Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever there's a crinkly sound--whether it's a plastic bag, a candy wrapper, a Christmas ribbon, or whatever--Darwin fluffs up, hunches over, makes a high-pitched mewing sound, and chases after it.

I used to think this was him being playful towards something that mildly irritates him, but my mom has seen it now and is very concerned that it might actually be upsetting him--like he thinks it's another bird in trouble and he's trying to help it, or he thinks it's his bird mom. When I stop but keep crinkling it, he doesn't bite like he's angry or even really attack whatever it is that's making the noise. He just continues to mew and hunch over, fluffed up.

Now I'm worried that I've been teasing and worrying him this whole time. Does anyone know what this behavior means, and/or whether it's harmful for my parrotlet? I know a lot of parrotlets respond in a similar way to the same kinds of sounds, so can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks, y'all!

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I have not seen anything like this with my two, but when mine are afraid they get skinny not fluffly or puffed up.

·
Registered
870 Posts
mine puffs up, peeps and runs about when he hears the crinklie bag, but I think it is because he is excited he thinks he is getting a treat. but I'm not 100% sure..

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
All my guys attack the crinkling stuff. Once I stop it, they just go after it and bite the heck out of it to see if it'll crinkle more, if not, they'll turn away and leave. I don't think it makes them worried that somebody is hurt or irritated, it just makes my guys mad/angry/playful....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sunny gets very happy when he hears crinkle noises, and he does what you describe - puffs up, runs around chasing it. I can tell it's happy because he acts differently when he hears noises he doesn't like, such as prescription bottles. When he's angry as opposed to happy I can tell because he gets a lot more hunched over and opens his beak and lunges at whatever is bothering him.

This link is a video of my bird when he's happy at crinkle noises! I think it depends on the bird as to what noises upset them - if you think it might be bothering him it might be best to stop.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Sunny gets very happy when he hears crinkle noises, and he does what you describe - puffs up, runs around chasing it. I can tell it's happy because he acts differently when he hears noises he doesn't like, such as prescription bottles. When he's angry as opposed to happy I can tell because he gets a lot more hunched over and opens his beak and lunges at whatever is bothering him.

This link is a video of my bird when he's happy at crinkle noises! I think it depends on the bird as to what noises upset them - if you think it might be bothering him it might be best to stop.
That is so adorable. :D

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I don't know if mine loves or hates crinkling plastic and paper... all I know is he goes NUTS... he gets VERY excited and yells as he runs around madly!!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Mine too! Not sure if it's a love or hate relationship! Actually, thats how my Bentley started talking. Every time I rustled a plastic bag, he'd race frantically all over his cage screaming, "Whatcha doin'?". Took me a bit to figure it out but it got very clear. Now he even knows when we take the plastic wrap off the microwave popcorn...that's funny! He just LOVES popcorn!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Cricket just started doing that about a month ago- not sure if she loves it or hates it, but it's pretty darn cute! She'll be sitting on my shoulder under my hair and if she hears crinkling plastic she'll run down me and try to get to it and get all excited.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The same here he hears the shopping bags come in and goes crazy. I can't figure out if hes scared of of plastic or not. I do know when he is frightened of other things he runs away so I think he enjoys them. I also am guilty of making noise with them just to see what he does. I don't think it does any harm because they run right for the action.
I wonder if this is just common to parrotlets or if other species of birds react the same way.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not only does Pepper go nuts for crinkly paper, she does the same birdie-fit when I brush my teeth, file my nails or shake her jingle ball. She's a crazy little girl!

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I tried it again today with Zack, he just got skinny and left the room, he is afraid of that noise.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, good! I figured a lot of people's birds would react similarly. I'm relieved to hear that nobody really thinks it's something to be alarmed about. My guy does seem very playful when he goes after the crinkly stuff. I guess it's just one of those inexplicable things that some animals do :D

But, just like michiganlet, I do wonder if other species do this or if it's just parrotlets!

(Thanks, everybody, for responding!)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried it again today with Zack, he just got skinny and left the room, he is afraid of that noise.
Aw, I'm sorry Zack's afraid :( What about Noel? I've just watched a bunch of YouTube videos of parrotlets reacting to crinkly noises in the same way mine does, so it seems pretty common.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sounds like the consensus is that the crinkly noise is stimulating and gives the parrotlets entertainment. Have fun with your parrotlet!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Whenever there's a crinkly sound--whether it's a plastic bag, a candy wrapper, a Christmas ribbon, or whatever--Darwin fluffs up, hunches over, makes a high-pitched mewing sound, and chases after it.

I used to think this was him being playful towards something that mildly irritates him, but my mom has seen it now and is very concerned that it might actually be upsetting him--like he thinks it's another bird in trouble and he's trying to help it, or he thinks it's his bird mom. When I stop but keep crinkling it, he doesn't bite like he's angry or even really attack whatever it is that's making the noise. He just continues to mew and hunch over, fluffed up.

Now I'm worried that I've been teasing and worrying him this whole time. Does anyone know what this behavior means, and/or whether it's harmful for my parrotlet? I know a lot of parrotlets respond in a similar way to the same kinds of sounds, so can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks, y'all!
My

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks, y'all!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts