Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Well I am in the beginning stages of my two being caged together. I did not have any intentions on them living together but they really wanted to be together and would call for each so I gave in. It has been about 3 weeks and so far they are bonded with each other but still step up out of the cage and come to me. They still give me kisses and enjoy my company. I don't know if that will last as they live together longer but we will see.
Also they argue a lot, not fight but just tell each other off, lol then they make up and kiss.
I have read so many negative things about keeping P'lets in pairs and I am still leary of it, but so far it is working out fine.

Of course your birds may not get along at all and you will not have to worry about this, lol

Good luck and congrats on your new addition!!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
It's usually NOT recommended to house parrotlets together. The foremost parrotlet breeding expert in the U.S. even recommends against housing breeding parrotlets together except during their time of mating and raising babies. Parrotlets are notorious for aggression. With that said, I purchased an adult, bonded pair of parrotlets that already lived together. They still do live together in a large flight cage, however, there are times during the year when I do separate them. Any time I start to see the female getting testy with the male, I separate. I'll allow them out of cage time together supervised. They do love one another and are not breeding birds, but I will tell you that I do have to keep a very close eye on them. I also do not house them in the same room as my other birds or the female will attack the male. They're really complex little ones. If you can possibly house them separately, I would highly recommend it. It will be safer for your two, and you can maintain a bond with them also. Once they are housed together for any length of time, they bond strongly with one another (when they aren't trying to kill one another - ha ha ;)).

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
I have 2 kept together. I got Indi as a buddy for Noodle. Both were older, but it was love at first site. I had them separated for about 1 month for quarantine purposes. Indi was progressing with her training (she was untamed) really fast. But since they've been caged together, she no longer interacts with me as much. She's still tame, she will step up and come out of her cage on her own. Noodle prefers no human contact unless absolutely necessary. I also know that she would be a better pet if I had kept her separated from Noodle (she did let me scritch her and put her on her back initially but not anymore).

I would also recommend keeping them caged separately if you want to maintain the bond to you. It's the best chance of this, but it may or may not work out still.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I tried, to put Zack in Noel's cage to play, and she would chase him out, so they did not bond, which he was so young anyway, nor do I want them to bond, and we don't want any babies. They get along well outside of their cages and do play. I have a friend who put her baby Love Birds together and they have bonded , will have nothing to do with their human family, and have started to mate and they are brother and sister, I tried telling her not a good situation, but she will not listen. So even brother and sister will mate. 2 males would be fine, but 2 females, would not get along.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have 8 parrotlets (4 male/female pairs) and all are housed one pair (male/female)/cage. I've never had any problems whatsoever with the arrangement. I do have one hen who is a bit feisty but her male companion is very much her equal so it's a good match.

Charlie and Callie have been housed together since Charlie was 8 weeks old and they like each other a lot. There's been no aggression between them and both are very friendly with me and that's because I pay attention to them.

What I've said here is based on my experience with my own parrotlets. My numbers are small compared to parrotlet breeders.

·
Registered
625 Posts
my experiment didn't work

That is the exact problem I had when I first got Gemma and Obi: the breeder had suggested getting two so that they'd have company and assured me it wouldn't affect how they bonded with me. How wrong! I had them in the same cage and they didn't pay any attention to me at all for two weeks and only then after I moved them into separate cages and separate rooms. I feel like I lost two of the most important weeks I could have with them. After months of having them apart, I decided to experiment and moved them into the same room but in separate cages on opposite sides of the room just a couple of weeks ago. At first it worked: they would squawk at each other but if I was in the room and spoke to them, they'd calm down and just play in their cages. I took each out separately and sometimes stayed in the room and there was no problem. Until a few days ago. They discovered each other and the minute I took one out, s/he would fly to the other and the wiggle necking would start. I couldn't even get them to stay with me long enough to get them out of the room. So, they're in separate rooms again.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have a pair of bonded males living together in a Marvelous XL cage, and they're flighted. If they start bickering, one can get away from the other, however, they get along very well. They aren't from the same clutch, but were born roughly at the same time and the breeder housed them together before I got them so they were already bonded.

I think it's worth a try if 1) the cage is large and 2) both birds are fully flighted and not handicapped in anyway. I believe their lives are more enriched by being together.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Once again today I've had to separate my two, as I do several times a year. It's sad because Ziggy loves Emmie so much, but she goes through periods (and this time of year for sure) where she just wants to kill him. Sigh.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's usually NOT recommended to house parrotlets together. The foremost parrotlet breeding expert in the U.S. even recommends against housing breeding parrotlets together except during their time of mating and raising babies. Parrotlets are notorious for aggression. With that said, I purchased an adult, bonded pair of parrotlets that already lived together. They still do live together in a large flight cage, however, there are times during the year when I do separate them. Any time I start to see the female getting testy with the male, I separate. I'll allow them out of cage time together supervised. They do love one another and are not breeding birds, but I will tell you that I do have to keep a very close eye on them. I also do not house them in the same room as my other birds or the female will attack the male. They're really complex little ones. If you can possibly house them separately, I would highly recommend it. It will be safer for your two, and you can maintain a bond with them also. Once they are housed together for any length of time, they bond strongly with one another (when they aren't trying to kill one another - ha ha ;)).
I have a young male and an older female they are not a year old yet they sre in the same cage but i am taking the female out and she is going in a cage of her own as it looks like the male is plucking feathers out of her head (hard to explain) i have another cage so its not a problem

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
Elaine this message chain is a decade old. Most of these people are no longer active so you will most likely not get a response.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts