Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I really could use some advice on Pips diet. He is 3 years old now.
The Goldenfeast Australian blend he was eating has changed and doesn’t seem to be as healthy. I’ve been giving him Goldenfeast hookbill legume blend instead. It does have a lot of different nuts mixed in along with fruits and veggies, canary seed,soybean, oats, millet, etc. But I’m questioning if tf this blend is ok because of the nuts. I mix it together with Harrison’s adult super fine.
I dont want to see him get fatty liver disease.
I also use Harrison’s birdie bread mix and add canned pumpkin, and a variety of chopped veggies. He usually gets the birdie bread for breakfast.
He has starting eating some banana recently and Apple which is a big plus because I had to sneak fruit into the birdie bread. He has never liked fruit, so it’s good to see him finally eating some undisguised.
He also eats some greens occasionally like dandelion, broccoli. Scrambled egg now and then.
Any suggestions, especially about a seed blend?

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Try any cockatiel seed mixes. This is very good for a p'lett. Any name brand is okay. Fresh veggies is good for a p'lett. P'letts generally do not like fruits as much as veggies. Freeze dried strawberries are good. Any berry is good. Blueberries are messy, but are very nutritious. Triscuit 'Hint of Salt' biscuits are really good as a treat. One a day is enough. Hard boiled eggs are good, too. Skinless Baked chicken breast is very good. Chop up some for your bird every few days. Freeze the rest for later. Hemp seeds are good for your bird and as a treat. My p'letts loved it when I would feed them one seed at a time for our quiet time together. Weeping Willow thin branches ( the part that hangs down) is really good for your bird. It contains a natural aspirin for the birds. Every Spring, My Willows get attacked by all kinds of birds. They eat the Willow because it reduces the extreme stress that they are going through with nesting. When a wife bird says " Not tonight, Honey, I have a headache " The male bird goes and gets her willow! haha! He wants her to get rid of her headache.:D:D

I have used ABBA 1600C seed mix with Harrison's Super Fine Adult added and I also went to a bird supply store and purchased my own varieties of seeds and made my own mixes. I have a list somewhere of a really good seed mix that my p'letts ate and had little wasted seeds. I knew what they liked and made the mix myself. It took me a while to figure out the exact percentage of different seeds to add for a perfect balance.

I hope this helps.

Dave🦜

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I prepare a mix of the goldenfeast and cockatiel seed. My guy does not eat safflower seeds so I ry to buy a brand that has fewer. Our bird stores have the tubes of food and you fill a bag. I like this because then I can try different foods a little at a time.

By mixing it together I dont feel he is getting too much of anything. I also put pellets in another dish and he seems to snack on those. He pops one in his beak and climbs up to his perch before eating it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Try any cockatiel seed mixes. This is very good for a p'lett. Any name brand is okay. Fresh veggies is good for a p'lett. P'letts generally do not like fruits as much as veggies. Freeze dried strawberries are good. Any berry is good. Blueberries are messy, but are very nutritious. Triscuit 'Hint of Salt' biscuits are really good as a treat. One a day is enough. Hard boiled eggs are good, too. Skinless Baked chicken breast is very good. Chop up some for your bird every few days. Freeze the rest for later. Hemp seeds are good for your bird and as a treat. My p'letts loved it when I would feed them one seed at a time for our quiet time together. Weeping Willow thin branches ( the part that hangs down) is really good for your bird. It contains a natural aspirin for the birds. Every Spring, My Willows get attacked by all kinds of birds. They eat the Willow because it reduces the extreme stress that they are going through with nesting. When a wife bird says " Not tonight, Honey, I have a headache " The male bird goes and gets her willow! haha! He wants her to get rid of her headache.:D:D

I have used ABBA 1600C seed mix with Harrison's Super Fine Adult added and I also went to a bird supply store and purchased my own varieties of seeds and made my own mixes. I have a list somewhere of a really good seed mix that my p'letts ate and had little wasted seeds. I knew what they liked and made the mix myself. It took me a while to figure out the exact percentage of different seeds to add for a perfect balance.

I hope this helps.

Dave🦜
I love that you make your own P-lett seed mix. Can you share your recipe?
Thanks, Lisa and Chumley

1 - 4 of 4 Posts