Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Luna was napping and having scritches, head all puffy and content. I could feel her tiny belly tremble randomly off and on for the entire cuddle. I've had cats, and this felt the way it did when they purred. No sound my ear could catch, just tiny trembling. Anyone else have a purring bird?

·
Administrator
5,088 Posts
Yup.
Rio likes to cuddle up in my hand for warmth. I can feel him purr while there.

• Love
Reactions: LunaBlue

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Oh my goodness! So cute! Kiwi is sleeping against my neck right now and I am not feeling anything other than heat and feathers. Lol! I don’t think I have a purring bird.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My parrotlets don't purr that way. The way you describe it, it sounds so cute! My blue girl used to fly to me and rub her beak over my cheek while making purring buzzy sounds. She also did this often during preening time. I refer to them as parrotlet kisses. My green girl has started to do the same as well. I don't think it's the same thing as you described, but I'm wondering whether other people are familiar with this behaviour?

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Kiwi was snuggled against my neck last night and I felt these little tremors in her that I have felt for years and always associated with her being cold (because I am literally always cold). I would always feel her feet and body when she did that but she was always as warm as toast. And super annoyed that I disturbed her. I wonder if she is “purring” in the way you describe it! I never thought of it that way! If it is, I bet she stops as soon as I am feeling for her feet and body LOL! Maybe that is why it is so rare now. 🤔

·
Administrator
5,088 Posts
Adorable. And reassuring to not keep thinking she is cold!
If her feet are warm then she is good. It is the first thing they shutdown when they start getting cold. Now you can let her purr in peace......

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Super interesting! After all these years, I am still learning fascinating new things about these little guys. Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My Pearl does this sometimes when I'm cuddling her but I associate it more with a 'buzzing' noise, kind of like a little bee. She normally does it when I'm grooming her and I hit a spot she doesn't like, so she'll make this sound - for Pearl, it's a sign of slight annoyance when she is sleepy haha.
Luna also makes buzzing sounds but the purring is barely audible, even in a silent room. It's more like a shiver that starts in the belly. But those buzzy kisses are sooo cute. Luna preens my hands and buzzes happily 😊

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
@Poppy’s parrotlets - I noticed you mentioned grooming Pearl. I’m not sure what you meant by that but did you know that stroking their bodies can stimulate them to produce eggs? I think it is considered some kind of mating ritual. My understanding is that you should only touch their heads and neck. Just wanted to mention it if you were not aware and the grooming you do includes her body.

·
Registered
13 Posts
No I just use the term ‘grooming’ - I’m just giving her head ‘scritches’ and grooming out head pin feathers if she needs help. I never ‘groom’ her body!! I’d heard about that a while ago when I first got Pearl because she is the first of my parrotlets who lets me give her head scratches. But yeah, I don’t mean grooming her in that way at all!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Awesome. It was something I learned on this forum so I wanted to share, just in case. Are you able to help Pearl with her pinnies? Kiwi would have none of it if I tried, even though she could have a lot of them when she was younger and I could see they were bothering her. She would let me give scritches, which probably helped a little, but she was super reactive so I was always cautious.

·
Super Moderator
6,723 Posts
Oh yes, Lilly does. She makes quite a few little funny noises when she's snuggling. This girl would snuggle ALL day long. Sometimes she makes that noise you described and sometimes it's so quiet it's almost like a tiny hum. And if it's really quiet, I can hear her little heart beating, it's so fast.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts