Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Unknown death Please help answer questions

Hi everyone,

I am beyond heartbroken and feel so much regret and guilt that a young, green parrotlet I had adopted has passed away 2 days ago. I regret not bringing her home from the hospital and now feel the hospital was the wrong place. Especially while she was "stable" when she didn't want to leave my finger while I visited her. She wanted to possibly pass away with me or maybe would have recovered with me. I'm so upset I have no answers to what happened but theories that all point to my not being careful enough. And the more I analyze things the more I think about how many possible errors I made that led to her passing unnecessarily.

This weekend she started her morning by passing out and couple minutes later recovered. (The day before this I had a lot of parfume in my hair. She was not sitting in my hair, I did not let her and put my hair to the other side and she was sitting on the armchair near my arm).

Then later that day I brought her to the vet and returned home with her after they did a few flight tests. I told them I had done an xray about a month ago and the results were inconclusive and they told me she looked in good health. After we came home *she ate and flew around the had seizures in my hand and I returned to the vet on the way to the vet which was about an hour away (SUNDAY).

Then we decided to hospitalize her and she had 2 seizures in the morning and 1 of them lasted almost an hour. She was injected with calcium in case there was a deficieny but then she could not walk properly on the left side bc of this they thought hypocalcemia may not be the case since she didn't recover fully. She was stable for 2 days and in the hospital I wish I took her home on the 2nd day bc she didn't want to leave me while I visited her.

During this time xrays were done which revealed only a slightly enlarged liver but she was only 25/26g could she have had fatty liver disease at around 2 years old? Also, I did not want to leave her at the hospital and she didnt want me to leave but they said that blood they took was not enough to test for lead poisoning, and that her droppings were too long. For some reason I thought it was best for her to remain there and I had said my goodbyes in case to her. I regret not bringing her back home

And, the next day, third day they called me in the morning to tell me she was fine and by noon they called again and told me she had passed away ! The vet told me that this did not seem like a seizure and that it seems like her body shut off at same time and they unfortunately missed it.

-I am not sure if this is a coincidence but when I adopted her left toe (same side that was left a little impaired after her seizures) did not bend when she was perched and she would be able to still clean her toe nails but that one seemed to stay a little straighter than the others.
-Could my parfume have caused seizures the next day or would it be immediate reaction ?
-Also, she showed a few signs of sickness since a month and was on antifungals or a yeast infection and I was prescribed bacterial meds which I had not started bc I was not sure if her symptoms were from her molting (she was molting head area mostly it seemed 3 times in a row) I had finally decided to start the bacterial meds the same weekend that she had seizures.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. Unless the vet does an autopsy, there's no way to know what happened. I'm not a vet, but I don't think the perfume would be the cause. At the most, the perfume would make it difficult to breathe and she would have died from lack of air while you were wearing it. So I don't think it would have affected her the next day. If she had bacterial meds that she wasn't taking, then I would imagine that was the cause. Again, I'm not a vet and I'm only guessing from what you've said. So so sorry that she died.

·
Registered
315 Posts
holding space for you in my heart for healing. Fly high little bird.

·
Super Moderator
6,579 Posts
I'm so sorry, you must be heartbroken :( I really want you to know that this was NOT your fault. This is normal when a bird passes and there is no apparent "reason" you blame yourself, I've read many posts where people blame themselves over things they could not controll. The continued seizures sound like an ongoing health issue, probably born with it. A little parfume on your skin is not going to kill your bird. Nor do I think anything else you did caused this. I know you are beating yourself up, but you did everything you could you gave her lotts if vet care and took care of her and all that you could to get her well, you made the best decisions you could in the moment and they weren't wrong you can't beat yourself up wondering what "would" have happened. I think this was a health issue you could not controll or fix or avoid. I'm so sorry you weren't there with her, you were doing what you thought was best. I have a coworker who had almost the same situation, decided to keep her Lovie at the vet and he passed about an hour after she left and he was doing supposedly doing much better, she went through the same emotions.
You are not alone, and this was not your fault. Give yourself a break and be kind to yourself. Huggs

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mona, I just want to tell you how sad I am for you and how sorry I am for your loss. I kinda hate those words because they're said so often but I think I dislike them more because they don't accurately convey the level of deep sadness and heartbreak I know you're going through – and that I share with you.

I know what you're going through well. My parrotlet has had liver issues for the last two months and he's been hospitalized twice. I would visit him every day and I would have the same nagging thought every single time that you had: what if he dies at the vet?

But I left him there each time because I felt that it was the absolute best thing I could do for him. I knew he was in expert hands. It was so difficult for me to do that to him. I have had Brisbane since he was two months old and we've lived every day together for eight years. Prior to his hospitalization, we had never, ever been separated, save for my time at work, for a single day. Not even overnight.

My point is you were doing what you felt she needed – giving her veterinary care. And you did it despite it being difficult for you and despite knowing how difficult it was for her because you knew she needed professional care that you yourself could not give.

And I have also run through the same thoughts as you: Did I cause this condition in him? Did I feed him too many seeds and nuts? Was the (supposedly bird-safe) cedar spray I used sparingly at cracks in my baseboards to keep garden insects away poisonous to him? Did I not feed him enough fresh food? Did I not let him get enough sleep? Was I feeding him expired food?

At the end of the day, these parrotlets we love so much are wild animals and have not benefited from the thousands of years of domestication that animals like dogs and cats have gone through to live optimally alongside us. It's impossible to give them 100% of what they need to live their best, healthy lives. We all try our best. And parrotlets bred captively in the US do not have strong genetic diversity (they were introduced as pets in the early 1990s and because of the 1992 ban against wild-caught birds in the US, the genetic strains they are bred from are few) and mutations are guaranteed to have genetic weaknesses because it requires inbreeding to produce those recessive traits. It sounds like your girl may have been dealt a rough hand since she was hatched.

But you gave her the very best life you could and, most of all, you gave her your love.

I am not a religious or very spiritual person in the traditional sense, but when my Canberra, a little zebra finch, died from egg-binding this year, I found a lot of comfort in the podcasts and videos of a woman by the name of Brent Atwater. She may be full of poo, but I dug the way she described animal and human relationships and our soul contracts with one another. Again, it may be entirely bunk, but sometimes bunk helps you get through. :)

I also found Ptomely Tompkin's The Divine Life of Animals to be enormously helpful when another zebbie of mine, Adelaide, also died of egg-binding. This is not Chicken Soup for the Soul kind of stuff (which personally I can't stand) – it's more an anthropological exploration of human's relationship with animals throughout our history. I found it not only comforting but transcendent. I unfortunately may also be at a point where I need to read it again.

Mona, please reach out should you need to talk. Try not to feel guilty though I know it's hard (because I feel guilty, too!). I am sending the most loving and comforting thoughts I can your way.

As Mrs.JP3 said, you are not alone, Mona!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank you everyone, and aeriadne thank you for the suggestions.

The vets mentioned that it could have been something viral which could be related to the walks I was taking with her which I regret so much now. West Nile, or Reovirus. I cannot describe how incredibly awful I feel and feel so ashamed at the things I was doing, not being more careful. I feel awful for letting them draw a little more blood from my tiny baby too which may have led to her sudden death on the third day.

After her death her eyes were closed and even during the night. I had placed her in a lunchbox type container with ice but had trouble keeping her body cold as it would be in a freezer. 1 day and the next day:

Before her cremation, the next day after her passing, I noticed her eye was sinking in (I had placed her in a lunch box type container with ice) . But at the cremation location the same eye was slightly open not completely but open more than a little.

I was scared she was alive and checked her pulse again and the lady there did as well and my mother too. I lifted her in my hands but there was no indication of life, her legs were still stiff, tongue was stiff and in same place as day before and there didn't seem to be life. Also, they had put a cream in her eye bc during one of her seizures she had hurt it so I thought somehow this was related and proceeded with the cremation. The lady at the crematory also said that sometimes these types of things happen and the body releases fluids as well.

But again I am now haunted in case she was alive that I could of done more, that I could have brought her back to the hospital to check for a pulse.

This whole situation has been really difficult, I don't know if I will be able to move on from it.Especially since we were inseparable, she relied on me for everything and we also did not spend time apart except for her time at the hospital since I was working from home. We were together for about 6 months, in 6 months you can't imagine how this little girl stole my heart and made me love life in a way I never had before. I feel I have killed my baby and left her in the wrong hands, the vets were specialized but there were students and my regular vet told me that I was in good hands at that hospital. I don't know what to think or feel. Thank you for your kind words

·
Registered
206 Posts
Oh, Mona, I am so sorry you feel so anguished! I know the raw, searing, crushing weight you feel right now – I have no idea how I will go on without Brisbane. In fact, I have long been looking for a work-from-home job so I could be with him more. I know if he passed, working from home would be unbearable. If I'm honest with you (and you all), if it weren't for my finches, whom I love and whom I would never abandon, I think it would be very difficult for me to find a reason not to check out early...But even if they weren't here, I know that that would be a waste. Because there is another birdy out there who needs my love, and what a loss for him or her if I weren't here to give it.

I've talked at length to my therapist about this. She said something to me that really resonated: you can get another bird and it won't be a disservice to your girl (or my boy) if you do. It's like having multiple children – you don't love one more or less. You love them equally – even if differently – because they're your children. This is what I have to keep telling myself, too: I love loving birds. I will always love Brisbane and if I bring another feathered child into my life, I will love him or her, too. But it doesn't diminish my love for Brisbane. It just means I love his future brother or sister in addition to him, even if he's not here physically to experience siblinghood.

Ok, again, I know this might be kooky, but here is a link to Brent's podcasts: http://www.petliferadio.com/aliveagain.html I can try to find the episode, but there's one where she describes what happens when an animal leaves his/her "fur/feather suit," as she calls it. She describes them as becoming like a "sparkler form." Which is a beautiful thought.

I will state again, this may be totally bunk and wonky. I don't even know if I believe all of it. And I don't want to push snake-oil or some kind of culty belief system. But she does, for me, reinforce some of my own personal beliefs of where we come from and why we come together with certain other beings throughout our lives.

In case this helps you, I decided this morning what I will do with Brisbane's cage when the time comes: I will turn it into a garden. This beautiful cage has been his room for eight years and I cannot bear the thought of another bird in it or it being empty. So I've decided that when the time comes, I will move it to a corner near my living room window and put in some shelves. I will put all his favorite toys there and this is where his ashes and those of my finches will be. And then I will put plants throughout it. When I am ready for another parrot, I will get a much different cage – a flight cage. But his cage will remain a special place for him and my other loves.

I don't know if that will help you – to take your love of your little girl and make a space for her that you can tend and love in her memory. It's going to be so raw and sad for a long time, I know, and that won't feel sufficient in a lot of ways. Brisbane is my family and without him, I won't even celebrate the holidays this year. As someone with no family, he has taught me what it is to have one and nurture one. It will be soul-crushing. But love doesn't end, I believe. So the absolute best thing you can do is create more love for other living creatures in need of it. And the love you and your girl have (not had) will never leave you. It will bond you together between here and wherever it is we all will end up one day.

·
Super Moderator
4,505 Posts
I lost one of my little ones a few years ago. Like you I beat myself up over questions that had no answers. Examining and reexamining every action I did to see what I did wrong. Truth is I did nothing wrong. Birds are just fragile creatures who's time with us is bright and brief. When I lost Bo somebody posted the below poem. It helped letting me know I will be with Bo again. I hope it helps.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When a bird dies that has been especially close to someone here, that bird goes to the Rainbow Bridge. At the Rainbow Bridge, there are meadows, hills, and beautiful trees of all kinds where all our special friends can fly and climb, hang and flap, hop and run, jump and play, squawk and squeal and sing together.

There is plenty of good food, including grapes and peanuts, ice cream and cheese, spaghetti and especially lots of pizza. There is crystal clear water in brooks and springs are filled with water as well as every kind of delicious fresh fruit juice.

One warm spring even runs full of the coffee they can now drink their fill of without hearing a single no-no. There is a lot of glorious sunshine and sweet warm rain when they want it and our friends are warm and comfortable and totally at peace.

All the birds that had been ill or old are restored to health and vigour and to their natural incredible beauty. Their feathers shine, their wing feathers are whole and their eyes gleam once again with vitality. Those who were hurt, maimed, ignored, or broken-hearted are made whole again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days gone by.

The birds are happy and content. Except for one small thing: they each miss someone very special to them who had to be left behind when the bird returned home. Still they all fly and play happily and safely and noisily together: even the grouchiest greys and orneriest senegal, the tiniest finches, the grandest macaws and the sassiest of parrotlets.

But the day comes for each bird when he suddenly stops and looks far into the distance. His body freezes and his bright eyes are intent as he watches and listens in silence. Suddenly he begins to fly from the group, soaring over the green grass, his wings flapping harder and harder!

You have been spotted - and he shrieks to you and then calls your name and his own and cries again and again, as he rushes towards you.When you and your bird finally meet, you cling to each other in joyous reunion, knowing you will never be parted again.

Your face and your fingers and even your toes are covered with beak nibbles and soft ecstatic kisses. Your hair is preened by that special beak, and his head bends under your fingers to invite your touch. Your hands again find their way under beloved wings, to caress the downy softness beneath.

You look once more into the trusting eyes of your companion, so long from your physical life on earth but never for an instant absent from your heart. Your tears of joy are gently brushed away by those beloved wings and feeling immersed once more in total contentment and love, you and your beloved companion cross the Rainbow Bridge together.

Author unknown

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ozzie, thank you for posting that. :) I've seen it many times on here, but it's always nice to read. :)

And hello to you in Louisville, Kentucky (I come from people who hail from there)!

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'll keep this short but.. my baby, Pateetchka died after 1 year. His feet were strange when I got him. They rolled inward like a human with flat feet. I always thought it was my fault that he died of seizures. That's what the vet told me. That's what the pet store told me. Said it was dietary. They didn't do any tests. Just assumed. It wasn't until all these years later that while I was getting my new bird, Joey, the breeder heard my story about Pateetchka. She told me it wasn't my fault and from the sounds of it, she was absolutely SURE it was inbreeding and general infirmity that killed my bird. This may very well be what the problem was with your baby. Don't blame yourself. <3

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
So Sad.
Death could be a mind boggling thing. We humans have a superior way of looking at life and death, but as far as the bird's reasoning, it is a normal thing that happens to them....in other words....the bird's point of view is void of blame. They do not blame anything or anyone for their deaths.

What happens, from a human point of view, is that we attach a myriad of possibilities to the passing. Such as: Was it something I or we did that caused a passing? Did I do enough to help my little one? Did leaving the birdie with the vet cause or hasten the passing? Etc...Etc...

We will drive ourselves crazy while seeking the " answer ", thus, it all comes down to the human blaming something.

Rest assured, Mona, you did not cause or contribute to or hasten the passing. The pressure we put ourselves in can and will be overwhelming if we don't put this passing into perspective.

If you are religious, then the Bible will tell you in and around Ecclesiastes 9:verse 11 (KJV), that we are all a victim of Time and Chance (circumstances), it happens to all. (I call this my 911 verse).

Aptly put--it happens.-- No blames--no real reasons--no fault.

I often think of how I will react when it is time for Bogie to leave this planet. I have never loved anything non-human as much as I love Bogie. I have seen him close to death and I did not like that feeling!

I have been around the world, so to speak and I have seen lovely things........and some terrible and horrible things, too.(My first career was law enforcement and I worked under cover in the most hideous and dangerous places). So, I have witnessed the extreme mankind has to offer. But nothing will compare(non-human)...nothing! to the time when I lose Bogie. I do not want to face that, but I know I must.

I will depend heavily on my Faith and this wonderful forum! I/we will see it...and I will beg for insight to help me get over the passing of such a loved and appreciated creature who God put here for us humans to enjoy. I will question things, too. But, I will get through it, just as sure as you will get over the passing of your loved one.

Man! These parrotlets really tug at our hearts, don't they?

David and Bogie;):rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll keep this short but.. my baby, Pateetchka died after 1 year. His feet were strange when I got him. They rolled inward like a human with flat feet. I always thought it was my fault that he died of seizures. That's what the vet told me. That's what the pet store told me. Said it was dietary. They didn't do any tests. Just assumed. It wasn't until all these years later that while I was getting my new bird, Joey, the breeder heard my story about Pateetchka. She told me it wasn't my fault and from the sounds of it, she was absolutely SURE it was inbreeding and general infirmity that killed my bird. This may very well be what the problem was with your baby. Don't blame yourself. <3

Thank you for sharing your story, appreciate it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I lost one of my little ones a few years ago. Like you I beat myself up over questions that had no answers. Examining and reexamining every action I did to see what I did wrong. Truth is I did nothing wrong. Birds are just fragile creatures who's time with us is bright and brief. When I lost Bo somebody posted the below poem. It helped letting me know I will be with Bo again. I hope it helps.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When a bird dies that has been especially close to someone here, that bird goes to the Rainbow Bridge. At the Rainbow Bridge, there are meadows, hills, and beautiful trees of all kinds where all our special friends can fly and climb, hang and flap, hop and run, jump and play, squawk and squeal and sing together.

There is plenty of good food, including grapes and peanuts, ice cream and cheese, spaghetti and especially lots of pizza. There is crystal clear water in brooks and springs are filled with water as well as every kind of delicious fresh fruit juice.

One warm spring even runs full of the coffee they can now drink their fill of without hearing a single no-no. There is a lot of glorious sunshine and sweet warm rain when they want it and our friends are warm and comfortable and totally at peace.

All the birds that had been ill or old are restored to health and vigour and to their natural incredible beauty. Their feathers shine, their wing feathers are whole and their eyes gleam once again with vitality. Those who were hurt, maimed, ignored, or broken-hearted are made whole again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days gone by.

The birds are happy and content. Except for one small thing: they each miss someone very special to them who had to be left behind when the bird returned home. Still they all fly and play happily and safely and noisily together: even the grouchiest greys and orneriest senegal, the tiniest finches, the grandest macaws and the sassiest of parrotlets.

But the day comes for each bird when he suddenly stops and looks far into the distance. His body freezes and his bright eyes are intent as he watches and listens in silence. Suddenly he begins to fly from the group, soaring over the green grass, his wings flapping harder and harder!

You have been spotted - and he shrieks to you and then calls your name and his own and cries again and again, as he rushes towards you.When you and your bird finally meet, you cling to each other in joyous reunion, knowing you will never be parted again.

Your face and your fingers and even your toes are covered with beak nibbles and soft ecstatic kisses. Your hair is preened by that special beak, and his head bends under your fingers to invite your touch. Your hands again find their way under beloved wings, to caress the downy softness beneath.

You look once more into the trusting eyes of your companion, so long from your physical life on earth but never for an instant absent from your heart. Your tears of joy are gently brushed away by those beloved wings and feeling immersed once more in total contentment and love, you and your beloved companion cross the Rainbow Bridge together.

Author unknown

Thank you for sharing this with me really appreciate it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, Mona, I am so sorry you feel so anguished! I know the raw, searing, crushing weight you feel right now – I have no idea how I will go on without Brisbane. In fact, I have long been looking for a work-from-home job so I could be with him more. I know if he passed, working from home would be unbearable. If I'm honest with you (and you all), if it weren't for my finches, whom I love and whom I would never abandon, I think it would be very difficult for me to find a reason not to check out early...But even if they weren't here, I know that that would be a waste. Because there is another birdy out there who needs my love, and what a loss for him or her if I weren't here to give it.

I've talked at length to my therapist about this. She said something to me that really resonated: you can get another bird and it won't be a disservice to your girl (or my boy) if you do. It's like having multiple children – you don't love one more or less. You love them equally – even if differently – because they're your children. This is what I have to keep telling myself, too: I love loving birds. I will always love Brisbane and if I bring another feathered child into my life, I will love him or her, too. But it doesn't diminish my love for Brisbane. It just means I love his future brother or sister in addition to him, even if he's not here physically to experience siblinghood.

Ok, again, I know this might be kooky, but here is a link to Brent's podcasts: http://www.petliferadio.com/aliveagain.html I can try to find the episode, but there's one where she describes what happens when an animal leaves his/her "fur/feather suit," as she calls it. She describes them as becoming like a "sparkler form." Which is a beautiful thought.

I will state again, this may be totally bunk and wonky. I don't even know if I believe all of it. And I don't want to push snake-oil or some kind of culty belief system. But she does, for me, reinforce some of my own personal beliefs of where we come from and why we come together with certain other beings throughout our lives.

In case this helps you, I decided this morning what I will do with Brisbane's cage when the time comes: I will turn it into a garden. This beautiful cage has been his room for eight years and I cannot bear the thought of another bird in it or it being empty. So I've decided that when the time comes, I will move it to a corner near my living room window and put in some shelves. I will put all his favorite toys there and this is where his ashes and those of my finches will be. And then I will put plants throughout it. When I am ready for another parrot, I will get a much different cage – a flight cage. But his cage will remain a special place for him and my other loves.

I don't know if that will help you – to take your love of your little girl and make a space for her that you can tend and love in her memory. It's going to be so raw and sad for a long time, I know, and that won't feel sufficient in a lot of ways. Brisbane is my family and without him, I won't even celebrate the holidays this year. As someone with no family, he has taught me what it is to have one and nurture one. It will be soul-crushing. But love doesn't end, I believe. So the absolute best thing you can do is create more love for other living creatures in need of it. And the love you and your girl have (not had) will never leave you. It will bond you together between here and wherever it is we all will end up one day.
Thank you so much for sharing your story, and the suggestions. I do not find your suggestions strange but helpful. Also, my belief in reincarnation has been helping me get through this time. Also, I found this which you have probably come across but maybe you can share this with others as well :

"I'll lend you, for a little while, a bird of mine," He said.
"For you to love while he lives, and mourn when he is dead.
It may be six or seven years, or maybe twenty-three,
But will you, till I call him back, take care of him for me?
He'll bring his charms to gladden you, and shall his stay be brief,
You'll have his lovely memories as solace for your grief.
I cannot promise he will stay, as all from Earth return,
But there are lessons taught down there I want this bird to learn.
I've looked the whole world over in my search for teachers true,
And from the throngs that crowd life's lanes, I have selected you.
Now will you give him all your love - not think this labor vain,
Nor hate me when I come to call, to take him back again.
I fancied that I heard them say, 'Dear Lord, thy will be done.'
For all the joy this bird shall bring, the risk of grief we'll run.
We'll shower him with tenderness and love while we may,
And for the happiness we've known, forever grateful stay.
And should the angels call for him much sooner than we planned,
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes, and try to understand."
If, by your love, you've managed, my wishes to achieve,
In memory of him you've loved; be thankful; do not grieve.
Cherish every moment of your feathered charge.
He filled your home with songs of joy the time he was alive.
Let not his passing take from you those memories to enjoy.
"I will lend to you, a Bird", God said, and teach you all you have to do.
And when I call him back to heaven, you will know he loved you too."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So Sad.
Death could be a mind boggling thing. We humans have a superior way of looking at life and death, but as far as the bird's reasoning, it is a normal thing that happens to them....in other words....the bird's point of view is void of blame. They do not blame anything or anyone for their deaths.

What happens, from a human point of view, is that we attach a myriad of possibilities to the passing. Such as: Was it something I or we did that caused a passing? Did I do enough to help my little one? Did leaving the birdie with the vet cause or hasten the passing? Etc...Etc...

We will drive ourselves crazy while seeking the " answer ", thus, it all comes down to the human blaming something.

Rest assured, Mona, you did not cause or contribute to or hasten the passing. The pressure we put ourselves in can and will be overwhelming if we don't put this passing into perspective.

If you are religious, then the Bible will tell you in and around Ecclesiastes 9:verse 11 (KJV), that we are all a victim of Time and Chance (circumstances), it happens to all. (I call this my 911 verse).

Aptly put--it happens.-- No blames--no real reasons--no fault.

I often think of how I will react when it is time for Bogie to leave this planet. I have never loved anything non-human as much as I love Bogie. I have seen him close to death and I did not like that feeling!

I have been around the world, so to speak and I have seen lovely things........and some terrible and horrible things, too.(My first career was law enforcement and I worked under cover in the most hideous and dangerous places). So, I have witnessed the extreme mankind has to offer. But nothing will compare(non-human)...nothing! to the time when I lose Bogie. I do not want to face that, but I know I must.

I will depend heavily on my Faith and this wonderful forum! I/we will see it...and I will beg for insight to help me get over the passing of such a loved and appreciated creature who God put here for us humans to enjoy. I will question things, too. But, I will get through it, just as sure as you will get over the passing of your loved one.

Man! These parrotlets really tug at our hearts, don't they?

David and Bogie;):rolleyes:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, story and the quote really appreciate it. I also found this which is helping me even if I may not be extremely religious, but any person can take away something from it, maybe you have come across this and re-reading it. Maybe you can share this also :

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you everyone for your support, I honestly never realized a forum like this existed again wishing I had found it before but I suppose it just was not meant to be. Thank you so much. I found this for all those who are struggling with their babies or have lost one, I've been re-reading it. I think whether a person is religious or not it is helpful :

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mona, I absolutely love that poem – I have never come across it before!

Do you know what I've often thought? These birds are like little aliens in so many ways. When they depart, it's like the end of E.T. – we're like Elliott watching the spaceship take off. It's so sad but what a beautiful adventure it was while they were here...And like Elliott, I bet none of us regretted that experience for a second, even when knowing it would one day have to end.

:)

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Hey Mona. I came in on this late but I'm sorry for your loss. Every time one of our little feathered buddies passes on, we blame ourselves. It sounds to me like you loved yours very much and only wanted the best for her. Don't beat yourself up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts