Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My husband and I don't have children and we're middle-aged now. My bird man is 13 and he's been spoiled almost every minute of these years with us. I think my husband and I are a little crazy when it comes to him. Here are a few things we do:

1. We make huge batches of organic bird mash that we package and freeze in individual size portions. It takes us over 2 hours every time we do it. We maybe do it every 6 months or so. We also make and package a veggie, bean, pasta mix. Every morning he eats with us. I microwave his mash or veggie/pasta food and he has a little white dish with the warm mix and water. He eats next to my husband's place on the dining room table. This is called "breakfast #1". Then we feed him his regular pellet, seed, greens, hot pepper flakes, dried cranberry "breakfast #2"

2. Very crazy: My husband found a way of using an old cell phone as a surveillance camera which he positions to face my bird's favorite perch. At work he can make it so he sees my bird in his cage using his current cell phone. I can see him remotely flash the light for a better view. Sometimes I jump into the scene with my bird. I work from home and spend all day in the room with my bird.

3. Maybe not too crazy: My husband and I have worked very hard to "potty train" our little man. We have all sorts of things we say to try to get him to do his duty. We're as bad as dog owners staring to see when their pup does his thing. We have white tissues all over the place which is the bull's eye. Bird man associates white with his potty.

4. Bird man loves meat. He especially loves to eat salmon. We read it is fine for them in small amounts.

5. Somehow, some way we really did manage to balance that Santa cap on our man's head for the picture below. It's not Photoshopped.

Do you have anything crazy you do for or with your little parrotlet(s)?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I don't think you're crazy at all. but maybe I"m not the best judge of character when it comes to crazy and birds. :) I mean, we buy pizza from Azuki's favorite pizza place because he likes their crust better than my favorite pizza place sooo.... yeah. :)

·
Premium Member
12,210 Posts
Ummm yeah as crazy as the rest of us. I also only buy pizza in one store because they prefer the crust there and I make meatballs a specific way so that they can eat them even though I prefer them differently. sigh:D

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
You all are definitely crazy bird people...I might be the only sane one here! :D

That said, I actually schedule things around Sky's time, passionately guarding my time with her each day, unless of course the events of life make it impossible. I prepare fresh foods for her daily, dicing it tiny just the way she likes it. I let her sleep in, uncovering her only when she is ready...and the list goes on. I'm a faithful and loyal slave to my little princess, totally wrapped around her little toe...what can I say?
;)

·
Registered
235 Posts
LOL these are great!! As you can see, your brand of "craziness" is in good company here on talkparrotlets hahaha!

I found out that Milly loves travelling and exploring new sights--something I hope she never grows out of. And so, my husband and I take Milly adventuring with us! She's been on top of mountains, and on sandy white oceans beaches, in canopies, and canyons, and forests..! Adventures that most folks in the western world pay thousands of dollars to fly over and experience! We stop at restaurants where my husband and I usually order salads or veggie dishes, and we all share.
She loves it all. I love it when we come home at the end of a long adventure, and she gets all poofy, tucks in a foot, and sings quiet little songs to herself for a solid hour+ thereafter. For the rest of the day, she's extra cuddlesome.

I'm not middle aged yet, but like you guys, I don't have (nor will ever have...if all goes as planned...) children. As such, my time is dedicated to improving Milly's quality of life a little more every day!

If it's crazy, do any of us really wanna be sane? :p

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Yep , ya'll sound like "crazy bird people" ! :D We plan on going to the Reptile Show tomorrow after we ; uncover Paco and Taco and Quinn , give them all their separate bath bowls , change their drinking water , give them all new and separate fresh food , and fresh and separate seed/pellet mixture . this will all be done with Quinn on hubby's shoulder and Paco and Taco running all over , in and out of their cages . :eek: While this is happening we cant forget Speedy , we turn off his CHE and turn on his UV bulb which needs to be on for 12 hours a day . While his tank is warming up he needs to be soaked in warm water for one hour so his shell doesn't pyramid .
Let us not forget Buddy our Min Pin who needs to be fed and walked , did I say I need to check the calendar to see if he gets his fish oil pill today so his coat stays nice and shiny .
Of course they will all suffer because we might get home too late to give them their "outside time" !
But it will all be worth it if we come home with another critter to take care of ! LOL :eek:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yep , ya'll sound like "crazy bird people" ! :D We plan on going to the Reptile Show tomorrow after we ; uncover Paco and Taco and Quinn , give them all their separate bath bowls , change their drinking water , give them all new and separate fresh food , and fresh and separate seed/pellet mixture . this will all be done with Quinn on hubby's shoulder and Paco and Taco running all over , in and out of their cages . :eek: While this is happening we cant forget Speedy , we turn off his CHE and turn on his UV bulb which needs to be on for 12 hours a day . While his tank is warming up he needs to be soaked in warm water for one hour so his shell doesn't pyramid .
Let us not forget Buddy our Min Pin who needs to be fed and walked , did I say I need to check the calendar to see if he gets his fish oil pill today so his coat stays nice and shiny .
Of course they will all suffer because we might get home too late to give them their "outside time" !
But it will all be worth it if we come home with another critter to take care of ! LOL :eek:
You sound like me in the mornings! Whenever I schedule appointments I always aim for afternoon because mornings at my house are crazy. I met with an admissions advisor for a vet tech program today and she originally wanted the meeting at 10 (the drive is about 45mins) and I told her the earliest I could do it 11 because of my animals. It wasn't until she met me face to face and we were talking did she realize WHY I needed a later appointment lol!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts