Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
she was indeed hand fed. Which is why I am a bit confused as to why I am so scary, but I am a different person in a different place. If Phoebe (my bourke) didn't want to go back to her cage, all I had to do was walk into the washroom and she would follow me in there, then I could pick here up and take her to her cage...I miss her

·
Registered
856 Posts
Hand fed is when a baby bird is taken from the parents and hand fed by the breeder – they are not parent raised. It does not necessary mean that they are hand tamed. They probably will be tamer than parent-raised birds, but a birds tameness depends on how much extra time the breeder/handfeeder has spent handling and training the baby.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That makes sense, and it sounds like the store had them from unnested to one week weened on food...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks...the reassurance is much appreciated. So far I have been able to put a perch finger in front of her. She doesn't want to step up yet...but she isn't running so...that is good. She is also starting to get curious about me when I am eating in front of her...so that is good too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
ok....now I am a little concerned...she has been sleeping a lot. Even fell asleep on the floor of the cage a few times, beside her food dish. Is that normal baby behavior?

·
Super Moderator
5,048 Posts
Baby birds do sleep more than adult bird, but if it seems like too much, she also could be sick. Tumi got sick when he was young. Do you have an avian vet that you can take her to? If a bird is showing signs of illness, they are often very sick since they hide it normally.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
This is the first day she has been having lots of micro naps. We have one about an hour's drive away...I could give them a call tomorrow... I was just not sure if it is normal baby behaviour or if it is overstimulation, or just she didn't sleep enough last night. She has been sleeping on her high perches since she came home one week ago...so the fact that she was napping on the floor was a little worrying. She eats and drinks almost constantly...so that part is going well

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is the first day she has been having lots of micro naps. We have one about an hour's drive away...I could give them a call tomorrow... I was just not sure if it is normal baby behaviour or if it is overstimulation, or just she didn't sleep enough last night. She has been sleeping on her high perches since she came home one week ago...so the fact that she was napping on the floor was a little worrying. She eats and drinks almost constantly...so that part is going well
Do you cover her cage at night? As far as I'm aware they need approx 12 hours sleep at night time and to help them get this it's good to cover the cage with a blanket or sheet.
I cover mooncake up about 8pm when he's started to settle in to sleep mode. Babies do sleep lots and it's normal for them to nap in the day when it's quiet. Not sure about sleeping on the floor of her cage, keep an eye on her. Hope she's OK 😊

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Got a vet appointment for tomorrow. She was sleeping on a ladder today. Seems to be something new everyday. Her poops are a little watery though. Good colour, just a bit wet at times. I got a new filter for my water filter so, hopefully that helps. We haven't covered any of our birds. She was conked out the first few nights...you could walk around her and she didn't think anything of it. Last night she was up a lot for more food. There are only two of us here. So we aren't overly loud. and we dim her area when it is time to sleep. She seems fine with that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Got a vet appointment for tomorrow. She was sleeping on a ladder today. Seems to be something new everyday. Her poops are a little watery though. Good colour, just a bit wet at times. I got a new filter for my water filter so, hopefully that helps. We haven't covered any of our birds. She was conked out the first few nights...you could walk around her and she didn't think anything of it. Last night she was up a lot for more food. There are only two of us here. So we aren't overly loud. and we dim her area when it is time to sleep. She seems fine with that.
Bless her, hope all goes well at the vets tomorrow.

Mooncake's poop seem a bit different from my last parrotlet Brucie but I don't know if that's an age thing or not.

Let us know how she gets on at the vets 😊

·
Super Moderator
5,048 Posts
A vet appointment is always the best for a new bird anyway. And once you are their client and they have seen your bird, you can call them with questions like this in the future. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
4,572 Posts
Bless her, hope all goes well at the vets tomorrow.

Mooncake's poop seem a bit different from my last parrotlet Brucie but I don't know if that's an age thing or not.

Let us know how she gets on at the vets 😊
probably an age thing. I know Rios is a bunch different than Jules was

·
Registered
50 Posts
probably an age thing. I know Rios is a bunch different than Jules was
That's good to know, I've got him eating some veg as well as seeds. I'm really happy he's liking the veg.
He doesn't seem interested in pellets. He's had a nibble of a few but doesn't seem that impressed. I'll keep offering them to him as I have a bag full.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The vet said she looks good, I am starting to suspect she just spooked herself coming down from a high perch one day. She isn't completely sure-footed yet. She started her sleep in the middle of the cage last night and then moved down to the corner again, mid evening. He wants a stool sample anyway. So adventure at the vets for Maisie today...and $150 poorer for the adventure...but a worthwhile endeavour just the same.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The vet said she looks good, I am starting to suspect she just spooked herself coming down from a high perch one day. She isn't completely sure-footed yet. She started her sleep in the middle of the cage last night and then moved down to the corner again, mid evening. He wants a stool sample anyway. So adventure at the vets for Maisie today...and $150 poorer for the adventure...but a worthwhile endeavour just the same.
I'm so glad all was well at the vets. How was she getting her into a carrier to get her there?
Mooncake is still clumsy too.
Anyway, glad she's OK 😊

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
She was fine. The vet does want a poop sample too...so I need to do that...he basically said that it is normal baby behaviour. Which is what the store I got her at said as well. She is perching mid-cage now...

·
Registered
50 Posts
She was fine. The vet does want a poop sample too...so I need to do that...he basically said that it is normal baby behaviour. Which is what the store I got her at said as well. She is perching mid-cage now...
Just a tired little baby bird 😊

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
My friend has he brother. Apparently, he is not as sleepy...but he also has a different bird parent in a different space...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I have noticed a pattern with her the last few days...she has been sleeping midheight during the day and on the bottom at night. Which makes me believe she did spook herself coming down from a higher perch. She does still sleep A LOT...basically just sleeps and eats unless I have her out. But again, baby.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts