Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed how oddly long my Malibu's beak was getting. He has cuttlebone in his cage but is thoroughly uninterested. I was just making sure that it's alright if his beak seems unnaturally long?

Also, his toenails seem a little too long, like they may be getting in the way of him walking properly. Same question.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I've never needed to trim my parrotlets' nails nor beaks. They do a good job of that themselves. Most parrotlets actually trim their own nails! :) However, there are some species (like green rumps) and also medical conditions that can cause beak problems. This should be addressed by an avian veterinarian. If the beak needs trimming, only let the vet do it. You can offer more things for them to chew. Mine love the wood kabobs, cuttle bones, fruity cuttle bone perches - they can keep their beaks nice and trim on these usually. A nice cement perch also helps with the nails.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I noticed that Kiwi wasn't interested in his cuttlebone for the first few months he was here but has since been using it. I also have a rougher perch in his cage that I see him constantly rubbing his beak on, usually after eating, and I think that is also their way of keeping their beak trimmed down. I believe that same perch also helps with keeping their nails down. I was in a pet store a few months back where I saw a p'let and I couldn't believe how long his beak was. I'm not sure of his species though. I felt so sorry for the little one. Long beak, one perch, bowl of dirty water and food and one hanging toy. UGH and double UGH. I should have snatched him right out of there but we're not set up for another bird, but I did have a little conversation with the local humane society ;)

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Yes, both nails and beak can overgrow. Normally the beak is naturally trimmed from chewing on wood, and nails are worn down by rough perches. If either the nails or beak are overgrown, you probably want to take your bird to an avian vet and have them dremeled down. After that, you can put a pedicure perch as one perch in the cage, placed so you know your bird will use it - in front of a food dish, etc. I have mine attached to the door, and Cello often sits there when the door is open.
Reta

1 - 4 of 4 Posts