check up after a week and he said he's not recovering with the baytril so gave me doxycycline to give him morning and night and a little more steriods to add into his water which I haven't given to him. He seems to be getting worse and every single time we give him his medication he gasps for air and he can't breath for like a hour. Am I aspirating him?! I have looked up videos and have been seeing how yo proplery give it to him. He fights me and me and my fiance try as best as we can to get it in his mouth. But he keeps not being able to breath and hisi breathing is getting worse. I can't stop breaking down. I don't want to lose my bird. He also recently started losing so kuch feathers I don't know if it's cause it's molting season or from being sick? I just don't know what to do anymore. His vet is 3 hours one way its the closest bird vet I could find they have good reviews so I went for this one. It's not easy to get back and forth but I'm trying to do everything i can.
I was told by my avian vet, Dr. Joel Murphy, look him up He’s in Palm Harbor Florida,steroids are not safe for birds, they attack the liver or the kidneys I can’t remember. What exactly are you giving him?You really shouldn’t put anything in the water, should always try to mix vitamins or medicine with a little bit of a treat but not their water.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was told by my avian vet, Dr. Joel Murphy, look him up He’s in Palm Harbor Florida,steroids are not safe for birds, they attack the liver or the kidneys I can’t remember. What exactly are you giving him?You really shouldn’t put anything in the water, should always try to mix vitamins or medicine with a little bit of a treat but not their water.
The steriod is dexamethasone.
He told me to mix the syringe in 1 gallon of water. He also is having me mix vitamins in his water.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts