Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I am new to parrotlets and I just bought a baby parrotlet (2 months ish). He is now currently eating baby bird “porridge” from the brand exact and i mixed it with baby porridge from the brand sun (indonesia’s brand) because he doesn’t want to eat the exact porridge on its own. For a few days his poop is normal, like light yellow-curry and just this morning his poop is dark brown color.
Window Wood Plant Branch Lighting
Window Wood Plant Branch Lighting

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
How old is he/she? Was he/she already weaned when you got him/her?
Poop color changes quite a bit with what they eat. Especially with a young bird.
Do you have him on millet yet?

·
Registered
462 Posts
You should check the poos throughout the day, see if this is a one off. Sometimes they can have one weird poo and then the rest are all fine. I agree with Ozzie, if the bird is weaning and has eaten something a little different, that can account for it.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If your baby is 8 weeks old or older, it should be already weaned. You used the word, " Porridge " and this means , to me, your baby is not weaned or fully weaned. Put a spray of millet seed in the cage. Let it hang there while the p'lett is young. It is very good for them. If not weaned, then put the spray in the cage anyway.

If you are going to raise your bird with a seed mix and not pellets, which I recommend as a personal preference, then get a good mix for a small hook bill, or a cockatiel mix. Budgie mix is not good enough! Then, after fully weaned, start offering a little bit of fresh veggies for your bird. A fresh broccoli floret put between the bars of the cage can be left there all day long without spoiling. Good treats are hemp seeds, nutriberries, freeze dried strawberries or fresh , a few sunflower seeds ( not many per day).....
Please tell us as much as you can about your bird. Does he have covered sleep 11-12 hours a day? Are there any other pets around, etc, etc...

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If your baby is 8 weeks old or older, it should be already weaned. You used the word, " Porridge " and this means , to me, your baby is not weaned or fully weaned. Put a spray of millet seed in the cage. Let it hang there while the p'lett is young. It is very good for them. If not weaned, then put the spray in the cage anyway.

If you are going to raise your bird with a seed mix and not pellets, which I recommend as a personal preference, then get a good mix for a small hook bill, or a cockatiel mix. Budgie mix is not good enough! Then, after fully weaned, start offering a little bit of fresh veggies for your bird. A fresh broccoli floret put between the bars of the cage can be left there all day long without spoiling. Good treats are hemp seeds, nutriberries, freeze dried strawberries or fresh , a few sunflower seeds ( not many per day).....
Please tell us as much as you can about your bird. Does he have covered sleep 11-12 hours a day? Are there any other pets around, etc, etc...

Dave
I can’t get my Archie to try anything fresh. It’s been all bird food, rowdy bush and millet. I put something in everyday, but he wont go near it. Any ideas, I know he needs fresh food…

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
I can’t get my Archie to try anything fresh. It’s been all bird food, rowdy bush and millet. I put something in everyday, but he wont go near it. Any ideas, I know he needs fresh food…
What food does he like and will he eat? Sprinkle the food he likes on or mix it with the fresh stuff. The issue in a baby bird is they just do not understand it is food. Also present the food in different ways.

Another trick is to eat it with him. Birds are flock animals and enjoy flock community. They prefer to eat when we eat many prefer to eat what we eat.

Reactions: oregoncheryl

·
Registered
13 Posts
What food does he like and will he eat? Sprinkle the food he likes on or mix it with the fresh stuff. The issue in a baby bird is they just do not understand it is food. Also present the food in different ways.

Another trick is to eat it with him. Birds are flock animals and enjoy flock community. They prefer to eat when we eat many prefer to eat what we eat.
Excellent advice. I love to snack on fresh fruits and veggies and Tito has BEGGED to try things from my hand that he turned up his beak at when they were in the bowl.

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
Excellent advice. I love to snack on fresh fruits and veggies and Tito has BEGGED to try things from my hand that he turned up his beak at when they were in the bowl.
I always find that funny. I will set some fruit like blackberries out only to have it ignored. The I will start to eat blackberries on my own since the are out and they are all “give me some of that”. Our little clowns are quite selfish in this way, but it can be useful to help manipulate them. Works on all foods. It is how I got Jules to eat Nutriberries. Just started to look like I eat them myself.

Reactions: oregoncheryl

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks for the advice. We’re still working on him letting me handle him, not there yet. Trying to take it slow, but cannot wait till he wants to be with me……so darn cute! Maybe having some food nearby would help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the advice. We’re still working on him letting me handle him, not there yet. Trying to take it slow, but cannot wait till he wants to be with me……so darn cute! Maybe having some food nearby would help.
Even if you can't handle him yet, sitting next to the cage and eating something yummy might also slowly help him want to be with you more. If you offer him a bite of what you're eating through the cage, could be a great way to help him see you more positively, as "bringer of tasty treats". Tito even has a particular "pip" noise he makes when he sees me eating and wants to have a bite. We call it "the beggin' pip".

One thing I'd caution you about, though, is to make sure to cut up some tiny pieces to give your baby a bite and put them in your bowl to have ready. My avian vet cautioned me that sharing food directly (like letting my bird bite off the apple where I had just bitten it) could cause bacterial transfer from my mouth to my bird, and that could get him sick. So when we eat a treat, we always make sure to slice a bit off that's just for Tito and keep it in a corner of the bowl away from what we're eating. :)

Tito loves fruit, so perhaps something sweet might entice your baby over for a taste? We've had great luck with banana, apple, strawberry, plums and cherries (don't give them the pits, though!), and even sweet baby carrots. :)

Good luck again! I absolutely love that you're being patient with your bird and not forcing the interactions.

Best,
Cheryl and 💙Tito💙

1 - 10 of 10 Posts