Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got Rio back in October. He came with clipped wings. He is now about 9 months old and the feathers still look rough but also they seem rather long a criss-cross on his back. Jules and Bo's flight feather did not do this. Does anybody else parrotlet have criss-cross feathers? I hope they grow out soon. I also hope he is not mutilating them when I am not watching......

·
Registered
58 Posts
Tofu's clipped feathers did this when they were growing back too! I'm not sure why this happens (I'd be really interested to know if anyone does know why?). Her's eventually corrected themselves somewhat when the new ones came back in, but they still cross a little. She hasn't had any issues with it and our avian vet told us she was fine? I have heard in some parrots this is a, 'fault,' and can cause certain issues but Tofu flies around perfectly and the vet said she was all good!

·
Super Moderator
5,053 Posts
When Tumi has flight feathers, they do cross in the back although a bit lower than Rio's. My cockatiel's flight feathers also always crossed in the back. But the fuzziness is weird looking to me. Unfortunately, Tumi just got clipped in preparation for summer travels so I can't attach a picture of what his flight feathers look like.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Monty's flight feathers cross over like that. They are not as raggedy though, but I think that may be because they are just growing in?

·
Super Moderator
5,053 Posts
That's what Tumi's looked like as well! But even when they are growing in, he never has his flight feathers look like that. Does he preen properly and frequently? I would guess under preening rather than over preening, or something genetic/nutritional. But those are guesses.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have seen cockatoos with flight feathers growing in that look a bit like the picture (I'm thinking Snowee the cockatoo specifically).

·
Super Moderator
4,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He does not seem to be mutilating that I can tell. I am wondering if it is the style of the original cut that is causing them to grow like they are.
The criss cross is interesting. neither Jules or Bo had anything like that.

·
Registered
402 Posts
He does not seem to be mutilating that I can tell. I am wondering if it is the style of the original cut that is causing them to grow like they are.
The criss cross is interesting. neither Jules or Bo had anything like that.
That might be the case - montys feathers were cut too short when he was a baby so perhaps his wings had more room to rest further back. 🤔 it doesn't seem to impede him at all though.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Sunshine just blessed me with some out of the cage time and did a couple of laps around room. He is now sitting facing away from me and his wings are crossed in the back. They are smooth feathers though.

·
Super Moderator
6,615 Posts
Interesting, it does seem a bit more exaggerated than normal
Ozzie this is what Lilly flight feathers looked like that concerned before she started plucking.ayne it will molt out, my best determination was that it's genetic but that's still just a guess. He could be chewing them also kinds looks like that too

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Bogie's tail feathers looked a lot like the condition of Rio's feather tips. Then vet asked me if Bogie was chewing them and I said no. We couldn't figure it out until one night, I discovered what caused the messy tips. When Bogie went night night, he slept on the highest perch and stuck his tail feathers between the cage bars for balance when he slept. I saw the feathers sticking out of the cage one night. Maybe Rio is propping himself against something. His feathers look just like Bogie's feathers did.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
4,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bogie's tail feathers looked a lot like the condition of Rio's feather tips. Then vet asked me if Bogie was chewing them and I said no. We couldn't figure it out until one night, I discovered what caused the messy tips. When Bogie went night night, he slept on the highest perch and stuck his tail feathers between the cage bars for balance when he slept. I saw the feathers sticking out of the cage one night. Maybe Rio is propping himself against something. His feathers look just like Bogie's feathers did.

Dave
could be then it will fix itself. I changed his cage around and his sleeping perch changed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts