Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lily,
As you requested, I have started this new thread about the relationship between the dogs & Picasso.

Here is some background information: We have 3 dogs; Pooh Bear - a black lab, Charlie Brown - a standard red daschund & Buster Brown - a tibetian spaniel. We also have 2 saltwater reef tanks & a bunny named Wabbit. Picasso, my new blue parrotlet rounds out our "farm". Considering that we have just a small 2 bedroom house in the suburbs, everyone must get along.

Buster tends to sit on the arm of the loveseat and stare at Picasso in his cage for hours and will sometimes fall asleep in his sentry position. Charlie will sit up in his typical daschund fashion so he can get a better look in the cage & Pooh Bear generally just ignores the bird.

For the most part, if I have Picasso out of his cage, the dogs are outside - that is just common sense. I have on occasion allowed the dogs to come in while Picasso is out to get them to bond. Pooh, again, wants nothing to do with Picasso. Buster, in his puppy curiosity has allowed me to put Picasso on his paw while he is in my lap & has licked him a couple times, resulting in a peck on the nose from Picasso. Charlie is the only one who has tried to snap at the bird so far - then when I disciplined him, he looked at me as if to say "Mom, I AM a hound dog after all!" :p Picasso, of course is fearless and when he is in his cage, he will taunt the dogs to come closer, then give them a peck when they get too close.

For the most part, everyone gets along, with minimal jealousy; but, I will not put the dogs in a position to be able harm the bird. A little common sense goes a long way.

Does anyone else have dogs? Do they get along with the birds? Any tips or ideas will be welcome.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
That’s too cute – sounds like everyone is trying to get to know the new family member :cool:
I would watch Buster Brown closely – only because the Daschund’s instinct is very strong – my niece’s mini Daschund killed one of my Budgies some years ago. But then again you know your dog’s better than anyone.

I have a Rat Terrier – he’s rather old but still pretty spry. He learned a long time ago birds are pretty bossy and can bite pretty hard so he always leaves a big space in between him and the birds. I’ve had birds his whole life so he’s very used to them being around. But if one of the birds flies to the floor he will get up from wherever he is and leave the room. If he’s eating he will even leave his food bowl to leave the room (Poor dog) :D

I have a very large (okay, fat) house cat that is a year older than the dog that couldn’t care less about the birds. He’s like one of those cats you see sitting on the backyard fence with the blue jays dive-bombing them and they just sit there – he won’t move for anyone and doesn’t care about anything – he’s never killed anything – even a spider on the floor he’d watch it but won’t move from his spot when it moves away from him. He’s a true Garfield at heart :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
OMG Andrea that story is horrible – I’m so sorry about your chickens, how horrible. I’m sorry you lost Red and the young one.

I hope something is done about that irresponsible neighbor –

I hope Kiwi and the rest will recover –

What a nightmare.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The "farm" sounds wonderful, Artistnut. I have three cats, and was very worried about having a bird, but things are going very well. In fact, one cat has made it his responsibility to guard the bird if she gets on the floor. I have a policy with all my pets that each gets attention when one gets attention. So, if I pat one, everyone gets a pat. I think that helped alot with potential jealousy problems. Like you, I lock the bird into her cage when I'm gone. However, as I live in a small apartment, I had no choice but to let the bird be out while the cats are in the same space. I am in the space with them of course, but I am impressed about how well the gang gets along. When I come home, at least one of the cats will be asleep near the bird's cage. I suspect that the one has actually made it his job to keep her company while I am gone--- maybe all the time, as he sleeps under her cage most of the time. The bird seems to adore him. Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to compare notes to see if people's parrotlets were bonding with other house pets.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I have a little Shih Tzu named Trudy. She and Chipper are friends. Trudy usually doesn't notice Chipper unless Chipper is eating on the playgyms.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 6 dogs in the house

and so far, everyone gets along. Tiki does not come out of the bird room in the evenings "after work" as she pretty pooped. She eats her dinner and gets ready for bed. My B&G "Charlie" comes out on his tree inthe living room and the birds always go over to him to see if he is eating anything and what he may have dropped. Charlie will hang upside down and pretend to grab at the pups but will let the pups sniff his beak. I always monitor all the animals closely so there are no mishaps but all and all I think the big beak intimadates the pups.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am very careful

and always watching the animals. I know that Charlie could hurt one of the pups so I always watch. All and all, they do great.
:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Andrea,
I am so sorry to hear about your chickens. We had chickens when I was younger, they have more personality than people give them credit for. And for yours to go through that trauma, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope they took care of those dogs.

Pado,
Charlie is the daschaund.....and yes, you are right...he has a strong hunter's instinct. I watch him VERY closely, and do not allow him to get too close to the bird. He tried snapping at Picasso once, that was all it took for me to learn with him. Buster is the Spaniel...he is just more curious and is more likely to lick the bird to death.

Everyone else,
Thank you so much for your input and information, and I am looking forward to hearing more about dogs & cats relationships with the birds!:D

·
Registered
486 Posts
It sounds as if certain breeds of dogs are more of a threat to pet birds than most cats. I didn't expect that! I had a collie that understood that word "baby." When he discovered a nest of baby bunnies, I told him they were babies, and he melted-- never touched them. One time a nastly little dog tried to attack him. It was barking and nipping, but I told my dog it was a baby, and he didn't fight it back. Good thing, 'cause that little dog would have been gone in one mouthful. As for cats, my most trusted with the bird is long-haired and short-nosed, like a Persian-- very mellow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts