Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be at home much more this summer than I was able to be over the past nine months, and I was wondering if there were any fun rituals, games, activities, etc., that you have with your birds?

I am making it my mission to learn more about tricks and training this summer, but I was wondering if there are any other things you do with your birds. I think part of the reason we have been unsuccessful with training is that our house has been so messy, it seems to distract him. I am working on making some space outside of the cage that is "his space."

Barley currently only really runs in his hamster wheel or sits on my shoulder when he is out of his cage. He has a bird playground with a swing and some ladders, but he only ever seems to sit on top of it and groom himself. I have learned that he loves to shred any paper that is nearby, so I sometimes let him shred paper towels scrap paper, or a cardboard coffee sleeve if it seems harmless. If I have to leave the house for a while, I will play the radio for him to have other noises since he is quite a talker and imitator.

What out-of-cage activities does your bird seem to enjoy?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Conway's play gym has a mirror hanging on it. When we first got it, he'd pull the mirror off and toss it to the floor and yell until I picked it up for him.
This went on and on and on for as long as I was willing to play.
I finally pinched the hook together so the mirror was no longer able to come off.
He still tries to get it off from time to time. In this game -- I was the winner.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Oliver loves playing peek a boo. When he wants to play, he actually mimics the head bow I do when I hide my face, pulls his wings back, and makes a specific peep sound---all at the same time.

Also when I first take him out after work, he has to get petted for at least 5 minutes before he'll go on his gym. He lays his cheek all the way down on my arm for scritches.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Oliver loves playing peek a boo. When he wants to play, he actually mimics the head bow I do when I hide my face, pulls his wings back, and makes a specific peep sound---all at the same time.
Oh my gosh, that's adorable.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jinx n Noodle: Barley loves, loves, LOVES playing with cat balls, but I've noticed that he can only play with them outside of his cage without becoming aggressive. If I leave one in his cage attached to his swing, it keeps him entertained for hours, but he becomes very aggressive. He sometimes plays with several of them on top of his cage, but he can still be aggressive, so I often have to remind him who's boss. However, having him play with the balls away from his cage is great! He's still entertained, but not as much of a stinker. Have you experienced anything like this?

I will have to try the peekaboo suggestion.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think the obsession with picking up/dropping objects must be pretty common, because Kai loves doing this too. His favourite game when out of the cage is "drop it". Basically, he picks up the nearest toy, runs to the edge of the bed with it and hurls it as far as he can :p Foraging can be a fun out of the cage activity too. I crumble up millet and hide it on a play mat with a few foot toys, and Kai is amused for HOURS.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Foraging can be a fun out of the cage activity too. I crumble up millet and hide it on a play mat with a few foot toys, and Kai is amused for HOURS.
That sounds fun! I want to try it with Oliver. What is a play mat?

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Yup, Wasabi is aggressive when those balls are in his cage, I just don't go near them and when I have to, I pick them up quickly and toss them somewhere else. Usually he'll go after the ball and not my hand if I just toss them.

I have a coconut thing in the p'let cages (looks like a coconut tiki hut or something) that I throw in a bunch of foot toys. The birds like tossing them out of them and then chasing after them on the floor of their cage. Definitely keeps them occupied :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
When my three are out we do training. I hear this helps with bonding. Right now were learning how to spin on our perches.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Puzzle adores cat toys - especially the crinkle balls!

A fun foraging activity (that also combines the love of shredding) is to tie up some sunflower or pumpkin seeds or Nutriberries into little tissue squares using some cotton thread. I hang them all over his playgym and cage - Puzzle loves to shred them then get the treat inside! Lately I've been making ones without anything in them too, so he doesn't get a treat every time but he still gets to destroy!

I also will fold him little paper houses to throw around and chew up - he likes pretending he's Godzilla!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Oh no! I started something today~~
I got Conway this quad pod toy. quad pod bird toy.jpg

He didn't pay much attention to it so after a week I moved it to the outside of his cage.
I reach up and spin it and he runs over to try and spin it himself.
He SCREAMS because he can't do it.
After a half hour I got a headache!! He's eating his dinner now.
I hope he doesn't come back for more :eek:

·
Registered
824 Posts
He came back for more. I played for a few minutes and then ignored him.
That was hard to do.
He finally gave in and went nighty night. Tomorrow is another day :eek:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like Julie's idea of teaching the bird to spin on the perch. Time to go learn more about training!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Oh no! I started something today~~
I got Conway this quad pod toy. View attachment 3730

He didn't pay much attention to it so after a week I moved it to the outside of his cage.
I reach up and spin it and he runs over to try and spin it himself.
He SCREAMS because he can't do it.
After a half hour I got a headache!! He's eating his dinner now.
I hope he doesn't come back for more :eek:
Yuri loves his! It's on the angled part of his cage that starts up to the rounded roof. So he wears a bell as a hat and moves the toy to give himself scritchies. Awe... I just love that little chicken butt.

·
Registered
237 Posts
This is my ritual. I have all his little foot toys and toys I am getting him use to in this basket. Along with treats and baby burp blankets. I can take it where ever we want to play, and everything is at my reach.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yuri loves his! It's on the angled part of his cage that starts up to the rounded roof. So he wears a bell as a hat and moves the toy to give himself scritchies. Awe... I just love that little chicken butt.
Yep, Conway has a hangy bell he does the same thing with. I was ready to snap a picture one day but missed the shot.
The bell was on top of his head after scritches and looked like a party hat.

They are just too cute!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I like your basket idea, PurdyGreen!
It works well for me. It's not a basket he plays on. The idea is it is a clean zone. I know some people make play gyms out of baskets, but that is not what this is. I know everything is clean and safe for him in the basket. Keeps foot toys from wandering all over my house. Lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts