Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently traveled by car from California to Minnesota with my 2 parrotlets. It was a 4 day trip over 2000 miles. Obviously my little carrier was not going to do it, so I started to look for carriers. I didn't want my little guys bouncing around in a wire cage. I wanted them to be safe, plus have the room & comfort to move about while driving & at the hotels at night. I ended up making my own carrier. It worked great and my birds were safe & happy at the end of the trip. I thought I would post a few pics incase anyone was interested in making their own.:)

Materials:
1 small cat carrier ($30.00)
2 treat cups (.99/dish)
2 wooden dowels (.99/dowel)
4 screws
4 small zip ties

How To:
Measure the width of the interior & cut 2 pieces of dowl. These I screwed into the bottom half of the interior with small screws from the outside, making sure they were far enough apart to fit my dishes in between them. I then attached the dishes between these "perches". Using another piece of dowel, I used 2 small zip ties to attach the third "perch" to run in front of the dishes & bridge the first 2 perches. I then took a small piece of dowel & ran it threw 2 holes in the carrier in the back (to run diagonally in a corner) , so that the birds would have a slightly higher perch if they wanted it. I used 2 small zip ties to secure it. I then made sure all zip ties used were very tight & cut off any loose "tails" of plastic.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Nice! - Great idea!

What is the bar spacing in the door? - it looks bigger than 1/2 an inch.

Regards,

Art S.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts