Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I haven't posted in a while, but I was reading a lot. My little bird is doing very well and we had a great Summer (pics to follow). I got DNA test done and it is a girl. Benny is 1 year old tomorrow! I am writing because I learned about a female parrotlet in need of a home. She is the same age, also very tame and prone to a nasal infection (reoccuring vet costs are the reason for rehoming, current owners sound very sad). I was told the nasal infection is not contagious, current owner had a second parrotlet who passed away, but this one didn't have the nasal infection. In short, this bird needs a home. I have two concerns: a) Benny getting this ? infection, b) jealousy. I am only one person and I don't know how either bird would take it when the other gets attention. Benny is spoiled with me working from home and after covid I will have 2-3 days/week in the office again. What would you do? Stick with my current very nice harmony at home or take on the second female (in a second cage)?

·
Super Moderator
4,833 Posts
The rule is if you get a second bird do it for yourself and not for the bird. So the big question is do you want an additional bird. You will definitely need separate cages at first if not on going. I have had two parrotlets at once twice in my life. First early on when Jules and Bo came to us as a pair. They got along and could be caged together. We had them both about a year before we lost Bo. Jules was with us for 7 years as a single bird and that was good too in a different way. As Jules got older and more sick we started thinking about the next bird after her more as a just talking thing. I was really looking at breeders and options. Turns out that Rio sort of dropped in our lap and we brought him home. We were very concerned in that Jules was definitely a dominate bird and very territorial. Turned out much better than we feared in that she stepped up and sort of mothered and taught him. They made a good pair and would have ended up as a good couple but unfortunately Jules time caught up with her. We kept them is separate side by side cages for sleep and alone time but they were out together with us most the day. That was about 6 months before we lost Jules.
The big thing is, are you are up to the extra effort and mess. The birds may or may not get along. My experience shows they do get along well as long as they have room to get away from each other when they need to. There maybe some jealousy and territorial issues but those can be managed. They are like small children and need to be managed like you would a child.

Personally I like both multiple birds and single bird situations but they are different. Single bird get you a bird that is much more attached to you since it has not other playmates. Double bird worked fine for us but I have heard the stories of the owner being cut out or the birds hurting each other but I have not ran into that.

Not sure I helped much with this but figured I would just toss my experience in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your long response. What do I want? Good question. I very much like having the bird with/ on me, especially in the evening. Lots of snuggles and head scritches. During the day she follows me, comes when called (well, if it suits her - haha). I like that she is friendly with every visitor, unless they show off their socks, socks have to be chased and bitten. Will have to get visitor house shoes. I actually like what I have right now.

·
Super Moderator
4,833 Posts
Thank you for your long response. What do I want? Good question. I very much like having the bird with/ on me, especially in the evening. Lots of snuggles and head scritches. During the day she follows me, comes when called (well, if it suits her - haha). I like that she is friendly with every visitor, unless they show off their socks, socks have to be chased and bitten. Will have to get visitor house shoes. I actually like what I have right now.
That sounds like your answer. Single parrotlets make great companions. Sounds that is what you are looking for and what you got. Why would you take a chance on messing that up? We joke a lot about MBS (Multiple Bird Syndrome) on here. We all go through bouts of it. Most of us bird people desire as many birds as possible at one time or another but truth is single birds are great and multiple birds can be a bit too much of a good thing, or maybe not, some people can make it work and love it. It really depends a lot on where you are in your life and the personalities of all involved, human and avian.

Reactions: Smitten

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Right! Benny once met a male parrotlet and she was not delighted to see another parrotlet. That should have told me something...no more looking. I better focus on what I already have. Thanks again It was super helpful to chat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts