Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading this forum for about a week after I decided that I wanted a bird and I wanted a parrotlet.

I picked up Bauer (My girlfriend and I named him that) yesterday. He has a nice cage, lots of food, nice perches, etc etc. He was hatched November 26ish, so he's really young.

The wonderful breeder lady recommended i take him out in a day (today), handle him, etc etc. This is my first bird - not my first pet, but my first bird.

So when I go into the cage to get him, he opens his beak and acts like he's gunna bite me. I let him sit a while, with me outside his cage and the door open, and I talk to him - but everytime I try to get him he runs/flys away.

He eventually flew out the cage, and I got him and held him in my hand (like at the breeders place), and he was comfortable. i rubbed his neck and petted his head, and then let him sit on this playground perch thing, but then it was a battle to pick him up again. I picked him up and put him back into the cage, and he's not moving but sitting on his perch.

I am going to take him out again at lunch for a little bit, hopefully, to get him used to me.

So my questions (for you wonderfully more experienced):

1- Am I handling him right? Do I want to keep handling him until he gets used to me, or am I just messing with him?

2- What has worked for you with a new bird? He's young, but I want to train him right. The breeder recommended that I take him out, but not spoil him. I'm a spoiler (ask my girl), but how do you treat your birds? Was there a "rough" period when you first brought him home?

3- The breeder gave me a bunch of the seed mix she's been feeding him, but I wanna start switching it out with something I can get close to me. What other food(s) should I feed him/prepare? I read that green beans, and other vegetables, but what should I start him on?

4- What's important to do so he's tame, happy, and I can handle him lots?

I work from home (web application programmer), so he's in the office with me. I'm in one corner, he's in the other, so he's not alone hardly ever, so he'll know me pretty quickly.

Any other suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks!

Andy

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Welcome aboard and good luck with Bauer!

Remember to be patient and calm. The little guy just has his world turned upside down and has no clue as to who you are. Spend lots of time with him and he will come around (probobly in a few days). Taming and training birds is about small progress steps and lots of repetition.

I would recommend switching him to pellets rather than seed. That way, pellets will always be an option. If you wait, it may be impossible to transition to them later in life. I use Harrison's - either fine or extra fine
http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/

Also, there is a link to a list of avian vets somewhere on this site, find one near you and make sure he's comfortable with birds the size of parrotlets. It's better to have the vet lined up before you need him/her

Once he's tame, keep him off of your keyboard...bird poop is tough to get out from between the keys! :D

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I agree, he is young and doesn't know or trust you yet. That is normal. Just takes time. You will see a difference as each day and week goes by and it is very rewarding to have them change and become close to you.

Chipper was really wild at 7 months old. I handled her and petted her like you did. Daily. Talking and singing, quiet music, etc. is good.

When he is in the cage, take a safflower seed and offer it to him. This really helped Chipper.

Teach the Step up and put him on a playgym near you while you are on the computer. Have treats and toys there. Avi cakes, birdie popcorn, millet, birdie bread etc. Water too.

I offer pellets, but I also give Chipper Topper seeds. I think Parrotlets are so active, they are good as long as many other fresh foods are given. Chipper eats millet, seed, fresh birdie breads, muffins, veggies, fruit, a veggie/sweet potato mash.

Make sure the cage is large with 1/2 inch spacing. Lots of fun toys and several kinds of perches. My cage is large enough to have lots of rope perches that bend. I use a Feather Brite full spectrum light for two hours a day.

Does he get 12 hours of very good, quiet sleep? Sleep and food is important. Just like it is for us.

How nice that you work at home! Get a nice Playgym or two and put them together. Chipper loves when I put them side by side. You bird can get to know you and be near you that way.

Just always be careful about the stove, hot pans, open toilets, other pets. Also, don't use candles and teflon pans.

Welcome! I can't wait to see photos!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies! You've helped me feel better about how I'm handling him.

Today was a kinda weird day, I do have a playgym right by the keyboard and my main workstation (two lcds.. nice cisco phone, etc..hehe im a geek too). So I've been putting him there when I'm on the computer for extended periods of time.

The first time, after awhile, he took off - but didnt get far. He ended up flying into the closet door and it sound like he hit it hard? He seemed okay, but I put him in the cage.

I took him out this afternoon, put him on the playgym, and he hung out for awhile. He's usually quiet, but then he started looking at me, moving his head back and forth a little bit, and chirping. Then he started exploring his playgym, but got spooked on the toy in the middle of the rope. I tried to hold it stable, but then he got spooked, and flew toward the window and hit it hard - like the closet.

I got him and put him back on the playgym. He's looking at me right now ;)

It's just weird, I guess, since I'm new. I worry that I seen him sneeze once, and it looks like he yawns a lot (opens his little cute beak, and makes a big yawn).

He itches some it seems, he's always itching himself, or puffing up then readjusting.

I guess I just want assurance that I'm taking care of him okay, and I'm treating him okay. I wanna spoil the crap out of him :)

Now he's chirping a lot again and looking at me from different angles and flapping his wings. is that normal? or is he agitated? Or am I just a new parent thats scared of everything?

Thanks.

Andy

Here's a pic:

( the link to the highres pic is here: http://www.unf.net/mybird/jan2007-bauer-1-big.jpg )

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It sounds like his wings aren't clipped. Your little guy has not grasped the concept of walls and windows yet. I'd get his wings clipped, at least for now. If you don't have experience with this, your vet or breeder can do this for you. A lot of birds die from broken necks due to flying into things.

Cliped wings also help with taming and training.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. very cute bird.

PPS. The chirping and excitement is you being a new parrotlet and him being an excitable infant. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like his wings aren't clipped. Your little guy has not grasped the concept of walls and windows yet. I'd get his wings clipped, at least for now. If you don't have experience with this, your vet or breeder can do this for you. A lot of birds die from broken necks due to flying into things.

Cliped wings also help with taming and training.
The breeder lady clipped them. I saw her, she said I should let a vet do it, but she clipped the wings with scissors - he has a straight edge. He can fly, he just cant go too high.

Should I take him to a vet?

Thanks!

Andy

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Tough call. The wings aren't clipped enough but if the vet is too agressive with the clipping the bird will fall like a stone if it tries to fly - not a good situation either (my girl hurt her leg as a result of this). The ideal (in my opinion) is if the bird can generate enough lift to glide to the ground in about 5-7 feet from 4 feet up but the ideal isn't easy to achieve.

On a positive note, he isn't going full speed on clipped wings so he isn't hitting his head as hard as he would if he was fully flighted (my birds are fully flighted and they can MOVE! :cool: - take a look at the LAPS thread).

Regards,

Art S.

PS. I'd take him to the vet in a few days (make sure he/she is an avian vet experienced with small birds) but mostly to set a baseline for your bird's health

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Chipper flies clipped or not. You can place landing areas around for him. Another gym maybe. It is awful when they hit a wall. Chipper has learned where her cage is and goes right for it. She does this when she is hungry and wants some food there.

He is so pretty. That perch is kind of wide. Does he also have rope perches, sandy concrete perches, etc? I like to give Chipper lots to choose from when perching.

I think things will be just fine with you and your birdie!!!

·
Registered
794 Posts
This just a thought..He's is by nature nosey. If you could just let him be where he can see you and watch. New things scare them, let him get a look at the stuff he now owns, his gym, You, your work station. His little brain is processing all he sees. It takes a while for him to settle in and see how things work around him. You can change his seed but I have read to do it gradually sometimes babies will not eat. I have a food phobic girl at my house. Offer him the new with his regular food so you know he is eating , don't start the food wars that I have gotten myself into...they will win.lol P'let spook easily and he could get hurt be careful and secure the room. What about just leaving his cage open for a little while and see where he goes in the room, sit still, room secure and see what he does. If he doesn't come out then call it good and try another day. They live 20 years you have plenty of time to handle him, let him come to you. He will.Oh yeah leave him a little corner of the cage covered during the day, just a little place so he can rest and feel safe. Believe me he may act aloof like he's not watching your every move but he is , like a little sponge. They are like little children and very very smart. Don't laugh but if you have a little silly song in ya, share it with him and do it regular, he will listen for it and know you by it. He's so cute and your so lucky, you couldn't have picked a better pet. Nice to meet you and glad you joined us...Mem

You docover the cage at night? and no colder than 65 degrees.OK?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts