Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Youve all been so helpful and im bored today :D .
My baby cloud is constantly stretching his wings out behind his back. Is he trying to intimidate me? He does it to my fiancee and roomate as well. Just curious if its just a behavioral thing or if theres something wrong with his wings. Just curious and trying to keep away some boredom at work :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
My little girl just started doing the same thing. She used to hate my girlfriend, but all of a sudden she just loves her to death. She does that to Christine (my girlfriend), but up until yesterday had never done it to me. She stretches her wing and leg out. I think it's really cute, but am wondering the same thing (s) as you.

Is this normal, them trying to be cute, or is something wrong? I don't think anything is wrong with her, but you never know. I've noticed that she does it whenever we talk sweet to her.

Maybe someone on board can help answer our questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe that the wing-leg stretching routine is a
greeting. I will usually get a "stretch" when I uncover the
cage in the morning and when I get home from work in the evening.
It is sometimes followed with a rapid clicking sound and a quick "beaking"
Someday maybe someone will figure these little guys out!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I also read this is a form of greeting. My bird does it also.

It means he is comfortable with the person and is just saying Hello, I’m happy to see you :D

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I never heard the greeting thing - interesting.

Oh, yes my birds stretch. Actually Sparky makes this weird cheep sound and simultainiously half opens his wings - we call this the eagle maneuver.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool thanks guys, I was worried he was trying to look bigger to scare us or something. :) Good to know!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Its definitely a greeting!

My birdie also does the "stretch". Its definitely a greeting and you can do it back! He really appreciates when i do it. Often just for fun I lwill do it first - i lift one leg and stretch out my arm (yes i look like an idiot), and half the time, he'll do it back to me now. Its a great trick to show off to your friends too.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Mamabird – it never occurred to me to do it – now after you saying it – I’ll just HAVE to – you won’t be the only Idiot doing it. :eek: :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hmm, I always thought that it was just a simple stretch of the wings...? Like how we stretch our arms when the muscles get cramped.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I thought so too! My parrotlets always do the wing stretch after sitting with me for a while. It's like they are thinking "Ok, better do something useful.." *stretches wing*.....*flies off*

·
Registered
625 Posts
I think I heard someone say that parrotlets should be thought of as the masters of tai-chi because they do that amazing wing and foot maneuver so beautifully. So that's what I call it when mine do it. It almost always seems like it occurs in a greeting circumstance.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My p'let stretches all the time! I think people are right to say it's partly a greeting thing. He also does it if I'm changing activities - like if I pick him up from one room to go do something else. He's like "Okay, I'm stretched and ready to go!"

·
Registered
880 Posts
Bunny stretches often too, but I think it may have something to do with me stretching with her... If she sees me stretching my arms she does it too.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I see my parrotlet Yoshi do it all the time, and I've never noticed any pattern to it.

But, I do know that I LOVE stretching, so I bet he does too. :)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Virgil stretches to let me know he has to poop. He stretches and usually says "stretch" and I know to sit him on his perch. Once he's on his perch he does his business and waits for me to take him back!

·
Registered
28 Posts
that is so great to read...lol..I just thought she has sat on her perch in one place for so long that she is stretching and getting up to go...its lovely to think of her greeting me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine stretches a good amount too. But its usually when he wakes up in the morning or if he's cozy and then I come into the room. I just see it as like stretching because he thinks he is going to start moving, come out of the cage when he sees me. I don't think of it as a greeting, just that he was comfortable in a quiet room and then when I come in its like "ok Im ready for whatever now"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts