Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I've Never Made It!

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • It Is Hit or Miss

Votes: 4 44.4%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pugsley is not as enthusiastic about his chop as he was. He still eats the broccoli I attach to the bars of his cage every day so I am not sure what is going on. I tried adding chia to the chop, but the little stinker just eats that and leaves everything else. I have been doing a lot of training lately and have been giving him yummy seeds as rewards - he may be holding out for the seeds. :rolleyes: In the nicest way possible, hell will freeze and pigs will fly before I let him become a seed junkie! lol I guess I will have to cut back on treats and take it from there. Who said owning a bird was easy? ;) Anyhoo, what is your birds stance on chop?

Super Moderator
The favorite thing I ever got mine was a grain bake mix from Christine's Chop shop. All the birds were crazy about it. I feel like I should get more now 馃槅
We recently got a freeze dryer, and I plan to make a large batch of bird chop and freeze dry it. It would be wonderful to just add a bit of water to a few spoon full and then have it be all ready to go!

Reactions: Anya

Super Moderator
Kiwi was never a chop lover. She seems to like to eat her veggies separately, not mixed together. She reminds me of my brother - he would never let his food even touch as a kid haha!

Super Moderator
Kiwi was never a chop lover. She seems to like to eat her veggies separately, not mixed together. She reminds me of my brother - he would never let his food even touch as a kid haha!
Haha
Yep. My son will not eat things that are mixed. 馃檮 Everything has to be seperate. Except pizza 馃ぃ
I just recently started letting him eat pizza, I think it's the fastest word he ever got down. If he just sees the box he gets excited. That, and chocolate. 馃う馃徎鈥嶁檧锔

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The favorite thing I ever got mine was a grain bake mix from Christine's Chop shop. All the birds were crazy about it. I feel like I should get more now 馃槅
We recently got a freeze dryer, and I plan to make a large batch of bird chop and freeze dry it. It would be wonderful to just add a bit of water to a few spoon full and then have it be all ready to go!
I need to check Christine's Chop Shop out - I may try the grain bake. Thanks! I once tried making birdie bread for Cleopatra and it was a disaster - she wouldn't touch it. lol I heard freeze dryers are awesome and that food can last for YEARS. Yeah, you just add water or juice and it is ready. Crazy good! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, back! :) Yeah, chop is a mixture of different kinds of fresh and cooked veggies, legumes, and grains that are chopped into bite-sized pieces (that your bird will eat). Some birds like them in tiny pieces and some prefer them larger. If you decide to try it, they recommend you add 1-2 orange veggies and 2-5 (or more) other veggies. Also add some dark leafy green vegetables too. You can also add fruit and spices. I usually add the fruit, spices and green leafy veggies before I serve it, but it is up to you! There are all sorts of things you can add - Just make sure all the ingredients are safe before giving them to your bird. You should try it. You can start off as simple as you want.;)

Registered
Hi, back! :) Yeah, chop is a mixture of different kinds of fresh and cooked veggies, legumes, and grains that are chopped into bite-sized pieces (that your bird will eat). Some birds like them in tiny pieces and some prefer them larger. If you decide to try it, they recommend you add 1-2 orange veggies and 2-5 (or more) other veggies. Also add some dark leafy green vegetables too. You can also add fruit and spices. I usually add the fruit, spices and green leafy veggies before I serve it, but it is up to you! There are all sorts of things you can add - Just make sure all the ingredients are safe before giving them to your bird. You should try it. You can start off as simple as you want.;)
Ok thanks for that. 馃檪

Registered
pip gets his veggies every day, but never actually made chop. He likes carrots, pepper seed balls, broccoli (daily), and occasional other veggies. When I make a Romaine salad, I take the bottom that you throw away normally and press a couple of sunflower seeds and a couple of dried corn kernels in it, sprinkle some chia on top, and he goes to town. He loves corn on the cob and will not let me eat that in peace. He also likes the occasional fruit, but mostly if I鈥檓 eating it. I guess that makes it taste better. I try to change up a bit, but his preference seems to be smaller pieces of veggies. When he gets his mini carrots, I usually put in one whole, one half, and small pieces. Sprinkle a little chia and he鈥檚 a happy guy. And mostly raw, except things like sweet potatoes, corn and occasionally beets.
and I do keep a frozen bag of broccoli just in case I run out of fresh. He LOVES his broccoli.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pip gets his veggies every day, but never actually made chop. He likes carrots, pepper seed balls, broccoli (daily), and occasional other veggies. When I make a Romaine salad, I take the bottom that you throw away normally and press a couple of sunflower seeds and a couple of dried corn kernels in it, sprinkle some chia on top, and he goes to town. He loves corn on the cob and will not let me eat that in peace. He also likes the occasional fruit, but mostly if I鈥檓 eating it. I guess that makes it taste better. I try to change up a bit, but his preference seems to be smaller pieces of veggies. When he gets his mini carrots, I usually put in one whole, one half, and small pieces. Sprinkle a little chia and he鈥檚 a happy guy. And mostly raw, except things like sweet potatoes, corn and occasionally beets.
and I do keep a frozen bag of broccoli just in case I run out of fresh. He LOVES his broccoli.
Some great ideas! 馃榾馃憤

1 - 12 of 12 Posts