Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I am very confused i brought 2 parrotlets from a pet shop 6wweks ago so they are around 21weeks old I asked in the pet shop if I could purchase one bird was informed know they are a bonded pair so I have both of them they get on so well together in the same cage I went back to the pet shop to confirm they are not siblings? There NOT I have purchased a divided cage flight cage really nice please can anyone tell me to leave them together or separate them? Im getting mixed messages? The pet shop had told me to keep them together and DONT put nesting box in cage I not bothered if they don't bond with me. I want to right thing for them.
Pet supply Wood Gas Rectangle Bird
Pet supply Wood Gas Rectangle Bird

·
Super Moderator
5,183 Posts
Parrotlets are known for aggression - I believe they are the most aggressive species of parrot. Sometimes parrotlets can exist as a bonded pair in the same cage, but if there are any signs of aggression, they can't be together because it can escalate and end in serious injury or death. Additionally, male and female parrotlets living together in the same cage successfully will most likely mate and the female will most likely lay eggs, which is very hard on her body and to be avoided if you aren't looking to breed.
I really like the side-by-side you got. They still have access to each other, but they also can escape each other. You can let them be supervised together out of their cages if you wish, but when you aren't there you will know that the worst that can happen is a toe injury (parrotlets tend to go for toes in other birds, btw).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Parrotlets are known for aggression - I believe they are the most aggressive species of parrot. Sometimes parrotlets can exist as a bonded pair in the same cage, but if there are any signs of aggression, they can't be together because it can escalate and end in serious injury or death. Additionally, male and female parrotlets living together in the same cage successfully will most likely mate and the female will most likely lay eggs, which is very hard on her body and to be avoided if you aren't looking to breed.
I really like the side-by-side you got. They still have access to each other, but they also can escape each other. You can let them be supervised together out of their cages if you wish, but when you aren't there you will know that the worst that can happen is a toe injury (parrotlets tend to go for toes in other birds, btw).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for your advice I will let them be together but a will really keep my eye on them? If they display any aggression I have the facility to divide there cage up into to cages i believe they have bonded from a very early age and are NOT siblings

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts
I know it is difficult to sort information out - there are always different opinions on pretty much everything, including the subject of keeping parrotlets together in the same cage. Sometimes it works out very well. Other times, it can have tragic consequences. There is a wide range of Parrotlet personality - I learned this simply from reading the posts on this forum. Some adapt very easily to their new homes, some take a long time. Some are very willing to try new food - others are picky eaters. Some (not many) don’t show much aggression - others are very aggressive. It will just depend on the birds you have and all you can do is the best you can for them, which you clearly are doing. Monitor your little birds to see how they’re doing. You will learn their little ways of showing when they are happy or not. They will be adjusting to their new cages so give it some time. They are territorial about their cages so they will need a little time to adjust to the new ones.

·
Administrator
5,316 Posts
Thank you so much for your advice I will let them be together but a will really keep my eye on them? If they display any aggression I have the facility to divide there cage up into to cages i believe they have bonded from a very early age and are NOT siblings
Here is the thing in your situation. As said parrotlets can be aggressive and terrirorial. Your guys are very young. At the age they are now they are not a "bonded pair" they are effectively "flock mates". Good friends may be a better way of saying it. Within the next two years they will mature and go through a lot of hormonal phases, about the same as humans do from age 0-20. Some of those phases can be very volatile, mercurial in nature. So it is best to be prepared to separate them if one becomes over dominant and starts to bully the other bird. There is a joke / saying among bird people that it is all fun and games until somebody loses a toe. Sort of sums things up nicely in a dark undertone. So be watchful. If they get aggressive they will go for feet and eyes. Soon as they do separate them in cages where they can not get to each other in any way. Then wait it out for a bit. Parrotlets are sentient beings. Constantly changing, everyone its own special being. Most are very friendly loving critters. But they do have moods, and sometimes some birds are just more moody than others. So you will just have to see what your guys grow up to be. Things I do know that help in multibird situations. One is space. Big cages, both separate or together. Also I think free flight helps. The more room to run the less chance of a fight. With that still look for birds running from the other or birds chasing the other. Too much of that is a signal. Also, birds are like small children. Second thing is they get jealous easily and share it just as easily. Be that about food, treats or time with people. So just keep an eye one that and play it as it comes.

Now with that all out there I can honestly say having two birds is nice. I have done it twice for about a year each time and it worked well. But it does depend on everybody involved, bird and human.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is the thing in your situation. As said parrotlets can be aggressive and terrirorial. Your guys are very young. At the age they are now they are not a "bonded pair" they are effectively "flock mates". Good friends may be a better way of saying it. Within the next two years they will mature and go through a lot of hormonal phases, about the same as humans do from age 0-20. Some of those phases can be very volatile, mercurial in nature. So it is best to be prepared to separate them if one becomes over dominant and starts to bully the other bird. There is a joke / saying among bird people that it is all fun and games until somebody loses a toe. Sort of sums things up nicely in a dark undertone. So be watchful. If they get aggressive they will go for feet and eyes. Soon as they do separate them in cages where they can not get to each other in any way. Then wait it out for a bit. Parrotlets are sentient beings. Constantly changing, everyone its own special being. Most are very friendly loving critters. But they do have moods, and sometimes some birds are just more moody than others. So you will just have to see what your guys grow up to be. Things I do know that help in multibird situations. One is space. Big cages, both separate or together. Also I think free flight helps. The more room to run the less chance of a fight. With that still look for birds running from the other or birds chasing the other. Too much of that is a signal. Also, birds are like small children. Second thing is they get jealous easily and share it just as easily. Be that about food, treats or time with people. So just keep an eye one that and play it as it comes.

Now with that all out there I can honestly say having two birds is nice. I have done it twice for about a year each time and it worked well. But it does depend on everybody involved, bird and human.
The hormonal phase sucks and is very painful. Mine turned from a sweet cotton fluff into a razor beak trying to draw blood at every given opportunity. That phase will eventually subside. They might get along great but you should get yourself a small cheap cage incase you need to separate them.

·
Administrator
5,316 Posts
Good evening thank you so much for your advice I have a new cage now which is great I can decide it up In to 2 cages so any fighting I can separate them in a flash 🤣
Just be sure to have a divider that is solid or designed so they can not nip each other through it.

·
Administrator
5,316 Posts
The hormonal phase sucks and is very painful. Mine turned from a sweet cotton fluff into a razor beak trying to draw blood at every given opportunity. That phase will eventually subside. They might get along great but you should get yourself a small cheap cage incase you need to separate them.
Yep, going through that with Rio. There are days he nips so much I want to but a cork on his beak for a bit of relief. Still, he is getting better at the moment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts