Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I grew up with budgies and was considering getting one for myself, but I discovered the lovely parrotlet at the bird store. :D I've read a lot online and got myself a book, but I'm hoping you all can help me determine if a parrotlet will be happy with me. I guess the question is: "easier" budgie or more spirited parrotlet?

I'm a full-time student, so I spend the day in class and the evenings in my room, where I would keep my new friend. I could dedicate an hour or so a day to actually playing, then three or four hours a day visiting while I study.

I live in a duplex with seven other people, so the bird may not be able to be housed in a public high-traffic area (contingent on if my very sweet housemates grow to like a bird around). All these people also means I need a quieter companion, which is a downside to a budgie.

I'm a little nervous personality-wise too. It sounds like some parrotlets are very sweet and cuddly, while others just want to bite. How would I know what I'm getting and encourage good behavior?

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hello! I grew up with budgies and was considering getting one for myself, but I discovered the lovely parrotlet at the bird store. :D I've read a lot online and got myself a book, but I'm hoping you all can help me determine if a parrotlet will be happy with me. I guess the question is: "easier" budgie or more spirited parrotlet?

I'm a full-time student, so I spend the day in class and the evenings in my room, where I would keep my new friend. I could dedicate an hour or so a day to actually playing, then three or four hours a day visiting while I study.

I live in a duplex with seven other people, so the bird may not be able to be housed in a public high-traffic area (contingent on if my very sweet housemates grow to like a bird around). All these people also means I need a quieter companion, which is a downside to a budgie.

I'm a little nervous personality-wise too. It sounds like some parrotlets are very sweet and cuddly, while others just want to bite. How would I know what I'm getting and encourage good behavior?

Thanks in advance! :)
Hi friend! Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to piggy back both my answer to your other forum post into this one.

Often you read about how quiet parrotlets are in comparison to other birds - they are quiet in comparison to larger birds but I will warn you they can still be LOUD. Monty can really screech if he wants to - aka when he wants OUT of the cage and feels like he's being ignored in the other room. Or when I go to the bathroom.

David Miller will have some great insights on budgies vs. parrotlets too but I had a budgie when I was younger and as much as I loved Crumpet, he was not as playful, active, or interested in me as Monty is. Which is a good and bad thing... Monty requires supervision or he eats everything. Crumpet preferred his cage and to just watch what was going on, and sit on me to eat apple and lettuce out of my hands. He was affectionate (could say hello and would get excited to see you) but in a totally different way. I find the parrotlet much more... amusing? I guess? Monty doesn't bite much but I don't know if that unusual... but when he wants to bite he bites HARD. Budgies do not nearly bite as hard as parrotlets. Also I found Monty picked up tricks and Crumpet never was interested. Monty has learnt to "come here" which is a great trick and very useful.

I also work full time and spend about 4 hours a day with my bird and on weekends a little more. I'm lucky I have that time to dedicate to him, and my partner also is home sometimes when I'm not and spends time with him. So I think you will have enough time with your bird but I think your bird is going to want out even when you are studying, which will be a distraction.

You also have to keep in mind that in a household of 7, getting people to respect wishes around a bird is tough. I lived with 4 other girls at university a few years ago and would not have gotten a bird as there was no way I could have regulated cooking time so the bird wasn't out, or any of that. I would have worried about them burning things (as they were not the best cooks), or using non stick pans etc. If you spend most time in your room and close the door when you are there for safety then I think it'd be fine. Just replace your pan set. :D

Do you think as a student your lifestyle is conducive to having a pet bird? They require a lot of regular routines (especially feisty ones like parrotlets), or they get nippy and grumpy. Monty started getting naughty over Christmas as his routine got shaken up. When I was a student I went out a lot, and even now I have trouble making sure I'm always home on time everyday to put the bird to bed every night at 9, as I am still fairly busy. I (personally) made the decision to wait as well as I moved a lot as a student (went to school out of town from my parents) and was going home for breaks/weekends/having people over etc. Also, as a student I was poor AF. Vet bills cost a lot. Perhaps some food for thought. Not trying to discourage you! If you feel like your lifestyle is suitable then go for it. :)

In terms of personality, I'm a sucker for the shy little guys. Even then, once they come out of their shell they can be totally different. But, if you feel like a bird seems to have a bond to you right away then I would go with that. Sometimes the bird chooses you :)

Some are sweeter and cuddlier, and some are sweet and cuddly and then grow out of it a little bit. My birdie is a bit of both - he wants to cuddle in my hair at night but doesn't like being cupped in hands, but during the day he's a little active devil bird and will sit on you and take scritches but spends most of his time doing his wave trick hoping he'll get food out of it or chewing apart yucca wood chips. I think it's hard to immediately tell the personality of an adult bird from 1. a baby bird 2. in a pet store and 3. if they need a little warming up to you. And all birds are different!

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. The people on this forum are great,

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Glad that you are doing research on parrotlets versus a budgie. I grew up having a budgie (serval over a lot of years). When I moved out on my own, I knew that I wanted an upgrade but still a small bird. I did research (like you) and came across parrotlets. Aquielo raised some good points about whether you have ample time and a lifestyle suitable for a parrotlet. You definitely want to be cautious as mentioned as to whether your roommates burn food and pans, and whether they use nonstick cookware (they shouldn’t be by the way). Parrotlets also have a longer lifespan than budgies where they can live up to 20 years. Are you prepared for this and dedicated to giving a fantastic life for your birdie friend for that long?

As mentioned, the personalities of each parrotlet really do differ. Some are Velcro birds and some really are more hands off. I work full time and spend each evening after work with my male parrolet named Rio. He is out and enjoy staying on me. Definitely keep researching and hopefully others will chime in too.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Hi!
You have the same problems that a lot of young students have and this is... Time...friends all over the place...dedication to a single parrotlet...noise factor from the p'lett and room-mates...the 11-12 hour dark period...what to do if your p'lett is a difficult parrotlet..temperature in your room...other potential PETS OF ROOM-MATES to which you have no control...and the terrible two's you will go through in about 4-6 months with a p'lett.

In my 65 years on this earth, I have raised parakeets(budgies) almost every year since I was 15 years old. I had personalities (birdinalities) of these budgies that ranged from quiet to loud, extremely intelligent to not to intelligent, extreme talkers to non talkers, etc.

I retired from law enforcement as a first career and ended up teaching at the local University (UCF) then High school. My teaching years in college were wonderful. I worked with young people teaching English Composition I and II, Creative Writing, etc. The reason I am telling you all this is to say that a lot of my students wanted to have and had pets while living away from home.

The ones living away from home had the most problems, by far, with owning and caring for pets, ranging from hamsters to rats to dogs and cats, to birds of all kinds. Most have up their pets to a good home. You may be the exception. You may not.

You are carrying a full boat. What I can tell about you is that you care a lot about things. What bothers me a little bit is the 7 people around you. This means 7 personalities all under stress. Your lives will intertwine.

P'letts are noisy, like a loud chatter, sometimes an almost screaming sound, but not like the larger parrot. P'lets are demanding and need a lot more care than a budgie. The food differences are huge. Fresh veggies daily are preferred. Budgie foods are more simpler. Occasional fried egg and baked chicken breast should be given to your p'lett. Remember, you are dealing with a true parrot, a small hook bill, a dwarf parrot, if you will. Avian vet exams are more costly and needed.

A proper sized cage is needed and it is not a small cage. P'letts need to fly around inside a cage a little bit, and out of the cage, too. They need a constant change of toys. They need proper lighting and heating and cooling and humidity. If you are sick with a cold, then stay away from your bird. Loud, erupting noises bother a p'lett and can frighten them to death or make them lose their feathers. You need to bond with each other and you need to teach him to 'step up ' first thing! You need to get bitten a lot and hard! You may have a difficult bird and then you will need to write us daily for advice. It may take a year before he accepts you. Most likely not, but p'letts are temperamental. If you have a difficult bird, you will worry so much, that it will affect your grades and enjoyment. We have had several forum members write to us while in college and they were having a hard time with their p'lett.

Now, I am just giving you a picture of the bird world. It is my opinion only. It is what I know.

If I were you, and you are the type of person who is very involved with your studies in college, I would go for the easier avian choice and this would be the budgie. A male budgie who you can spend a little time with, before you buy one. In stores, any bird you get is a big chance. Through a breeder, you get a much better and healthier bird and you know the true age and genetic line.

I have only had two parrotlets (during the last ten years) and 40 plus years around budgies. My Bogie passed away a few months ago and he was well known all over the earth. My Ricochet is another p'lett and he is extremely smart and needs my attention throughout the day. He is wearing me out! Out of all the birds I have had, I like the p'lett the most. But, I know about both species and college life and if I was a student, I would get a budgie and after I graduated and got settled a little bit in my career, I would opt to buy a parrotlet and have both birds at the same time.

It is all up to you. Take some time to really think this out. Budgies are easier to have, overall. Plus, you must be fair to the bird you get.
I just threw out some ideas for you.

Keep in touch with us.

David and Ricochet ( Ricco):cool:;)

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
I managed to have parrotlets during my time in college. And Linearis is in college right now and is making it work with Ari. It is definitely doable. Their cage should definitely be in your room though. I would not trust your housemates. Birds like to be included but the constant activity of 7 people plus friends would be too much to handle every day. Plus their lungs are very sensitive. Candles, chemical cleaners, burnt food, etc. from your housemates would harm your bird. Definitely keep them in your room. I've always kept Milo and Luka's cages in my bedroom.

But your little one would need at least 2 hours out of the cage every day. Parrotlets are demanding pets. They can entertain themselves well, but they stil need interaction. If he could hang out on your bed with you or on top of the cage while you are studying, that would be fine. A small tabletop playstand would be great to have and are cheap. It gives them a fun space to hang out on away from their cage.

Milo is not a velcro bird and was happy to play on his playstand while I sat near him doing homework. Luka is a velcro, so he is often begging to be picked up for cuddles. It was a lot of work to teach him he cannot spend every minute on me, but I was able to teach him to play on the playstand with time. He was often sitting in my hair while I studied. Many times I had to study with one hand while he took a nap in my other hand.

Your best bet for a good personality is to buy from a great breeder. Someone who spends a lot of time cuddling and socializing the babies. It raises your chances of ending up with a sweet and tame bird. However, each bird is an individual so you never know. Parrotlets are known for their sass, so you can expect occasional nippiness.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I managed to have parrotlets during my time in college. And Linearis is in college right now and is making it work with Ari. It is definitely doable. Their cage should definitely be in your room though. I would not trust your housemates. Birds like to be included but the constant activity of 7 people plus friends would be too much to handle every day. Plus their lungs are very sensitive. Candles, chemical cleaners, burnt food, etc. from your housemates would harm your bird. Definitely keep them in your room. I've always kept Milo and Luka's cages in my bedroom.
Exactly - would never want to discourage someone from getting a parrot but its helpful to take a good look at lifestyle to see if it would fit. Being a student does not automatically mean pets are a bad idea. For me personally, it wouldn't have worked but it works out for lots of people. :)

My old housemates used to love scented candles (I hate them, but that's my preference) - that's a good point. It would not have been fair for me to tell her not to use them since it's her house too.

Petsmart has a great simple play stand for sale for like.. $40 CAN? https://www.petsmart.ca/bird/toys-p...s-bird-activity-center-13992.html?cgid=400208 I have a similar one (but mine is over 10 years old from my previous parrot so the style has changed a little). I dunno how much it is in US dollar or stirling as I'm Canadian, but my guess is like 30 bucks american? That would be a great addition and your little one can sit on it when you study... Monty sits on his (or me) when I work from home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.