Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have a parrotlet; his name is Uncle Rico. He never moves, save for to eat or drink. He is not curious; he does not play.
I put him in a larger cage and he hated it. So I moved him back to his regular cage. Now he is terrified of me. I was making small progress (when I was teaching on Zoom in my home office); now that I am not home all the time, he is even more terrified of me. I'm sure that he is utterly convinced that I want to eat him.
I am thinking of rehoming him. I knew he would require time - I've had cockatiels and parakeets before; I just do not think I have enough time to dedicate to taming him.
Any suggestions or advice?
TIA,
Justine

·
Registered
7 Posts
He east and drinks. He has not lost weight. He is not "stressed" -- I don't know what a vet could do for him. He's not sick.
idk, do what you feel is best for you pet, if its rehoming him or trying harder to tame him, my parrotlets came a long way because i kept them and did a better job at taming them.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi everyone,
I have a parrotlet; his name is Uncle Rico. He never moves, save for to eat or drink. He is not curious; he does not play.
I put him in a larger cage and he hated it. So I moved him back to his regular cage. Now he is terrified of me. I was making small progress (when I was teaching on Zoom in my home office); now that I am not home all the time, he is even more terrified of me. I'm sure that he is utterly convinced that I want to eat him.
I am thinking of rehoming him. I knew he would require time - I've had cockatiels and parakeets before; I just do not think I have enough time to dedicate to taming him.
Any suggestions or advice?
TIA,
Justine
Hi Justine.

Perhaps a bit of extra info might help :) How long have you had Uncle Rico? Have you had them since they were a baby or did they have previous owners? Do you know how old they are? Did they come from a home with other birds? I see some of this in previous posts but would be good to add here too. I see now you got him from a pet shop after what you suspect is neglect? Is that right?

What type of toys do you have in the cage? Is there a variety? Are there chewing toys as well as other types? Some parrotlets like specific toys types and it takes some trial and error to find the right ones.

Have you tried playing some music, different genres to see if he likes it?

How did you know he hated the bigger cage, out of curiosity? Did he seem stressed or was he just confused by the change? How did you introduce the new cage? Do you leave the cage door open when you are home or only when you are attempting to interact? How is the bird when you are just sitting in the room with him, not interacting directly with him?

Have you visited the vet recently? You say you are not sure what a vet could do but I'm just curious if you've ever taken the bird to the vet.

You have experience with other birds so I'm just wondering. It may just be your parrotlet's personality or they haven't come out of their shell yet. My bird barely plays with toys unless he is out of the cage, they are specific balsa, paper, or yucca wood toys he likes, and he very occasionally chews the ones in the cage, but not much. He is still happy. Some birds are just more subdued.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
~~~Hello, Justine~~~ Uncle Rico is not showing you that he is in a normal situation in his life. By this time, he should be showing some form of bonding with you. He could be one of those p'letts who just needs a lot of time and training to get him in the groove to be more friendly.
What I have found in my life when a bird is not interested in anything or anyone, there is always something going on in its life to cause that bird to act this way. Since we do not know its complete background, we all could be just guessing on what's the problem. Here is what should happen first....

I know money may be tight, but your bird needs a complete wellness check by an avian vet, not a vet who sees mostly dogs and cats, but a real avian vet, if one is available. Then, do what the vet tells you to do.

Read what Aqueilo suggests. We need to know more about Uncle Rico.

Next...look at the diet. P'letts need a variety of foods. Fresh veggies chopped into small pieces. Broccoli florets
can be put in between the cage bars near a perch . Do this every day until he takes interest in eating it. Put a spray of millet in the cage at all times. Hang the spray on the side of the cage near a perch. Put it away from his food dish. Make him go to it. Give him nutraberries. Sometimes you have to chop it into smaller pieces. Sliced carrots. Real thin. Green peppers. Open the pepper up to where he can get to the seeds. Let him eat all he can.Give him unsalted popcorn. Put a handful into a bowl and let him eat all he wants. Hemp seeds. Feed these seeds through the bars where he is sitting on a perch. Put a seed in between your forefinger and thumb and offer it to him. If he is scared, just hold it still and see what happens.

Next...tell us this..Has your bird ever been treated badly? Is he around any other pets in your home? Does he get 11-12 hours covered sleep at night? Is your home noisy? Do you leave radio or TV on when your at work? He could be a nervous bird. Is his poo do's okay? Does he drink filtered water...or tap water?

What I am getting at is this....I know something is preventing him from being social or active. Whatever it is, it will take a lot of patience and time to help him bond with you. P'letts are usually very active .

Give us some more info and maybe we can come up with a solution to help you ans Uncle Rico.

David and VIcki

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
~~~Hello, Justine~~~ Uncle Rico is not showing you that he is in a normal situation in his life. By this time, he should be showing some form of bonding with you. He could be one of those p'letts who just needs a lot of time and training to get him in the groove to be more friendly.
What I have found in my life when a bird is not interested in anything or anyone, there is always something going on in its life to cause that bird to act this way. Since we do not know its complete background, we all could be just guessing on what's the problem. Here is what should happen first....

I know money may be tight, but your bird needs a complete wellness check by an avian vet, not a vet who sees mostly dogs and cats, but a real avian vet, if one is available. Then, do what the vet tells you to do.

Read what Aqueilo suggests. We need to know more about Uncle Rico.

Next...look at the diet. P'letts need a variety of foods. Fresh veggies chopped into small pieces. Broccoli florets
can be put in between the cage bars near a perch . Do this every day until he takes interest in eating it. Put a spray of millet in the cage at all times. Hang the spray on the side of the cage near a perch. Put it away from his food dish. Make him go to it. Give him nutraberries. Sometimes you have to chop it into smaller pieces. Sliced carrots. Real thin. Green peppers. Open the pepper up to where he can get to the seeds. Let him eat all he can.Give him unsalted popcorn. Put a handful into a bowl and let him eat all he wants. Hemp seeds. Feed these seeds through the bars where he is sitting on a perch. Put a seed in between your forefinger and thumb and offer it to him. If he is scared, just hold it still and see what happens.

Next...tell us this..Has your bird ever been treated badly? Is he around any other pets in your home? Does he get 11-12 hours covered sleep at night? Is your home noisy? Do you leave radio or TV on when your at work? He could be a nervous bird. Is his poo do's okay? Does he drink filtered water...or tap water?

What I am getting at is this....I know something is preventing him from being social or active. Whatever it is, it will take a lot of patience and time to help him bond with you. P'letts are usually very active .

Give us some more info and maybe we can come up with a solution to help you ans Uncle Rico.

David and VIcki

Hi all!
I knew Uncle Rico did not like his new cage because he changed when I put him in the new cage. He was jumpier when we would go near the cage (I had gotten to the point in his old cage where I could put my hand in his cage and scritch his neck). Now he is terrified of us - even me.
I only leave the cage door open when I am in the room with him (he's mostly in my office now as he jumps all over when we walk by). I do have a dog who is very quiet - never barks - and leaves UR alone.
When no one is near UR, he just sits in one spot and does nothing but breathe. Or eat or drink. He does not show ANY interest in millet (he did when we first brought him home) - or any other food for that matter. Not an ounce of curiosity.

I have not taken him to the vet. That is my next step. He looks great - his poop/pee is normal . . . he gets about 12 hours of covered cage time . . . the house is pretty quiet and very peaceful.
Today we made huge leaps because he didn't freak out when I changed his food and water bowls. I could tell he was ultra anxious (leaning back as far as he could on his swing) but he didn't move!
I am making an appointment with an aviary vet as soon as I finish this post.

Thank you all! I really appreciate your advice and insight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts