TalkParrotlets.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is an odd question, but when my girl bathes, her feathers shed the water like a duck's feathers. The water just beads up, rolls off, and she appears perfectly dry. It's like this with a mist from a spray bottle or with a little stream of water from a fountain I was recently given (which she seems to really like), or even when she tries in her water dish. Is this normal for p'lets?? My linnies are soaked in about 2 seconds, it's just so different.

-NG

·
Super Moderator
4,406 Posts
Nope. Normal bird bath only gets them partially wet. I have had to rinse them off a few time for various reasons where they got really wet. They were not pleased.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Huey had an elaborate bath routine lasted a long time splashing about bobbing about in his bath. He came out looking dry to me.

·
Super Moderator
4,871 Posts
I end up wetter looking than Tumi - he likes to splash water everywhere. Most of the water rolls off of him and everywhere but his feathers. He seems to get a bit wetter when he climbs into his water dish, as he manages to get his down feathers a bit wet, but his back always stays dry.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Usually Pip takes his bath in a water glass when he can. He then jumps onto my arm and dries his face in my sleeve. I’m the worlds largest bath towel.

·
Super Moderator
4,871 Posts
Usually Pip takes his bath in a water glass when he can. He then jumps onto my arm and dries his face in my sleeve. I’m the worlds largest bath towel.
Lol! Nice to meet you - I'm the world's largest napkin! Tumi uses me to clean his beak after getting it extra messy! :D

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Remember the " Wet Bird " contests we had earlier in this forum about 3 or 4 years ago? Members sent in pics of their birds after a really intense bath. Some of those pics were scary! The p'letts faces and chests and the bird had a monster expression on them!

Maybe we ought to have that contest again!?!?!? I remember some close up pics that were funny, too!

I remember when I filled up my sink with warm, sudsy water and put an empty, dirty pan of spaghetti sauce in it. I should have rinsed it off first. Well, the spaghetti sauce juice was mixed in the soap bubbles.

Then, the phone rang! I walked over a couple of feet to pick up the phone when I remembered that Bogie was out and about the room...somewhere!

All of a sudden, Bogie flew by me and landed on top of the bubbles. His wings were spread out so he wouldn't sink in that saucy water. I picked him up and looked at his frightened face. I couldn't help but laugh!

You know it took me a week to clean off all that sauce? He smelled like an Italian bird meatball!!!

Bogie always did things like that. He never stopped investigating things and getting into trouble!

I also learned not to feed him celery! He ate a lot of celery one day and his crop smelled like celery for over a week! I hate the smell of celery! I'll bet he wondered why I didn't kiss him a lot that week! Along came Bogie......

Wet Bird contest, anyone? We can vote on the best pic. New pic or old pic!

David:p

·
Registered
729 Posts
Hi NG! :) Mine comes out of a bath mostly dry too - Just the chest and cheeks. It is the tightness and the structure in certain types of their feathers that makes them waterproof and that is why the water just rolls off them. They are pretty much waterproof!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Bath time!

Percy is mostly dry also! Some times I look more wet than her:) She love bath time and than grooming herself in my lap!

·
Super Moderator
6,463 Posts
Yes David I remember the wet bird photo contest! Hahaha I was going to say only Melody used to get soaked but that was if she accidentally fell in the sink or a bowl of cereal :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Daph would bath with her water bottle, stuff her beak up the spout and let water pour out all over her face and head and chest... Doing this she would get parts of her body fairly wet. If she sat on her perch in the shower she could get fairly wet if she chose to but the mist beaded up and rolled off mainly.

But on the other end of the spectrum was our Amazon, he would stand on the shower perch in the stream of the shower and hang out as long as we let him! He would come out soaked to the skin! The funniest was when he would try to bathe in his water bowl, he would hang upside down and basically dunk his head... He would come out looking like a punk rocker with a wilted Mohawk 🤣

Our quaker is much more "normal" gets her feathers damp, sprays water all over the room but looks more or less dry when she is done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts