1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
4,572 Posts
First cage looks good to me. Some of this will depend on how much you let them out. With us our guys are out most of the time we are home so at least a few hours of the day, so they can have a smaller cage.

The second one would work also but looks to be a bit hard to clean.

The third cage from amazon has wire spacing too big wide and is not appropriate. bar spacing needs to be 1/2 inch max otherwise their head can have issues

Reactions: kiwi_and_avocado

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First cage looks good to me. Some of this will depend on how much you let them out. With us our guys are out most of the time we are home so at least a few hours of the day, so they can have a smaller cage.

The second one would work also but looks to be a bit hard to clean.

The third cage from amazon has wire spacing too big wide and is not appropriate. bar spacing needs to be 1/2 inch max otherwise their head can have issues

there out whenever I'm home, around 9 hours each day, I share a pic of my setup tomorrow morning I clean it and put new perches in today :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
I think your current cage size looks good. The general rule is 1/2 inch bar spacing or less, and enough space for the bird to fully stretch their wings - in larger species that's usually considered to be 1.5x the wingspan. As parrotlets are active but small, my go to is enough room for them to fly slightly. I'd try to keep a section of the cage between two perches clear of toys so there's a spot for them to fly back and forth, should they wish.

·
Super Moderator
4,572 Posts
Cage looks good to me. The only thing I might suggest is less dow perches and more natural branch ones so their feet get a variety of perching grips.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts