Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,572 Posts
Rio did a bunch of bottom sleeping when I first got him. I think it is because as young birds they are still not that steady in perch / sleep mode. Or it might have been that he was missing a nest because he kept tearing up the floor covering. As he has gotten more sure footed he sleeps perched higher.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
When I got Sunshine he slept a lot, wanted to go to bed around 5:30 om and that was when I was wanting to try and play with him. As he got older he slept less and was more active during the day. /Around 7:30 he seems to settle down and I am allowed to give head scritches in his cage before I put him away for bed.

·
Super Moderator
5,046 Posts
For a while, Tumi would only sleep INSIDE a small fleece bag at the bottom of the cage (with me right there in the room). Each bird is different, but weird sleep preferences are definitely a thing. Tumi's weirdness about sleep is how I ended up on the forum in the first place, looking for help since he wouldn't settle unless I sat with him for about an hour. He now mostly sleeps like a normal bird, but often starts the night at the front of the cage clinging to the side to watch me. I think the thing that we learn over and over again is that each parrotlet is an individual, and it can be hard to make generalities for behavior. However, the avian vet check is always a good thing, especially for a behavior that could be illness.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts