Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so we brought Maisie home on Thursday afternoon...so I am calling today Day 4. I have been making myself a presence at her cage. Trying not to bug her too much because she is just getting used to her new home. I have been putting my hand in her cage for about 10 mins at a time, a few times a day to get her used to me. I can get maybe 4 inches from her (coming up from under her) before she starts showing me that I am too close, either starting to lunge or moving away.

I just leave my hand in there til the 10 mins is up and leave it at that. Today I put my hand in the cage...she does play the eye game with me...and I indulge her with it as I know it is a trust thing....today she just tucked her head back and went to sleep. She woke up maybe an hour before...now she is snoozing again. Is this a baby thing? Is this an I am going to make like I am sleeping to make you go away thing? Am I overthinking this? Are 4 days still early enough to still be slow, or should I be making more of an attempt to get closer? I don't want to chase her around the cage, I feel that would be a set back. Any advice?

·
Registered
41 Posts
It sound like your doing good, maybe try offering a treat when you place your hand in the cage to show your hand is a friend not a foe.
How old is she? When I brought my girl home at 3 months I interacted with her from the start and let her out of the cage with some treats and veggies to see what she was interested in.

Also some other members with be here soon with more experience than I have, Boo is my first parrotlet. they are such amazing creatures to have around. Good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maisie was unnested around April 30 and hand-fed, she came home with me on May 27. I am not sure what the time is between hatching and being unnested though. I guess that makes her about 2 months old? She is eating pellets. I put a nugget of millet in her cage just yesterday so she could discover it is tasty. She wasn't sure about it beforehand. I probably could start using it in hand now that she knows what it is.

I guess that is what I am worried about. Am I going too slow. Some people have their parrotlets out right away. I want to make sure she knows to step up before we get outside of the cage much. The gal at the store was just like...grab her. I didn't want to grab her per say, but I was a little more assertive about it and got bitten.

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
Maisie was unnested around April 30 and hand-fed, she came home with me on May 27. I am not sure what the time is between hatching and being unnested though. I guess that makes her about 2 months old? She is eating pellets. I put a nugget of millet in her cage just yesterday so she could discover it is tasty. She wasn't sure about it beforehand. I probably could start using it in hand now that she knows what it is.

I guess that is what I am worried about. Am I going too slow. Some people have their parrotlets out right away. I want to make sure she knows to step up before we get outside of the cage much. The gal at the store was just like...grab her. I didn't want to grab her per say, but I was a little more assertive about it and got bitten.
Don't worry about what other people do. Every bird is its own creature. Every pairing has to find its own path. My first pair took months to handle. My new guy took 2 days. To a certain degree you are wooing your bird. Follow you instincts on how you would treat somebody you want to like you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I guess that is something that I have not acknowledged. Different birds will have different times. Just like human kids. I have had birds before, but I think reading about Parrotlets being a little extra, I am just a ball of nerves. I also need to relax a little. I know that in time, things will change. And it is extremely early days. I am just trying to do better than my best...if that makes sense.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Don't worry about what other people do. Every bird is its own creature. Every pairing has to find its own path. My first pair took months to handle. My new guy took 2 days. To a certain degree you are wooing your bird. Follow you instincts on how you would treat somebody you want to like you.
I agree and Im sorry if I came off wrong, Ozzie is right just like us human have different personalities so do out little fids. One thing I have learn from other is patience wins the game. Think about the story of the race between the turtle and the hair, the turtle won!

·
Registered
856 Posts
I think it is great that in just four days Maisie is allowing you to put your hand so close to her. It tells me that she is getting used to you – try offering her a sprig of millet the next time, eventually you should be able to move your hand up until she is eating off your hand or fingers. It just takes time. Try not to be nervous – you are doing good. I remember being nervous when I first got Cleopatra – I had never had a bird before, just dogs, cats, gerbils and fish, which did not help me much! Lol What I started doing is reading this forum and other sources and that helped me immensely to get over the worries that I may be doing something wrong. The more you learn the easier is becomes. This is all new to you so that is why you are nervous. The good news is that the nervousness will pass. Just remember that everything is on their time, not ours! I just bought some new white ceramic food bowls for Cleopatra’s veggies and fruit. I thought buying white bowls which are the color of the bowls she uses now would help her take to them right away. NOPE! She does not want to go near them. It may make take a day, a week or a month before she eats from one. That is life with a parrotlet! One thing that these birds teach us is patience! I put some sunflower seeds in a new bowl and placed the new bowl a comfortable distance from her. Hopefully, her love of sunflower seeds will speed things up a little. 😉 Just watch Maisie’s body language and respect it. If she is lunging at you and walking away that is her telling you she wants you to leave her alone. Most parrotlets will overcome their fear of hands, but the reality is that some parrots do not or instead may only want to be on your arm, shoulder or perhaps the back of your hand. As mentioned before, they are all different. Problems happen when people get too impatient and want results faster than these birds are willing to give them. Patience is key with these little guys. Remember it has just been four days, you have not had her long. Just enjoy her and let her get to know you. Sit next to her cage and read and sing to her. Let her know that you are her friend, and she has no reason to fear you. Everything else will come with time, patience and kindness. Underneath all their sass, they really are sensitive scared little souls. Enjoy your time with your new baby. They are so cute at this age. Post some more pictures please! If you have any other questions, just ask us, we will try and help you out. Oh, baby birds can sleep quite a lot because they are growing and developing, Your baby should be getting at least 12 hours every night. It is hard to tell you exactly how often they nap during the day, just that they will at different times.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate the encouragement. It sometimes feels hard to be patient. As I am getting older, it is getting easier to be patient.

I haven't taken a lot of pictures yet, but this is Maisie siting on her swing bridge...

·
Registered
856 Posts
Oh, I love your little green ball of fluff! She looks soooo sweet! 💗

Yeah, I know it is hard to be patient at times, but you will be fine. Just hang in there! 😉

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
Let's put this into perspective for a bit. Maisie, is a prey animal and knows it all the way down in her instincts. Almost everything on the planet wants to either eat her or casually hurt her from disregard. She has been taken from the only home she has ever known, her flock with parents and flockmates and thrust into a strange environment with people (creatures 100x bigger than her) with big toothy smiles putting these grabby things toward her. It is a bit much for a young parrotlet first time away from home to process. And processing / thinking / observing is what she is doing. Soon she will decide that you are not a giant parrotlet eating monster and warm up to you. As time goes she will love you as much as you already love her. It is just, if you are a 5 inch tall prey animal being skittish is a way of life and built into your genes. It is their intellect that lets them overcome that. Parrotlets are smart so she will make a decision and things will move forward.

BTW-love the pic. She is a cute little fluff ball. Understand why you are impatient for more interaction.

Reactions: Charlie

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This all really helps. I have read the words over and over...but variations and differing advice gets confusing, and of course, it is easy to be impatient. My last bird was a Rosy Bourke who was just a sweet little thing. But she was also 5 years old when she left us. So we had that bond...She always ran to mama. Maisie, is still learning. Some info says be there, others say leave them be. It is hard to keep up with all the advice. Time is really the big one. I want to let her out and give her a bath, but those things will come with trust. I do need to keep reminding myself that she will come around, and nothing needs to be rushed
Thanks for the words of encouragement and support

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've had my Mooncake for nearly a week. Progress is slow here too. I've been putting my hand in his cage with some millet. He is coming to eat from my hand and I've managed to get him to step up a few times but it's only because he's enjoying the millet. He isn't really interested in coming to me if I'm not offering any food. Keep going, you will get there. I'm having to tell myself the same thing. My first parrotlet Brucie was bonded to me and I can't really remember how I got there with him. I'm missing the kisses and the tickles I used to give him, Mooncake just isn't ready for that yet but I'm hoping that he will love it one day.
Good luck, keep us updated.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I think you are doing great. I always think of it as two steps forward one step back. I am on my second parrotlet and I can tell you that they are night and day. What I did with my first guy I am not doing with my second. Even when you make progress things change as they mature and hit puberty. My Sunshine is 9 months old and just went through a molt ( my former parrotlet was a plucker so that was a bit stressful for me to see so many feathers on cage bottom) and is in his terrible twos.

Sunshine was trained by me to step up in his cage at all times. Now when I put my hand in his cage he flutters about. I just wait him out and make sure that he does a step up before I remove my hand. I still can not take him out on my finger he hops off when we get near the door.

This weekend we spent some extra time sitting by his cage and he came out flew around and flew back to his cage. He was chirping like mad yesterday so sweetly he put me to sleep lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is nice to hear someone going through the process at the same time Charlie. Now I am wondering, should I be letting her out? I really wanted her stepping up before I start working on that...but perhaps that is not the way to go?

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
It is nice to hear someone going through the process at the same time Charlie. Now I am wondering, should I be letting her out? I really wanted her stepping up before I start working on that...but perhaps that is not the way to go?
You may want to try it and see how it goes. I have always had better luck with step up and other things outside the cage than in. A cage is home / nest and some birds tend to resource protect and be a bit aggressive in a cage. Just be sure to limit area you are training in. Be willing to towel her if necessary or my personal favorite is to dim the lights while training / putting back in cage. They tend to settle down in darkness, that is why many find evenings the best time to train. To be a bit calmer and more willing to accept affection.

Reactions: Charlie

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yep, you're definitely not alone in this. Letting her out is something you could try but she might not want to. Mooncake came out when I was trying to keep him on my hand but he spent all of the time climbing around the outside of his cage trying to work out how to get back in there. Was funny to watch. If she won't step up you might have to pick her up to get her back in. Just make sure you've given yourself plenty of time as it did take me nearly half an hour to coax him back to the door with the millet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
oh yea...I totally expect if I let her out, I will be chasing her around the living room. Something that worked with my bourke was to play music. Didn't matter what, or how badly...but I have a little ocarina...or my uke, or I now have a little kalimba...I am not sure it would work on Maisie but it would be worth a try.

I think leaving her in her cage is best...but I can maybe give her a bit of freedom to check out the doors...

·
Registered
46 Posts
oh yea...I totally expect if I let her out, I will be chasing her around the living room. Something that worked with my bourke was to play music. Didn't matter what, or how badly...but I have a little ocarina...or my uke, or I now have a little kalimba...I am not sure it would work on Maisie but it would be worth a try.

I think leaving her in her cage is best...but I can maybe give her a bit of freedom to check out the doors...
It's worth a try, see how she goes. You never know she might love it. Good luck.

·
Registered
856 Posts
If you must chase your scared bird around its cage to get it to come out and then you have to chase them around the room to get them back in their cage, your bird will associate you with being very scared. That is going to hurt your relationship in the long run. You will make faster progress if you show them that you respect them when they tell you to go away and that they do not have to be scared when you are around. If a new bird is hand tamed, is used to interacting with humans, is sociable and comfortable with their environment, then of course, you can let them out within a day or so. With a scared or skittish bird, they need a week or two. Maisie has made very good progress. Some people would be ecstatic if their untamed bird was at the point she is now.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts