Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it sounds strange, but can they cuddle too much. My little guy (Baby Blue) has only been with me for 4 days now and he was already finger trained from the pet store. He doesn't seem to play with his toys and I got him a play gym and he never wants to be on it. All he does it climb his way up to the back of my neck and hide in my hair (which is a problem because I can't get him out of there!). WHen I put my hair up he still just sits there are trys to climb in the top of my head! He is only about 3 months old and is used to being with other parrotlets. I just don't know if this is normal behaviour or if I'm doing something wrong. I'm gone to work during the day and I worry about him not playing with toys and getting frustrated when I'm gone.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I remember when we first got Sam he used to do the same thing. He'd run into people's hair. We just tried to keep him below our shoulders. Eventually, he might learn that he's not allowed to go on your shoulders if you take him down every time he climbs up there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know it sounds strange, but can they cuddle too much. My little guy (Baby Blue) has only been with me for 4 days now and he was already finger trained from the pet store. He doesn't seem to play with his toys and I got him a play gym and he never wants to be on it. All he does it climb his way up to the back of my neck and hide in my hair (which is a problem because I can't get him out of there!). WHen I put my hair up he still just sits there are trys to climb in the top of my head! He is only about 3 months old and is used to being with other parrotlets. I just don't know if this is normal behaviour or if I'm doing something wrong. I'm gone to work during the day and I worry about him not playing with toys and getting frustrated when I'm gone.

Emmi was almost exactly like that when I brought her home. All she wanted to do was curl up on my shoulder and be in my hair. She was scared of -everything- and wouldn't play with any of her toys.

It took a few weeks, but she slowly loosened up a bit. Now I'm LUCKY if she spends two minutes on my shoulder. Instead, she's all over me and my desk.. looking for things to chew on.

Give him time. He'll come out of his scared phase and you'll be missing the little feather ball under your neck real soon.

...cause he'll be chewing on your fingers instead. ;)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Someone just raised this issue recently, so I found this old thread - we should put together a list of common traits of parrotlets.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah it was me :) Cloud practically lives in my hair. Hes a new baby too and im not home during the day. So it sounds like its very common. I recently have been tieing up my hair when Im training (as recommended by someone here *thanks!*) and it seems to work. He climbs up there and finds nothing to hide under so i can pull him back to training much easier.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Kismet as well was a mega-cuddler when I first brought him home.

I bought him a play area 2 months ago and was dashed when he wouldn't play with it! I would take his cage out of the room, put up my hair, load it with treats, and sit by his play area and chat with him every day until he became comfortable. It took about a solid week and now I can hardly get him off! His play area is a great tool in getting him to try new things now.

Just be patient :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts