Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so my whole question is pretty much in the title: Do parrotlets attack their offspring?
I asked in another forum before and they said yes but I haven't been able to find any remarks about this anywhere else.

Both my parrotlets are so lovely, I'm just thinking maybe I should let them breed. But maybe not. Just collecting information.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To clarify, I mean after a certain age or so. If I were to breed them then I would intend to keep the parents and children as a flock and I don't know if it's possible.

·
Super Moderator
5,102 Posts
I don't know specifically about parrotlets, but I had a cockatiel before Tumi who was the only offspring of two pet cockatiels, and her dad definitely decided to "kick her out of the nest" when he thought she was old enough to move out. I suspect that all bird parents are hard-wired to try to force their offspring to move out when they are old enough.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Yes, your babies can be attacked by the parents, mostly by the male. If you try to keep them as a flock, then you must have a small aviary set up, because they will breed all over the place.

Parrotlets are basically happier as single birds when in captivity, but people do breed them. I suggest that you start studying all about raising p'letts right now! Once your pair starts mating, watch out. I suggest that you go to You Tube and ask the question you asked us. When you ask the question, make sure you ask to see a video on the subject. You would be surprised on how many videos about parrotlets there are on You Tube. But be careful, I have seen videos that were misinformed about the parrotlet, so get as many opinions you can on your questions. As always, make sure you have an avian vet, if possible, who you could ask questions.

David 🦜 🦜

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes, both the male and female parents can attack their children. If you decided to keep all of them, they would need to be caged separately. Please do a lot of research before you start breeding, since this is an elementary topic. There is a lot of incorrect information on Youtube, so I would keep that in mind.

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
I have not raised parrotlets but have been on here for a while. Generally the parents tend to get aggressive and push the chicks out at a certain time frame. But parrotlets are very much their own individuals and I have heard of about every combination. From both parents being very good and living in relative harmony in an extended flock way into adulthood. To the opposite side where one or the other of the parents are hostile to the chicks early on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see, thank you :). Well I simply won't breed them then I guess. Just wanted to doublecheck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts