Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have been holding kiwi, and when she flapped her wings earlier i could see that she had an area with an enlarged looking follicle, and a lot of pin feathers. When i got a closer look, there was no down except for down pin feathers, and the skin was darkened and tinged grey. I am super worried. I got a pic on my roomates cam, but i can't upload it til tomorrow. I noticed after all the vets were closed. Does anyone know what it could be and how serious it is? You can't see it unless the couple of big top feathers are shifted away from that area of skin, so i don't know when it could have appeared. I am worried that it is really serious...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had class from 8-12, and while i was gone, i decided to try to wash the area. When i got home i lifted her wing put a few good squirts under, and then had some q-tips that i rubbed gently over the exposed skin. While i was cleaning i could see that the skin itself wasn't black, but all of the feathers where blood feathers that looked black on the ends closest to her skin. the lighting wasn't as good yesterday, so it could have been shadows. I also couldn't find the follicle that had looked irritated yesterday. but i did see one that had a tiny blood feather just growing in. My guess is bad lighting and possible uncleanliness under her wings that made it look so scary last night. I guess i ened to make under the wings is a target of the bath spray bottle in the future....
Oh but with all of this she got way more okay with me handling her wings. still not complete trust with that, but she doesn't immediately jerk her wing away from me...

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Well that's a step and I'm glad you realized this. I didn't have any help to offer hence the lack of response but at least you figured something out.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I can't believe this was looked over , sorry, I didn't see it till now. Sound like some blood was ozzing out. I am not sure that is good or not. Hope someone else has had this experience and answers this. I am glad it wasn't as bad as you thought.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am so glad that kiwi is okay :)

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I am glad she is okay too. Theses little ones and sure put a scare into us.

·
Registered
612 Posts
No advise, but I am sorry this post got lost in cyberspace. Some one needs help and encouragement and none answer is not typical on this forum. I am certainly glad Kiwi is OK.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts