Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just got the acrylic playgym from kingscages and have started gearing away from parrotlets (no I will not give you my adress for Tp ing) and more towards green cheek conures. Will that playgym be too small. Off-subject, but is full spectrum lighting really necessary? Also, I went to a bird farm today and they said the HQ flight cage was much too large for a baby bird. What did everyone else do? Do you convert it into a smaller cage or buy a new one? Opinions plz. Thanks and sorry for all the Q's... i'm a bird newbie.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
A green cheek is a small bird so that gym should be fine. I had Sadie in a smaller cage when I first got her and it is her sleep cage now. But if you use the HQ right away you can put the perches and food dishes quite low in the cage to start. You can also put towels on the grates if you are afraid of falls but with lower perches the young bird should be fine. As a novice bird owner, your baby should be 10 to 12 weeks old and eating well on its own before you bring him home.

Here is a web site about gcc's. They are adorable little birds.

https://www.birdsupplies.com/Articles.asp?ID=253

I was considering one but thought that another p'let would be better for Sadie. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding. A couple other things.. How long will the bird have to be in the smaller cage (I think I'll just buy one instead of converting my flight)? Also, what is the purpose of full spectrum lighting and sleep cages, are they necessary?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Hi, I have that playgym for my parrotlets, but my sun conure enjoys it too. I just have to closely supervise her because she could get stuck between the ladder rungs as she tries to go through. She's larger than a GCC though. I have a different HQ cage for my sun conure than the HQ Flight. I have the HQ Flight for my 2 parrotlets and it's perfect for them. My sun's cage has a built in seed skirt which is NICE. If your GCC conure will spend a lot of time in the cage, I'd go with the HQ Flight cage and do things like low perches, towels on the bottom, etc, or possibly use a smaller cage at first if you have one.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I like to use a sleep cage as Sadie sleeps in my room and I can cover it to insure she gets her 12 hours of sleep. Her big cage is in the living room so she would not get much rest there. I live in an apartment so have to make the best use of my space as I can. The females especially need to have their 12 hours of sleep (in the dark) to keep them from becoming hormonal and nesty.

Birds make vitamin D3 in their skin the same as humans do, so giving them a full spectrum light in the winter or natural sun in the summer helps them produce it naturally. Vitamin D3 helps in the utilization of calcium I believe.

Here is an article on how calcium, phosphorous, vitamin D3 are interrelated.

http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww22eii.htm

·
Registered
235 Posts
Cage: I would suggest you think about a cage my conure will have once I set it up next week. www.kingscages.com Model: ELF -3221 1/2 spacing, 32 W, 21 D, 61 " High, Inside Height 34" , Top opens so you can insert a perch they can play on. Or ELT4 2620, 1/2 spacing, 26w , 20 D, 64 High, Inside Height 36". Top opens on this one as well with the perch so they can walk & play when top is open.

I like being able to open the top so I can insert a perch into so they can have somewhere else to play. I don't know the the HQ cages have this.

For me : Angel (Conure) will have the ELF - 3221 and my Parrotlet will have the ELT4-2620.

Sleep Cages: I don't use them.

For height in the flight cage my conure has now: I place ulta soft washcloths on top of one another , I'd stack 3 on top of one another to start , then beside it I'd do 5 or 6 depending on the thickness of it , place the larger stack beside the small stack, then so on until I would get the height I needed for them to reach the lower level perch.

To avoid being afraid in the flight cage: I always have a nigh light on at all times during the night for each one .

* Main difference between cages : (ELF-3221 is a little longer w a width of 32 BUT, the ELT4-2620 is a little taller 64 " high)

HQ flight cages are nice as well, a lot of individuals have them here they've done an excellent job with them based on the pictures some have shared in the cage section. Kristen has done an excellent job at proving her littleones a happy place to live.

Gyms: Have not found anything either one will play with. I've ordered the K 299 gym from kingscages.com. (colorful w/ two levels) . It'll come in Jan. I think I might not take a chance : So my conure wouldn't use it due it looks as if she can fit between the bars. I'm not take a chance on her getting stuck. I'm just not sure if that's a good one for her. IT appears Kristen might have the same one I've ordered from her snapshot.

Hope that helps a little .

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
To avoid being afraid in the flight cage: I always have a nigh light on at all times during the night for each one .

I don't know about conures but my guys need complete dark or they will not sleep through the night--- then they are cranky and irritable

have you ever heard them having night terrors or any such problem?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Although the top opening is cool looking, one of the Bird suppliers here in town refuses to stock that sort of cage as they can present a danger if a bird tries to escape. Click here to view Most likely parrotlets are too small to try but I thought I would mention it as something to keep in mind. :)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
My sun conure has an EZ Care Playgym, a net, and big boing, and her favorite playgrounds - US. :) She's outside of her cage a lot of the times.. I don't have sleep cages for my birds either, though my sun conure seems to consider her cage as a sleep cage b/c she won't poop in it EVER. This presents a bit of a problem for times I need to be out for an extended period of time. I LOVE the playgym. I've seen them for sale online at Foster & Smith, but I bought mine locally at the bird store. It's where she eats, plays, etc. It's VERY easy to clean, and there are so many things you can do with it in terms of draping nets, toys, large branches, etc.

Full spectrum lighting in my opinion is necessary if you cannot get your birds outside daily. If you live somewhere where you have a cold winter, FSL is good for your birds. My birds LOVE them. I use the featherbrite lights, but have heard the Ott bulbs are also very good. Also, Aviantech (sp?) sells a bunch of lights and fixtures that are very inexpensive. The clip on lamp is nice. My birds have very bright feathers and colors, and all seem to want to be near their light at different times of the day. It's essential for vitamin D and calcium absorption for a healthy skeletal system, and also helps with behavioral problems (such has plucking) in some birds.

·
Registered
235 Posts
My conure doesn't have any problems with her night light. I can control the level of brightness with her light. She doesn't have a bright light such as you would have during the day with a light switch. I like her to have a softly lighted glow so she can still see if she wants to .

She gets in her happy hut and goes right to sleep until I wake her up in the morning. I often get back up out of bed around 12 1, 2 am or so.... When checking on her, I've found she's sleeping soundly. I've been doing this since the first day I got her and haven't had any problems while using the night light. My vet recommended it to me. This works fine for us.

My problems have happened when I didn't use it. She has night fright. Conure's can be in danger of hurting themsleves if they have night flight.

Baby , my parrotlet, can see the light from one of my smaller aquariums, she is doing fine with it. Sleeps just fine through the night. If she didn't it wouldn't be in the same room with her.

Trice

·
Registered
626 Posts
No, they don't need a sleep cage. But you might want to either get a harness or a carrier type cage to use outdoors on nice days. That's regarding the other question, they don't need special lighting if they are fed healthy foods like dark greens such as brocolli, etc. You can take them out in the sun once or twice a week for 10 min-1/2hr in good weather too. But if you use a cage outside, make sure you have some shade they can go in if they've had enough sun.
I've read fs lighting starts degrading immediately, so after X many hours they don't provide the necessary vitamins anyway.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
With a proper flight harness, you can take your bird outside. Even a P'let. They do have harnesses small enough for them.

In regards to being social, I'd have to say that yes, P'lets can be very social. Jack, my normal green male, loves spending time with me. He gives kisses, preens my hair, snuggles under the blankets with me, and even tries to mimic some of my words. The other day I was laying on the couch, and he was on his playgym which was on a stand at the end of the couch. He started chirping like crazy, showing obvious signs he wanted to be with me. I laughed and told him to come to me, and sure enough he jumped down on the couch and came running. He begged for scritches, got them, then ran back to his playstand. A few minutes later he returned and buried himself in my hair and began preening me. it was too cute! lol!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts