Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I am very confused i brought 2 parrotlets from a pet shop 6wweks ago so they are around 21weeks old I asked in the pet shop if I could purchase one bird was informed know they are a bonded pair so I have both of them they get on so well together in the same cage I went back to the pet shop to confirm they are not siblings? There NOT I have purchased a divided cage flight cage really nice please can anyone tell me to leave them together or separate them? Im getting mixed messages? The pet shop had told me to keep them together and DONT put nesting box in cage I not bothered if they don't bond with me. I want to right thing for them.
Pet supply Wood Gas Rectangle Bird
Pet supply Wood Gas Rectangle Bird

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Parrotlets are known for aggression - I believe they are the most aggressive species of parrot. Sometimes parrotlets can exist as a bonded pair in the same cage, but if there are any signs of aggression, they can't be together because it can escalate and end in serious injury or death. Additionally, male and female parrotlets living together in the same cage successfully will most likely mate and the female will most likely lay eggs, which is very hard on her body and to be avoided if you aren't looking to breed.
I really like the side-by-side you got. They still have access to each other, but they also can escape each other. You can let them be supervised together out of their cages if you wish, but when you aren't there you will know that the worst that can happen is a toe injury (parrotlets tend to go for toes in other birds, btw).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for your advice I will let them be together but a will really keep my eye on them? If they display any aggression I have the facility to divide there cage up into to cages i believe they have bonded from a very early age and are NOT siblings

1 - 5 of 5 Posts